Bathroom remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little trick I do:

Do walls first and start them on row #2 from bottom.
    Then do floor, so your not making a mess on the floor constantly
    Finally put in the bottom row

Just the method I like to use, more than one way to skin a cat

You put a pre slope under liner?

Comment

You should have went with rain shower head and body sprayers. Trust me we just spent 30k on master bath and closet. When I take a shower it's worth every penny.

I would not even attempt what your doing sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Little trick I do:

Do walls first and start them on row #2 from bottom.
        Then do floor, so your not making a mess on the floor constantly
        Finally put in the bottom row

Just the method I like to use, more than one way to skin a cat

You put a pre slope under liner?
        Seen several YouTube video that do it the way you mention. Will probably go that route. Did not pre slope under the liner. Most all videos I have seen go flat there and then slope the mortar sand stuff on top, then tile. Any advantage to pre-sloping under?

Comment

Only real advantage is keepingwater from sitting in corners. It won't leak, but some waters have an Odor. You can turn water heater above 140 (I think) and kill whatever it is that makes the smell.... but 140 water will hurt ya!

On your shower head, don't matter what you got, you will be disappointed that's to our government saving the environment. Look in there and you will see a plastic "restrict plate". Run a big drill bit through it and vacuum it out... then you can get the shampoo out of your hair... but may use .02 more water

Comment

Water shouldn't get below the tile theoretical should it? If it did would think it wouldn't get below the mortar?

Comment

Tile (other that porcelain) and grout are still some what pourous (sp?) and mortar will absorb water as well.

You will be perfectly fine as you are.

What tile/marble you using ?

Comment

Don't know what tile we are going with. Will probably pick it out/up this weekend

Comment

Guy that did my bathroom said that you could use Red Guard in the whole shower and it would be like building a pool...sucker would never leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                    Don't know what tile we are going with. Will probably pick it out/up this weekend
                    The "wood floor" looking tile is becoming popular now. As well as pebble floor (I hate) absolutely no way to get it to drain correctly

Comment

Won't be doing the pebble floor. Plan on a porcelain tile of some sort. Looking at the ones that mimic Carrera marble

Comment

What's your take on mastic vs. mortar type thinset?

Comment

100% mastic on walls. Thin set on floor

Comment

Poly thinset?

Comment

Bathroom remodel

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                              What's your take on mastic vs. mortar type thinset?
                              Mastic has a little flex to it, so would the poly thinset. Regular thinset is like concrete.

Mastic is great for walls, but not made to be in a high moisture environment. Like a shower. It could even support mold growth due to it being organic.

The poly thinset set will give you the flexibility and strength you're after, and will not trap water.
                              Last edited by TallTexan; 07-13-2017, 06:09 AM.

Comment

That redguard seals up to a 1/4 inch gap as well. It's pliable so it will stretch a bit with stress. Good stuff there.

Comment

Working...
                                X