• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discing ours up this week

Hoping they will
    Be ready for septemtnber

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
      JD, you mention planting on an area that is typically hay pasture. You will want and need to have bare dirt underneath any crop you plant if you want to maximize your dove attraction. Do you have a way of spraying the field before planting? Gly at the very least after discing and before planting. Even better if you use pre emergent or post. For milo you can do post emergent using prowl h2o which is pendimethalin after milo is a certain height. For clearfield sunflowers you can use Beyond which treats broadleaf and grass or a clethodim product like Poast which only kills grass. If you plant say milo and the old hayfield sprouts up crabgrass, Johnson grass, etc it will be a losing battle and will never attract birds like bare ground underneath could. For the sesame growers, beware of the standard non shattering varieties that are available every where. Have planted last 2 years and dissapointed. Most seeds still in pods and never burst open. Get a shattering variety like Blanco, Margo, Dulce and you will have a constant supply hitting the ground for the dove. If you have the ability to plant any of the crops in rows then so much the better as its easier to spray and keep bare ground underneath open. If you have to broadcast that is fine but don't get carried away putting out too much. Plants will compete for limited moisture in the summer and not have good seed production if too thick. For a big 10 ac field like you want to do I think milo would be great and bush hog strips throughout the season. Whatever you decide to plant good luck and have much sucess
      Great information here.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Got a source for shattering varieties? Appreciate the info!
        Yessir, no problem.

Pogue Agri Partners
        Kennedy, Tx

Comment

Yessir, no problem.

Pogue Agri Partners
          Kennedy, Tx
          I called Douglas King seed in San Antonio, because they would be closer, and they do not have sesame in stock and don't expect any until about June.

Comment

Yessir, no problem.

Pogue Agri Partners
            Kennedy, Tx
            Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
            I called Douglas King seed in San Antonio, because they would be closer, and they do not have sesame in stock and don't expect any until about June.
            Pogue does have sesame in stock and it's the shattering type.

Comment

Planted for dove in Washington county, near the lake. The deer kept my sunflowers and milo eaten back to about 3/4” above ground. Waste of time and money.

Comment

More about sesame:
                It’s hog-proof, deer-proof, cattle don’t like it, horses won’t eat it — and it doesn’t appeal to sheep either. Disease pressure is infrequent and yield potential is good with as little as 12 inches of water.
                Sesame may not be a magic crop, but it may offer a viable alternative or profitable rotation crop for more traditional enterprises.

Comment

I ground planted a bunch of dove over the years... haven't seen one iota of growth from any of them...
                  Must be wrong climate.

Comment

I’ve heard good things about sinsemilla or sesame both

Comment

By a couple of tons of milo before season, broadcast it a week to 10 days before hunting.... sit back and get ready....that's how we do it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        By a couple of tons of milo before season, broadcast it a week to 10 days before hunting.... sit back and get ready....that's how we do it anyway
                        In Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          In Mexico?
                          Lol... yes sir

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Non Shattering isn’t the end of the world, just shred a little Every so often, those plants have boat loads of seed.

Also, Sesaco in Austin will sell you a 50 lb bag for $350. It is non shattering.

Comment

Anyone near Luling who has the equipment to shred and seed drill? We have a working tractor and disc, but no working shredder or seed drill.

Comment

Best dove hunts I’ve been on in recent years have been on a freshly harvested Sesame field. Not sure on the timing, though, as those hunts were during the after-Christmas part of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X