X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted the three a few times, shot an 11 pt.
      Take a comfortable chair the blinds are ok but it is just a board, they hunt both sides of FM 2288, also take a cart of you want to haul your corn, chair. Some of the blinds are a 1/2 mile in. I was in pasture #3, there were 3 blinds in it. If you can get the pasture that looks down in the bottom of the dried lake bed, it is by an old boat ramp, on a youth hunt seen a nice 8, 10 with a lot of javalinas. All of the park employees are real nice.

Comment

I’ve bow hunted there a lot over the years. Lots of deer. Got my first bow doe and buck out there. Hunt Twin Buttes now as the state park severely limited the days we can bow hunt because of all the draw hunts so everything I tell you is 2 years ago. Here’s a pic of the haul from one morning of a draw hunt in 2015.

Best luck will be on the lake side of 2288 as walk on bow hunting is limited to the other side of 2288 so less pressure on lake side but with less days to bow hunt now that might not be as true. Been on one youth draw doe hunt. We only saw bucks. Figures. We were in area 1.

I can tell you about areas 1-7 as I’ve hunted each a lot. 1 has mostly bucks. Couple blinds almost mile walk.
        2 has almost all doe. Short walk in this small area to blind on dam of normally dry tank. 2 is were I got my first bow kill.
        3 is mix of deer. Hunted this area the least.
        4. Don’t think they use anymore. Too close to houses. Lot of doe
        5 is good mix. Seen a few pigs here as well.
        6 is mix but have seen some good bucks here. Were I got my first bow buck. Seen a few pigs.
        7 is mix and have seen a couple axis here.

1,6&7 usually have longhorn on them so be aware. The state sprayed all the mesquite in the park 3-4 years ago except along creeks and river. Didn’t seem to affect deer at all. Though I never hunted the lake side have driven around and always seen deer. Area 8 on north end looks like a good area and if any area has axis this would be it. The have a nice cleaning area with a couple skinning racks. Staff has always been great in the past.
        Park is less than 5 minutes from Walmart , Sams, HEB, Academy, Chic fil a and many hotels and restaurants. Don’t speed on 2288 right before it gets into town. Slows down to 35 and they watch it close. I may be up there that week hunting at Twin Buttes and my kids live up there so pm my son 79F250 as he would love to meet up and swap stories over dinner. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Sunday bump

Comment

Just spent the weekend up there dove hunting. Had a good talk with the park ranger Saturday and he said axis are showing in greater numbers all over the lake side of 2288. Had several youth take an axis last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                Just spent the weekend up there dove hunting. Had a good talk with the park ranger Saturday and he said axis are showing in greater numbers all over the lake side of 2288. Had several youth take an axis last year.

Thanks

Comment

Any more helpful advise ?

Comment

Looks like it’s gonna be a little chilly. Hopefully an axis walks out.

Comment

Working...
                    X