Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Replacing Floor in Stock Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Floor in Stock Trailer

I am Going to replace the floor in our stock trailer in a few months, but didnt know how much I needed to save for buying diamond plate.
    So how much is a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch diamond plate, and is that heavy enough?

1,8th would be more than enough and half the price,not sure on the price.but your really talking about alot of added weight,that diamond plate is heavy

Comment

I would got back with pressur treated wood... Diamond plate is heavy and would reqauire much more work.

Comment

well we have replaced the floor once already and I want to be good and done for all, I meant 1/8th
        hahaha

Comment

IMO i would not go to a metal floor, heard to many stories of cattle slipping around and breaking legs. I just finished redoing my 30 year old cattle trailer trailer and went with pressure treated lumber and used fence staples to nail down cattle panels.

Comment

Originally posted by cas077 View Post
            IMO i would not go to a metal floor, heard to many stories of cattle slipping around and breaking legs. I just finished redoing my 30 year old cattle trailer trailer and went with pressure treated lumber and used fence staples to nail down cattle panels.
            ^^^^^^^^^^
            We have a winner! Diamond plate will be too slippery. Pressure treated or maybe crisoak (not the right spelling) lumber.

Comment

this is strictly a horse trailer now, I was going to put down the rubber mats, but now ya'll got me thinking thats overkill

Comment

You might try the plastic decking boards if your cross supports are close enough. They would out last you.

Comment

Good point. Try the boat decking board it would last . Meant to be exposed to all type of conditions and last a long like If I'm not mistaking 10year shelf life out in the weather . It is expensive though but worth it. . Hope that helps

Comment

Wood!

Comment

If you're only haulin horses and no cattle, I'd go ahead and put the mats down over lumber, especially if you shoe your horses. Straight lumber can be a little slick on a shod horse if it gets wet. In my opinion, it's kinda like payin $5000 for a deer lease, shooting a 170" deer and then taking it to a cut rate taxidermist. That money you spend on the mats will be worth it.

Comment

If its going to be a horse trailer plus your putting rubber mats down, then by all means go for it. The problem your gonna run into is, diamond plate I think runs about $150 for a 4X8 sheet. I would still go the wood route, and just throw the rubber mats on top of the wood floor.

Comment

treated wood and rubber mats is what i would go with, keep it clean and keep the wood oiled over the years

Comment

In about to deck my 16' trailer and considering using creosote boards. Theres a yard here in San Antonio that is milling out of svc telephone poles into 2x's and various sizes. http://www.usedutilitypoles.com/r/Cr...es-San-Antonio

Comment

the guys here got it right. A metal floor is not a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X