Best Dove Fillet Recipe... Prize awarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goathead Ranch Dove

marinate birds over nite(my marinade recipe below)
    place 1 half breast fillet on a 1/2 strip of bacon
    stack a thin chunk of purple onion and 1 slice of jalapeno on top
    wrap and secure with tooth pick
    season with tony's and coarse ground pepper
    put on medium hot grill
    baste with mopping sauce (recipe below) :cook til bacon is done

goat head ranch marinade
    ------------------------------
    small bottle zesty Italian dressing
    can of regular coke-- reserve 1/2
    2 tblsp Worcestershire
    1 tblsp soy sauce
    1/4 cup Head Country BBQ sauce
    4 liberal splashes of Yucatan habanero hot sauce
    DISCLAIMER --- all measurements are approximate dependent upon alcohol consumed!

Mopping sauce
    ----------------
    make a thin mopping sauce with the left over BBQ sauce and coke with a couple of spashes of habanero hot sauce ( I prefer Yucatan sunshine brand)

serve with- Mexican rice
    - black bean & corn salsa
    - tortillas

Comment

First I marinate myself for a few hours in Shiner Bock, then cook them anyway you want and they are delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by dallred View Post
        Marinate fillets overnight in Italian dressing
        Pair each fillet with a pickled jalapeno slice
        Wrap fillet and jalapeno slice with 1/2 strip of peppered bacon
        Place bacon wraps on soaked bamboo skewers
        Grill over charcoal or natural wood fire to your satisfaction
        Yummy!!!
        this!

Comment

Dove carnitas!! Want to make some dove jerky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do your popers w the jalapeno stuffed w cream cheese and chedar sprinkled on top of that. Then lay on your dove breast wrap w a medium thick cut of bacon. Grill em till the bacon is crispy. I sprinkle on ragin blaze on the bacon while it's grilling. Grill on low heat for 30 mins to avoid flare ups

Comment

Doesn't sound like it but hands down get jal. Bacon then brush with BBQ.. not sure why but it sound kinda.. "eh.." but is awesome.. not expecting to win but do try it one day..

Comment

filet the breast off the bone
                lemon pepper marinade
                Dijon mustard
                chopped cilantro optional
                cayenne
                crushed red pepper

mix together and marinate over night

slice slivers of white onion
                either slice fresh jalapeno or get the pickled sliced jalapenos

fold the breast in half put jalapeno and onion slice in the middle hold It together using toothpick

flash grill at high heat with jap and onion on the grill and the breast facing up then flip for the last 30-60 seconds do not cook over medium.

Comment

Not very original here but not normal either...This hits my inner fatboy perfectly.

deep fried dove popper

dove filet, jalapeno, pepper jack cheese, wrapped in bacon, battered and deep fried. I like seasoning the meat in Italian dressing or Famous Daves burger/steak seasoning.

I hate cream cheese...but I guess the pepper jack could subbed with cream cheese.
                  Last edited by landman650; 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

i still do them in halved jalapenos like poppers / ABTs
                    but i run the breasts meat through the meat grinder
                    then blend it with some seasoning
                    then stir in some cream cheese and grated cheddar
                    then wrap with a piece of bacon
                    then cook them high - 8" on a 22" OldSmokey
                    on a Kevlar FrogMat grill mat
                    and from another bbq message board we learned about butcher's card holders
                    which we use instead of toothpicks
                    they're stainless = dishwasher
                    Attached Files

Comment

Poppers.

Piece of purple onion as a base. layer cream cheese into it, lay on dove breast, Jalapeno on top, wrap in bacon and secure with skewer. Please in deep bowl and cover with syrup and a topping of brown sugar. Let marinate for at least 4 hours. Grill and keep basting with the syrup. Big sticky mess of deliciousness.

Comment

Love the ideas but the contest aspect of this ended the same day I started this thread. Maybe we could compile a cookbook of dove recipes

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                          Heres another that I have saved off to try - like most, it's not my original recipe.

Hot Fried Birds (serves 4)
                          12 whole doves, plucked and gutted
                          1 cup buttermilk
                          kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
                          2 cups all-purpose flour
                          oil or lard, for frying
                          3 tablespoons unsalted butter
                          4 tablespoons honey
                          4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
                          3 tablespoons hot sauce
                          4 thinly sliced jalapeƱos
                          1/4 cup fresh herb leaves, such as parsley or marjoram

Halve the birds by cutting down one side of the breastbone and through the ribs with a sharp, heavy knife. Repeat on the opposite side, effectively removing the breastbone. Soak the halves in buttermilk for 4 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Remove the birds from the buttermilk, season well with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour. Shake off the excess flour and refrigerate them for at least half an hour.
                          Heat 4 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a fryer or large pot.

Melt the butter, then combine it with the honey, garlic, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
                          Fry the birds in batches until golden brown and crisp, 3 or 4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.

Toss the fried birds with the melted-butter mixture, add the jalapeƱos and herbs, and transfer to a plate. Serve immediately.

I love this recipe ,primarily become it uses the whole bird. I know the breast is the best part and there is very little on the rest to eat,but I was brought up to not waste a morsel of edible meat. We pick them each ,singe them,dunk in buttermilk,salt ,pepper and dredge in flour and fry....Momma use to fry in bacon grease but we don't have that canister on the Back of the stove now. We
                          Use canola or whatever was on sale. My daddy would have a pile of squeaky clean bones on the side of his plate.

Comment

I love popers but I get tired of them as well. As I stated in an earlier post. Soak in salt water for a few hours. Pour the water off and put Hellmans mayonnaise in the bag and coat each breast well. Fridge over night and grill the next day. I leave them on the bone for this recipe. Don't add salt! The mayo has enough. You guys don't know what you are missing.

Comment

soak them for a week and make stew?

Comment

Lightly fry them then serve over red beans and rice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X