No announcement yet.

DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of tin or steel are yall using for the outside of the smokehouse? Thanks!

Jason Slocum

Comment

Looks great. Brings back memories.

Comment

DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
        What type of tin or steel are yall using for the outside of the smokehouse? Thanks!

Jason Slocum

Regular R panel on mine

Comment

Question about making jerky in something like this like you'd make dried sausage. Cold smoke for a few hours and leave in racks with a fan? And would you just add fire salt to the jerky mix? Or would you need to use actual hear for the jerky and cure salt only works in casings? Like deer sticks or sausage?

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
            Question about making jerky in something like this like you'd make dried sausage. Cold smoke for a few hours and leave in racks with a fan? And would you just add fire salt to the jerky mix? Or would you need to use actual hear for the jerky and cure salt only works in casings? Like deer sticks or sausage?
            I added a propane burner to mine for making muscle meat jerkey, summer sausage, snack sticks. Just gotta keep the propane running and keep the Temps up. I put a Guage on the door so I can regulate the temps.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
              I added a propane burner to mine for making muscle meat jerkey, summer sausage, snack sticks. Just gotta keep the propane running and keep the Temps up. I put a Guage on the door so I can regulate the temps.

Do you suggest getting it 160-180 then letting it just air dry or just use heat or a mix of the two? Yea I wanna get a burner in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
                Do you suggest getting it 160-180 then letting it just air dry or just use heat or a mix of the two? Yea I wanna get a burner in mine.
                It's not all that scientific! Get the burner between 165 an 180 an let it cook. The meat will be done in about 8 hrs or so. Just keep an eye on it at tr he end of the cook an once it's at that stage it will be done,then it's all about how you want it to look. Also, it will continue to cook after pulled. It takes some getting use to it, but it is by no means hard.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                  It's not all that scientific! Get the burner between 165 an 180 an let it cook. The meat will be done in about 8 hrs or so. Just keep an eye on it at tr he end of the cook an once it's at that stage it will be done,then it's all about how you want it to look. Also, it will continue to cook after pulled. It takes some getting use to it, but it is by no means hard.

Yea I have cooked it several times in my smoker. Offset with a vertical with racks or to hang sausage. But I just built a smoker so I gotta re think it. Need to put a thermometer on the door.

Comment

Turned out ok. Hardest part was cutting the tin. Was kind of short on Tn. Mis measures but with a screw piece front and back on the roof the one piece fit. Looks silly. I need to cut it. I'll fix it one day lol.

Comment

Looking good! That'll get it done [emoji1360]

Comment

I need to get the finger out of my arse and build one. I wanna try a few different smoked sausage recipes just for fun. I think I may build one soon. Ive got plenty of mesquite & pecan wood. [emoji6][emoji1417]

Ray

Comment

Lookin good. If it's in an open area you will probably end up skirting the bottom. I had to with mine to keep the wind under cotrol.

Comment

Is there a reason you wouldn't want an actual floor in the bottom with piping coming up through the center? As opposed to skirting?

Comment

DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Originally posted by dmax_hunter View Post
                              Is there a reason you wouldn't want an actual floor in the bottom with piping coming up through the center? As opposed to skirting?

Yes...Drafting number 1... the house won't draw from the firebox without proper draft

Cleanup for jerky

Comment

Thanks Jason!

Comment

Working...
                                X