James Daughtery Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtery Hunt

Was wondering what info anyone could give me about James daughtery.... taking my nephew on a youth hunt and have never been there before. Places to stay??? Compartments to try to be in??? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuned in for additional info, I'll be there January 3rd for the Bowhunt myself.

It's been years since I've been there and it's changed a lot since then....namely the lake was full back then.

Seach for the Daughtry, there's a few good threads on here including a great live thread fromy 150class last year. A good read with some good details.

You can camp at the park or get a cabin which is pretty near the park. Other than that I don't know but need for get to researching it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

It's been years since I've been there and it's changed a lot since then....namely the lake was full back then.

Seach for the Daughtry, there's a few good threads on here including a great live thread fromy 150class last year. A good read with some good details.

You can camp at the park or get a cabin which is pretty near the park. Other than that I don't know but need for get to researching it myself.

Any info on the cabins??? May call and see if they have any info they can share on places to stay since i know there are not many close by spots.

Comment

You can stay at the WMA which is primitive camping only or at Choke Canyon State Park – Calliham Unit only (361/786-3538). That's taken directly from the WMA info on the TPWD website.

I'm planning to stay at the one of the below listed. I googled "cabin on choke canyon" and was shown 3 sets of cabins and a motel on the lower end of the lake. Depending on where you hunt and if you must check in at the WMA each day it's a bit of drive but I think this is it for the area.

When I doe hunted several years ago I stayed at the WMA but that was a two day rifle hunt. Being a 3 day bow hunt I want a shower and to not be rained on in January. I'm not going camping, I'm going hunting and plan to hunt all day.

Comment

I stayed at Choke Canyon Lodge. Nice place. Not too long a drive from where I hunted. Had I chose a compartment closer to the park it would have been great.

Here is a brief summary from of previous post of mine regarding the JDWA. Last year the rut hit early according to our hunt coordinator. There is a very primitive camp area next to headquarters, but open fires were strongly discouraged. Take extra corn, cause once the hogs and javi's find you.....they clean you out then come back when you rebait. This is the main reason why the big floppy buck didn't stick around long enough.

"I hunted compartment 5. Saw a ton of hogs in the sendero along the river. I was there for the "trophy" hunt. After they released us, I drove in and baited the sendero by the river for the night hunt. Had a few hours to burn, so I set up under a shade tree watching another sendero by an oil pump. Hit the rattling horns a few times and 15 mins into sitting in my chair out jumps a nice shooter buck and makes a bee line for me. I had him in the scope but didn't want to go home after only being there for less than an hour. Short time after that buck walks by, I see another bigger bodied buck with a floppy ear. Watched him for a bit, picked my gun up, didn't pull the trigger, cause I just got there. That night in the river sendero I baited I get covered up in hogs, see a few does, and a small 10 point that was inside his ears. Next morning I set up by the pump house, and had the big floppy eared buck in my scope with 2 mins until legal shooting light, then he disappears into the brush. Never saw him again. Later I would see several does, a few small bucks. Also saw a bunch of javelinas, and a few coyotes. Saw two javi's run off a young coyote. Pretty cool to watch that.

Compartments 1-5 were slow my week. Hunters in the compartments down near choke canyon (11-13) saw more deer. One guy had no less than 10 bucks every hunt in front of him. One buck was taken. While I was there."
          Last edited by .270; 11-13-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Additionally, you're not that far from Three Rivers for hotels, restaurants or convinces such as more corn.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE_Drenalin View Post
              Was wondering what info anyone could give me about James daughtery.... taking my nephew on a youth hunt and have never been there before. Places to stay??? Compartments to try to be in??? Any help is appreciated.

When will y'all be there? Will have my 9 year old there Dec 17-20

Comment

We will be there dec. 17-20 as well.
                Do you get to pick your unit or do they assign them I heard in the past the unit was assigned to you...
                Thanks for the info you guys have given. Every little bit helps plan the hunt

Comment

We will be there dec. 17-20 as well.
                  Do you get to pick your unit or do they assign them I heard in the past the unit was assigned to you...
                  Thanks for the info you guys have given. Every little bit helps plan the hunt

I believe they assign them. Waiting to hear report from a TBH'er who was there this weekend for youth doe hunt.

TBH'er "wence" will also have his son there same time as us. We're staying at Choke Canyon State Park in one of the shelters. They're $50 a night.

Comment

It's ran by the same biologist that runs the chaparral.

What they've done in the past on both places is to allow you to pick your compartment based on your drawn number. So the first card they picked during the drawing picks first and so on down the line.

I'll be out there January 3rd, leave me a few good deer....

Comment

Well first time for my nephew to hunt south Texas deer so I am pretty sure he will get buck fever....

Comment

Well first time for my nephew to hunt south Texas deer so I am pretty sure he will get buck fever....

If weather is good, all reports I've heard are to expect seeing lots of animals, so should be fun for the kiddos. Will be really close to peak of rut so bring rattling horns. Some units have blinds but bring popup just in case.

My 9 year old has his mind made up he's gonna kill buck bigger than mommy's or dad's so he can get a shoulder mount but I'm betting he's begging to shoot at first sign of antlers!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

150class had a great live hunt thread and I believe he had a lead up with what he considered when choosing his compartment. I seem to recall he went back to some type of motel or room each night. Find that thread and other related threads he may have started about that hunt.

Comment

150class spelled it Daughtrey if you are searching for threads by words in the titles.

Comment

Originally posted by 16ncs View Post
                              150class spelled it Daughtrey if you are searching for threads by words in the titles.
                              Yes, it's spelled James Daughtrey but try several different spellings when doing searches. I even misspelled it a couple times.
                              Last edited by OleTomTalker; 11-14-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X