Yellow St. Augustine grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow St. Augustine grass

I had top dressing, mostly manure, put on my yard about 5 weeks ago. The St. Augustine grass has filled in nicely. Problem is, it is turning a bright yellow. In person it is a lot more yellow than the photo indicates. Anyone know what is causing it to turn bright yellow, instead of dark green?

Thanks,

Dr. Evil
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
    I had top dressing, mostly manure, put on my yard about 5 weeks ago. The St. Augustine grass has filled in nicely. Problem is, it is turning a bright yellow. In person it is a lot more yellow than the photo indicates. Anyone know what is causing it to turn bright yellow, instead of dark green?

Thanks,

Dr. Evil

Too much water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Iron deficiency?

Comment

St Augustine can be prone to fungus. That will turn it yellow. Try spreading a quarter inch of Canadian peat moss on it.

Comment

Too much sun? A good chunk of my lawn gets exposed to direct sunlight 10+ hours a day and it's a battle to keep it green when we're not getting any **** rain.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
            Iron deficiency?
            ^^^^ this 100%

Comment

Fungus, prolly take all root. Hit it with agricultural corn meal, then peat moss. Otherwise you'll lose it all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Comment

Fungicide. Any type.

Comment

Are you watering at night or late evening? If so this can cause a fungus and kill the grass.

Comment

Originally posted by HunterDan2006 View Post
                    St Augustine can be prone to fungus. That will turn it yellow. Try spreading a quarter inch of Canadian peat moss on it.

Dan is correct. This is Take all Root Rot. I would spread about an inch of peat moss immediately and use back side of leaf rack to spread it out evenly after tossing on the ground. Water it in and you’ll see results in a few days. It’s a messy job but it works.l, something to do with changing the ph level quickly causes the fungus to halt. Only thing I have found that works.

Comment

Milorganite

Comment

If your yard has been real wet or really damp nights, it will be a fungus. Otherwise it’s probably an iron deficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As has been said either iron deficiency or fungus. Usually you can see the fungus on the blades.

Get some ironite and broadcast on it. If you see fungus, put the peat moss on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Could also be brown patch which is another fungus commonly found in St Augustine.

Having issues with mine as well but I'm getting dark green patches. I've been to the nursery and was told it may be brown patch or take all root rot but it doesn't seem to fit the description of either. You can google them both and get some good info on how to tell between them. Just inquired with a good local lawn company so hoping they can tell me what it is.

Comment

Get some Ironite from Home Depot or Walmart. They make a liquid foliar version or granular. Liquid is more of a quick fix, granular is longer lasting. This will fix Iron deficiency and fast and turn your lawn dark green if that's the issue. If it's not iron deficiency it's still beneficial, so you could start there and see if that fixes the issue. 2-3 days and you should see a change with the liquid. Maybe longer with the granular. Combo this with something to take care of possible fungus issue and you should be good to go. Never treated a fungus issue myself, so can't give advice on that issue.
                              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 05-18-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X