Complete Golf Cart Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete Golf Cart Rebuild

I have been driving this old tired golf cart around for a few years and although it works fine it needs some upgrades. I am starting with a Melex 212 that was made around 1980. I am going to be converting it from a resistor set up to a solid state speed control. Then i am going to add 2 more batteries to make it a 48 volt. I am going to have the motor rebuilt by Plum Quick, and I am going to lift it a little and put some bigger wheels and tires on it. By the time I am done i will have a very cool cart. Plus almost everything has to be hand built so I get to play with my welder and flex my brain a little. Here are some starting pics.
    Attached Files

will be watching good luck.

Comment

sweet!! I'm watching too! I have a 99 club car that I did some upgrading to.

Comment

Plumquick did my motor on my first cart that I converted to 48volts...they are good people to deal with. I just converted my resistor to controller and about to put new batteries in for the final test run. What controller are you going with? Its a fun process.

Comment

Good luck with it.

Comment

I have been looking at doing one of these......definately be following this thread. Good luck and eep us posted.

Comment

That is going to be quite an undertaking, but just my kind of project. Sounds like fun. Cant wait to see progress pics.

Comment

Originally posted by whitie View Post
                Plumquick did my motor on my first cart that I converted to 48volts...they are good people to deal with. I just converted my resistor to controller and about to put new batteries in for the final test run. What controller are you going with? Its a fun process.
                I am going to go with an altrax 500 amp non programmable controller. I am getting everything as a package from Carts Unlimited.

Comment

Originally posted by whitie View Post
                  I have heard nothing but good things about Plum Quick so far. All of their reviews have been positive. It may be a while before I get the motor built because the speed controller swap will eat up alot of what I have saved for it right off the bat. I am doing the lift myself so that will just cost me scrap metal, wire and gas for my welder.

Comment

cool! Do you collect weed eaters???

Comment

Best of luck...looking forward to seeing the upgrades.

Comment

I'm following this closely. I have a '98 Ezgo that needs a solid state upgrade.

Comment

I will be watching. What is solid state and what is resistor and how do u know which one you have? I pulled home an older ez go today and need batteries first, then on to cosmetics.

Comment

Very Interested

I am definately interested in following this thread. I bought this a few months back with the lift kit, tires and bed already installed. I have had to replace the batteries but am looking to do some upgrades myself. Primarily a camo paint job, light kit, and whatever I need to do to get a little more speed going uphills. Best I can tell it is a 1979 model (model # 79H17).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kraigrrr View Post
                              cool! Do you collect weed eaters???
                              LOL No, I repair them. Those are the ones that I pull parts off of.

Comment

Working...
                              X