No announcement yet.

The best place you've ever hunted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunted on 6-18,000 acres of the Chilipitin ranch in Maverick county for 12 years. That was the most fun I have ever had. We didn't know much about management, but tried to age deer hoping they would get better. The real fun was having a great group of guys to hunt with, have hog bow contests with, fish, shoot ducks, slingshots, hut arrowheads, you name it.

I really miss that place. It's never the same once you own a ranch, even with the same people.

Comment

Day lease in george west growing up.

Comment

Alease the family had in Lampasas. No monsters but tons of deer. I first got on it when i was seven and stay till i was 20. then the landowner, which we had cooked and done so much cattle work and fence work, shot the price up $1000 more per hunter a year cause the lady next door did. It was me my dad, my uncle, and my grandpa. Lots of memories happened there. All my cousins shot there first deer there. Spent many hours in those cedar thickets.

Comment

Cometa, Tx - magical place for me

Comment

Reading these hunting tales of yesteryear ... I can hear the coyotes yip and smell the mesquite campfire crackling at our feet.

Thanks for sharing your memories. Until this autumn, they will have to tide us over.

Comment

I'd have to say Iowa, just something about the anticipation when the sun is coming up in the land of the giants.. You never know what might step out..

Comment

Originally posted by Berretta Man View Post
                The place I hunt now. It is small and the deer are nothing special. Most big time deer hunters would laugh at it. But it is mine, I own it. And the times spent with my father, son, and grand kids are so special. And the special lady that partners in everything I do. It isn't always about the deer. Sometimes they are just the reason.
                Good point Berretta man . Its not about the trophies or other things as much as it was for me in Lampasas. I was on it for 20 yrs and the memories of friends and others that are living and deceased make it MY TROPHY LEASE. Good Thread brings back a lot of fond memories.

Comment

Hunted on the 12,000 acre Rhodes ranch on the Brazos, just west of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto county growing up. Wow, what a place! Some of the best times with great friends learning to bow hunt were on Tommy Allen's 5,000 acre bow only ranch outside of Llano. We probably made every mistake you could make trying to teach ourselves how to bow hunt but that was some kind of fun.

Now we have a great place in San Saba with most of those same friends. I feel like a kid every time we go down there. Pretty much everyone bow hunts and we are starting to see some really good deer for that area. Hope this year turns out to be a good one.

Comment

Colorado, Unit 76 San Juan Wilderness last fall. More elk than you can count and some fine bulls mixed in. Lots of bugling and bulls coming in to calls. Amazing scenery. Solo. Once in a lifetime unless I start saving.

Then Mason, TX for memories, scenery, food and quantity of game. Only regret there is that in college when I should have gone hunting I often stayed on campus for some stupid reason. That and hunting through the day when I should have gone to Coopers with my dad for BBQ. Oh well, we live and learn.

Comment

Frio county outside of pearsall

Comment

Black Hills in the spring for turkeys

Comment

The best place I hunted has to be where I was raised up. That would be what used to be called "Brushy Creek Experimental Forest", that was back when Southland paper company had it. Since then it has been bought by St. Regis paper co. then I think Champion paper co.. Now it is privately own and call the "Crumplehorn hunting club" which I think this year they are going back to "Brush Creek".

From age 2 to 20 it was a blast and free!! Now I can't afford it.

Comment

Gus Engling WMA in East Texas, first time I ever saw someone do so much for the animals and their habitat, KUDO'S!

Comment

Norias Division of King Ranch, the most secluded and prettiest place I ever hunted. If I had one wish it would be to have a lifetime hunting pass on that one Division

Comment

Cloudcroft, NM

Comment

Working...
                                X