No announcement yet.

Chevy 2500 with 6.0 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had 2 2002. Solid trucks. Top end speed hauling was the only thing that bothered me.

Comment

Solid and dependable as we have had several. They can take plenty punishment and never left us stranded. Just don't get one with 3.73 gears. We have had 3 from a 2001 to a 2007 and a 2008. All but 2008 had 4.10 gears. The 2008 with 3.73s and the 6 speed is a dog compared to the other two. Hit a overpass with nothing hooked up and it'll downshift almost every time on cruise at 70.

Comment

2001 origional 6.0, 338,000 miles. Regular maint. 1 water pump.
        town (stop- go) 12-13 mpg, interstate 15-16. Trailer 9-10.
        4:11 gears so no problem with trailer or getting up to hwy. speed

I will be looking for another one IF this one ever wears out.

Comment

I've got several as work trucks. Only thing is evap system issues, but those em to be on the '15's more than the others. Ive retired several at 400,000+ miles.

Comment

I've put 200k on a 2012 6.0 2500, 120k on a 2013 6.0 2500, 100k on a 2012 6.0 2500, and 60k on another 2013 6.0 2500. I beat the hell out of those trucks and never had an issue. Extremely reliable, crappy gas mileage, and pretty boring trucks. Exactly what you expect from a good work truck.

Comment

I had an '02 2500HD that I put 200K on with 35's and a small lift. One of the most reliable (if not the most) trucks I've ever had. Cranked up every time I needed it to and got me well acquainted with gas pumps. I NEVER got more than 13MPG out of that thing, I stayed religiously around 11.5 to 12 no matter if I was pulling or not, but I have a heavy foot. It pulled a small gooseneck and my 18 ft TT fine, but when I upgraded to heavier stuff I had to make a change. I now regret selling that thing as it would have been a bad A lease rig now. I'd have another one!!

Comment

01, replacing front-end now only because I use the dogchit out of it. 245k and motor is still strong. Generally has a trailer behind it at all times. HD says it all.

Comment

Don't know if it's fixed in the 2012 model, but the dash on my 2010 cracked at about 115K. I put a dash cap on it to hide the cracks and to keep it from rattling. I had to replace a front axle seal at about 120K, and my fuel level sensor is on the fritz. Those are the only issues I've had with the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

Comment

I have an 07 with 150k miles. Just changed the brakes for the first time. Having the belts and diff fluid changed this week .Other than that perfect truck. Except for me wrecking it!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get it and don't worry. Those Gen III vortec engines are as good as it gets.
                        The HD2500 6.0L does not have active fuel management AFM so you should never have a problem with oil consumption or power loss.

Comment

My work issued truck is a 12 with the 6.0. It has been a very reliable truck, but the engine is gutless. Have around 80K on it now with a life time fuel economy of 11.8.

Comment

Originally posted by mjames76 View Post
                            I drive a 2013 4x4 2500 every day at work and don't get close to the mileage y'all are reporting. If I baby it around I get 10.5-11. It's not loaded with a bunch of tools or anything. It has trouble pulling itself up a small hill without downshifting. My dad has a 01 and it's a completely different truck but still only get 13mpg.

THIS^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                            Solid and dependable as we have had several. They can take plenty punishment and never left us stranded. Just don't get one with 3.73 gears. We have had 3 from a 2001 to a 2007 and a 2008. All but 2008 had 4.10 gears. The 2008 with 3.73s and the 6 speed is a dog compared to the other two. Hit a overpass with nothing hooked up and it'll downshift almost every time on cruise at 70.
                            THIS^^^^

I have a 2010 2500 flat bed with 3.73 gears. I get 12 on the hwy empty and about 8 or 9 with a trailer. I have always felt it lacked in the power dept. It only has 150K on it and has never giving any trouble.

Comment

I don't think there is a more reliable gas engine offered in a 3/4 ton. But, it's slow, weak, and gets terrible mileage.

Comment

You can easily take the dog out of the 5.3 and 6.0 with a programmer or custom dyno tune. What makes them seem like a dog is the torque management system within it's factory computer calibration. With a custom tune you can disable the speed governor and change the shift points of the transmission. There are some hand held tuners that do a good job of this and also allow you to clear codes, calibrate speedo etc. A good custom dyno tune will bring out the beast in these vortecs. The 6.0 is fully capable of 400+ hp and 475tq off the flywheel with no engine mods other than a tune. RWHP can be right at 325hp and 400tq to the ground once the shift points are set with a custom dyno tune. Hand held tuners are usually good for around 25-30 hp/tq gains, enough that you can really feel it. They don't call these Vortec GenIII engines "Hemi Killers" for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X