No announcement yet.

A 58 acre slice of our own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks better. Rye seed is cheap. Throw it, can't hurt. Might help with erosion anyway.

Comment

Where did you find the 1947 aerial?, never seen any that far back.

Comment

Congrats on the place; good luck with improvements. Looks like you could get some bacon hunting your feeder.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            Where did you find the 1947 aerial?, never seen any that far back.
            Found them Here.

You can preview for free, but they charge you a small amount to download the older aerials. The nice thing is, they send you several image files (.jpg, .tif, etc.) as well as a Google Earth KMZ overlay - it will overlay into your Google Earth over the 2010's imagery.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Man if it was me I'd plant some Durana Clover. I've been doing some reading about it and its what I'm planting in the spring.

Comment

Planning on doing a prescribed burn on the ± 28 acre pasture north of the creek Saturday...wish us luck.

We have some good fire guards in, have the volunteer fire department coming out with about 10 people and brush trucks. Wind looks to be about 8 mph out of the south so hopefully idea conditions if we start at the FM and burn south.

Going to give the fire department a little donation and feed them lunch as well. They have been busy chasing fires in Henderson County the last couple of weeks and I figure it the least me and my wife can do for their help.

Comment

Burn went well, had a little rain and extra wind that wasn't expected Saturday, but anywhere that had a good mat of bahia or coastal burned hot and fast.

Have a few patches of weeds that didn't burn and a few spots that were still too wet to burn that didn't catch, but I will finish all of them off with the shredder.

After shredding, next is killing gophers. Its getting a good rain today so most of the soot and ash is getting soaked into the soil...going to try and do a soil test and see what needs to be done next for the hay meadow, and see what needs to be done for my food plot spots.

Only picture I was able to snag Saturday:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Any updates this month? I'd love to see what plans are coming around for this season, and how'd the gopher eradication go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats awesome congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Allaroundhunt View Post
                            Any updates this month? I'd love to see what plans are coming around for this season, and how'd the gopher eradication go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Thanks for bumping this up...we got the remaining weeds shredded, and the place is really greening up and looking great. I don't have any pictures on my phone of it at the moment but will get some this weekend. It actually looks like a hay meadow north of the creek again and not like a jungle. A lot of coastal has bounced back and I plan on hitting it with fertilize soon. I need to sprig or plant something where we cleared the sweet gums and elms, I think I may have missed the sprigging window though. Anyone have any suggestions what to do about 6-8 acres of bare dirt? Just keep it shredded and sprig the whole thing next February? Throw down some common bermuda seed from Hancock? I have bahia as well, our cows eat the coastal/bahia bales just fine but I may have trouble selling any excess hay I may have down the road.

I priced around some gopher machines and man they are high. I saw prices from 1800-3500 on them around here. For some reason I thought I could get one for 1200 or less. My dad has an ancient one in his barn that I have debated on getting out and trying to see what it can do, but gopher killing is on hold at the moment.

We are getting some bids for a new fence along the FM and a cattleguard/entry as well. Hoping that we can tackle that over the summer. We like the Priefert Ponderosa fencing but its about $12/foot for materials according to their website...cheaper than pipe and sucker rod, but does anyone have any experience with it?

Comment

Working...
                            X