No announcement yet.

Heart of texas bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my dad saw tons of deer including 3 shooters. He had one deer jump his string and he missed it. I saw one buck that was border line, at about 115 8 point. I didn't see a single deer my first 2 hunts, but my dad saw his in the first 2 hunts. Then i started seeing quite a few deer at my blind while he saw less at his. Overall kevin and craig are great people and run a good operation. I think we are going back next year.

Comment

Yall have any pics of the deer and terrain?

Comment

Have seen some good deer there............they do feed year round to answer that question. We just booked again yesterday for this coming year. Its just hit and miss in October due to the acorn crop, the first few weeks in November have been good, especially if the acorns are gone.........if not, just cross your fingers that a shooter comes in to the corn.............that seems to be the only issue. But you will always see good deer, its just having lady luck on your side and having them come into your set up

Comment

This place sounds great, I might have to try it.

Comment

I hunted with Kevin several years ago and would go back, I saw several shooter bucks and lots of deer. My only problem is the rules seem to change depending on who you are, it's their ranch and can do it if they want to but it seemed a little unfair. I have a very good or in their case a bad story but I will keep it to myself and like I said I would go back.

Comment

Some of the deer on there website harvest pics dont look to score more than high 90's to low 100's.Im thinking about going this year,I heard that when the rut is on all the big boys respond really well to rattling.If I get one into the danger zone then they have two options....DUCK...or BLEED.lol

Comment

I've hunted there 8 times in the last two seasons.I have hunted bow only for last 18yrs all over the world.I will have to say out of all places I've been I enjoy hunting here the most.I have seen over 30 shooters in those 8 hunts and have hunted in several pastures on both ranches(Lee and Price). I have to say that I havn't dealt with a more straight guy than Kevin.I typically have my wife,son, and daughter when I go.I will add I have to work my butt off to get us each a set up done in a 5 hour period.My daughter took her first deer there in 08.It was a doe n I hunted with her 4 of the 5 hunts we had to hunt that trip.I rarely ever hunt on the Sunday evening because I have to drive back here to Louisiana for work on Monday.My son killed his first trophy buck in 09 which scored 124".He aged at 3 1/2 yr of age.My wife has cost me a couple fines but hell she too took her first and second buck at HOT with a bow.She should have 2 over 120 and 1 over 135 but being a new hunter she got buck fever on several of our hunts.I can go there and stack 120+ bucks up on either the Lee or the Price.I brought a group of 6 in October of 09.Three of those 6 are on his website.I'm not looking to shoot a 120" deer so I pass them on a regular basis.My goal is for me,my family and my friends to have an enjoyable hunt and have never left disappointed.
                I have met a lot of interesting people on my hunts there.The one thing that I have learned among these hunters we all share the same passion and sometimes those of us that think they are the great white hunter may need to try a different tactic.With that being said what I suggest is if you never hunted at this ranch go there with an open mind and take the suggestions that Kevin gives and have yourself a successful hunt.As mentioned by one of the other guys that posted above,a mature buck is very reluctant to a corn pile.If he has made it to be 3 1/2yr old he's not coming run up to the set up that you can see from 50yrds away,nor the set up that the hunter set up that's too close to his bedding area.Find a good trail that has good buck sign that is easiest to get to.Less at this ranch will produce more almost every time.We as hunter seem to always enter with the mentality of "I'm good at scouting and i'm going to walk this whole area and find the best dam spot there is". Well guys that is the best thing to do at your personal lease in the spring but I promise you it will cost you 8 out of 10 times at this ranch. I have a friend that is on website from 09 with two kills.1 is 126" and other is 120 3/8". He killed both deer out of set ups that were found and set up in less than one hour each.This guy also had never hunted with a minimum measurement rule in affect.The first morning of his hunt he took a pic of a deer that was over 130 and saw him on two more occasions in 3 days but as he was a mature buck he didnt come back to corn.What I'm saying guys is for $650.00 you won't find a comparable hunt.However if you have please let me know where I need to call.I am no different than anyone else,I had never met Kevin before my first hunt in 08 and I was a little skeptical because it sounded too good to be true but I was proud to admit I was wrong about that thought and hope all can go there and have as much fun as my family and I have thus far.

Comment

Question ? If the HOT rules says (9 point @ 120" min & 10 point @ 125" min). Then why are most of the trophy pics of 8 pointers ?

Comment

That's up to a 9 point at 120 inches. An 8 point is legal at 120 or above, for that matter I'm sure if a 6 made 120 he'd be legal.

Comment

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for the info.

Comment

There maybe only 7 pics showing, but there have more deer than that taken. I know because I was there that 3 of those pics were not guided hunts, not sure about the other ones.

Comment

Any one go here this past weekend?? Me and my dad are heading out there for next weekend Nov.5-7

Comment

good luck

Comment

Hey buddydeville, how about some LDP's from your trips to HOT.

Comment

I wonder if kevin fined the mossy oak boys that shot those small bucks on his tv show deer thugs. Been there two years ago never saw any shooters, maybe its changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X