Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post

I need ab exercise ideas. Hate sit ups.
    Look up Pilates. Ignore any spiritual crap... the workouts themselves are phenomenal for building core strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
      Tag. No hunts planned this year but I need to get back on my training schedule.

Does anyone have a weighted vest they would recommend?
      I have this one. It is really well built.

Comment

Know your limitations while out working.

J.R. Oppenheim
        June 06, 2017 04:31 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- After an 11-hour rescue operation Monday, the Sandoval County Sheriff's Office confirmed one hiker died and two others were rescued after being stranded in a remote area west of Albuquerque.

SCSO Lt. Robert Chavez said Jimmy Fish sustained a medical episode and collapsed during a hiking trip. Fish and the two other hikers began their trek in the morning hours and traversed eight hours in rough terrain. Temperatures hit the low 90s in the area.

Once Fish collapsed, one of the other hikers tried to phone 911 while other started CPR on Fish. However, those efforts were not successful, Chavez said. The hikers moved Fish's both under a tree while they waited to be rescued.

Crews began searching for the hikers shortly before 1 p.m. Chavez said one of the hikers got reception on his phone by climbing up Mt. Taylor near Guadalupe Ghost Town. An air unit found the men, and the two survivors were airlifted to safety around 6 p.m. A second helicopter recovered Fish's body around 11:30 p.m.

Fish, of Placitas, was the uncle of one of the hikers. Their ages have not been released. The cause of death for Fish remains unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          I will look that one up. I follow Steven Rinella, and he has a good podcast on backcountry fitness. Needless to say, my take away from listening to him is that all the crossfit stuff, while good for you, doesn't map to what you need in the backcountry. Putting in the miles, breaking in your boots, and taking care of our feet is what matters (at least that is what I gleaned from it.) Ironically, yoga was one of the suprising things. I personally can't stand yoga and prefer pilates instead.
          Sort of a similar line of thought on this podcast. It was a good one. But didn't have yoga

I don't mind yoga. I feel better after a while of doing it

Comment

I have a weighted 40lbs vest that I use quite often. Like others have said it doesn't compare to an actual weighted pack. My hip flexors give me the most issues when out west. I have bands that I do adductor and abductor exercises to help strengthen. Working on my masters degree hampers my ability to workout as much as I would like, but I do stuff year round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will look that one up. I follow Steven Rinella, and he has a good podcast on backcountry fitness. Needless to say, my take away from listening to him is that all the crossfit stuff, while good for you, doesn't map to what you need in the backcountry. Putting in the miles, breaking in your boots, and taking care of our feet is what matters (at least that is what I gleaned from it.) Ironically, yoga was one of the suprising things. I personally can't stand yoga and prefer pilates instead.
              That was an interesting episode hearing him and Dirt talk about yoga. I love it and used to practice it daily but have gotten lazy the last couple years and only do it a couple days a week to help stretch my hips before or after long swims.

My wife does barre and if you want a core work out or one that will hammer small muscle groups look up some of those workouts. I'm not a fan of Pilates because of the equipment involved but yoga and barre can be done anywhere with nothing.

I was not productive at work today, spent most of my time researching packs. Decided not to get one to just "get me through" till a hunt but save up and buy a quality one. Dang they ain't cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                That was an interesting episode hearing him and Dirt talk about yoga. I love it and used to practice it daily but have gotten lazy the last couple years and only do it a couple days a week to help stretch my hips before or after long swims.

My wife does barre and if you want a core work out or one that will hammer small muscle groups look up some of those workouts. I'm not a fan of Pilates because of the equipment involved but yoga and barre can be done anywhere with nothing.

I was not productive at work today, spent most of my time researching packs. Decided not to get one to just "get me through" till a hunt but save up and buy a quality one. Dang they ain't cheap!
                I was introduced to pilates using reformer pilates. While having a personal trainer and the reformer machine is awesome... I find mat pilates equally as challenging and obviously requires no equipment. I have a couple DVDs that have a few mat routines to use.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Did a 3 mile ruck and a 2 mile ruck this morning, both with 20#. Then did a 5 mile unweighted walk at lunch.

Comment

Do you know which number or the title of the fitness podcast??

Did a 3 mile ruck and a 2 mile ruck this morning, both with 20#. Then did a 5 mile unweighted walk at lunch.

Looks like you are putting in some good miles I did two hours of basketball Tuesday and took a knee to my right calf which kept me off the stairclimber but I must have walked three hours both yesterday and today each.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Do you know which number or the title of the fitness podcast??

Looks like you are putting in some good miles I did two hours of basketball Tuesday and took a knee to my right calf which kept me off the stairclimber but I must have walked three hours both yesterday and today each.
                      I had to look it up. Pretty sure it is 49. If you have listened to his podcasts, you probably know they chit chat alot around just a few preplanned topics. He mentions fitness and foot care often as it comes up in a few podcasts... but according to the notes I think 49 is the one I am thinking of.

Comment

I'm about to head out on a 3-4 mile run then do DT.

Has anyone ever been to a yoga studio? I'm thinking about going to try hot yoga sat. I feel like I could use the flexibility and it should be a good workout in a 105 degree room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

8 miles with 50# in the Timberline followed up by hang cleans and dead lifts, was freak'n hot today and my dang feet are swollen nice and big.

If you want to learn from someone who makes a living training mountain athletes, and not a writer. Check out Rob Shaul, here is a good one to start with. https://journalofmountainhunting.com...orthy-chassis/

Comment

Try "Running DT" you RUN, as in actually run hard a 400 between each round of DT, it is terrible. Dang it boy!

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            I'm about to head out on a 3-4 mile run then do DT.

Has anyone ever been to a yoga studio? I'm thinking about going to try hot yoga sat. I feel like I could use the flexibility and it should be a good workout in a 105 degree room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              8 miles with 50# in the Timberline followed up by hang cleans and dead lifts, was freak'n hot today and my dang feet are swollen nice and big.

If you want to learn from someone who makes a living training mountain athletes, and not a writer. Check out Rob Shaul, here is a good one to start with. https://journalofmountainhunting.com...orthy-chassis/
                              I have his mountain hunter workout and it's vey intense

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                I have his mountain hunter workout and it's vey intense
                                Yep, the last 8 weeks before my elk hunt every year for the past two years...it makes me want to cry on his mini events on Saturday. 3-4 hours of whoop butt by the time you are done.

Comment

Working...
                                X