Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Most Archery Public Land DIY OTC Elk Hunts End Up......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Most Archery Public Land DIY OTC Elk Hunts End Up......

Being expensive camping trips.......

Believe me. I have had my share of tag soup over the years so I speak from experience. Also notice I said "most" elk hunts. We all have stories of that person who kills his or her elk one hour into their hunt. With an average success rate of 10% on any archery elk (bull or cow) most hunters fall into the 90% unsuccessful category. This is not all bad. Any experience in the mountains in the fall is awesome. The preparation, the anticipation, days spent in the cool mountain air make it worthwhile.

Now for some of the reasons most DIY OTC public land archery elk hunts end up being expensive camping trips......

1. Elk hunting is HARD!!! It does not matter how much you plan. It does not matter how much you study Google Earth and maps. It does not matter how much you train or even if you pre-season scout. It is hard to close the deal on an elk with your bow.

2. Most hunters commit to an area that simply does not have many or any elk. Elk are very mobile creatures and they cover a lot of ground everyday. Where they were at yesterday has no bearing on where they will be today or tomorrow. And you hear hunters say.....but there was so much sign there. They only sign I have confidence in is seeing elk or steaming droppings anything else could be from yesterday, or last week or last month. Be mobile. Cover a lot of ground.

3. Many hunters wear themselves out in the first 2-3 days. The physical exertion, stress and altitude take a toll. I have seen guys go home after 3 days. You have to pace yourself.

4. Not enough time. The country that elk inhabit is BIG and the elk are few and far between. It takes time to locate them. In most cases you are finally closing in on them about the time you have to go home.

5. Hunting the national forest is tough. The elk that are there are conditioned to calls and are very wary of hunters. I was talking to a Hispanic sheep herder in the Uncompahgre National Forest one year. He spoke no English, but I speak a little Spanish. I asked him if he had been seeing any elk in the area. He said "Yes.....many, many elk....all summer...until guys dressed like you (camo) arrived. Then all the elk left". Not much else needs to be said about public land pressure. On the other hand private lands are elk magnets. The elk definitely know where they are safe and where they are not safe. Hunt private land if possible.

6. Most elk hunters do not go in far enough. National forest gets a lot of pressure. The elk will migrate away from the pressure. If you do hike in several miles be prepared to camp there if you find elk.

Good luck, Have fun, Enjoy you time in the mountains and don't be discouraged if you do not get one. It's a tough hunt.
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-19-2017, 09:55 AM.

Glorified camping trip Great write-up

Comment

Did my first trip to CO this year and the learning curve was immense. We did get off the beaten path and as far back in as we could. I learned allot about calling. 6 days of hard work and we did end up teaming up on a cow. Me calling and my buddy shooting. I realize that for first timers we got extremely lucky but we did our homework and chose a unit that is notoriously hard to bow hunt simply because we thought there would be less pressure. And there was. Playing the wind is huge!!! Especially when you are living out of a tent, in the dirt and wearing the same clothes for so long.
      I can't tell you how many times we got on elk and only figured it out when we were watching them trot off from being winded.

Needless to say, I am hooked. I can't wait for next year!!

Comment

Sounds like most of my local hunting trips too.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
            Did my first trip to CO this year and the learning curve was immense. We did get off the beaten path and as far back in as we could. I learned allot about calling. 6 days of hard work and we did end up teaming up on a cow. Me calling and my buddy shooting. I realize that for first timers we got extremely lucky but we did our homework and chose a unit that is notoriously hard to bow hunt simply because we thought there would be less pressure. And there was. Playing the wind is huge!!! Especially when you are living out of a tent, in the dirt and wearing the same clothes for so long.
            I can't tell you how many times we got on elk and only figured it out when we were watching them trot off from being winded.

Needless to say, I am hooked. I can't wait for next year!!
            If I don't get drawn I want to try again DYI in CO. Let me know if you need another hunter next year.

Comment

Truer words have never been spoken. It is tough even in draw units when hunting public land. If I told most people the things I've done physically to take the few animals I've been fortunate enough to take out west- most wouldn't want to go. I'll be in the high country again in a couple of weeks hunting deer with my Dad though. I miss the mountains but we definitely have a love/hate relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am about to do a write up on this exact thing. Im one of those dudes you talked about this year.

Comment

I cooked some elk steaks on Sunday and couldn't help but note that it was the most expensive cut of meat I have eaten in my life. But it really comes down to the adventure and camaraderie. Worth every penny. It's like paying thousands to head to an all inclusive resort. Only everybody is sober and suffering. The good kind of suffering. My kind of camping trip.

-------------------------------
                  Violence never settles anything
                  -Genghis Kahn

Comment

I did it two years ago.
                    I would like to do it again

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                      Truer words have never been spoken. It is tough even in draw units when hunting public land. If I told most people the things I've done physically to take the few animals I've been fortunate enough to take out west- most wouldn't want to go. I'll be in the high country again in a couple of weeks hunting deer with my Dad though. I miss the mountains but we definitely have a love/hate relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      You have killed some good ones John. I know how hard you had to work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
                        I am about to do a write up on this exact thing. Im one of those dudes you talked about this year.
                        I read your post. Great recap of your hunt. Been there, done that. No one will believe how hard it is until you have done it. You gained some hard earned and valuable experience. Keep after them!!!! Here is a picture from one of my pack in hunts in the Lizard Head Wilderness. Our camp was at 11,250 ft.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Recovered Pictures 1390 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24510933

Comment

True words on # 3, 4 & 6, I've witnessed our hunt cut short because guys calling it quits. Last time I elk hunted (19 days) I went alone & hopefully next year will be another

Comment

I've been on plenty of glorified expensive camping trips. Im ready for a hunt!

Comment

That's why I usually go west for antelope on public land. 7 years strait are whole camp has filled our tags

Comment

Working...
                              X