No announcement yet.

East texas public land thread 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the summit titan. It’s the biggest climbing stand they make. I’m a big fellow so I need a good one. I love them for gun hunting. Especially with all the pine areas we have. I can get 15-20 feet up and see over the underbrush. My goal this year is to finally take a deer with my bow from the ground. It’ll be a tough challenge but it’s my goal.

Comment

Yeah I’m a big guy too so I have to get a 300lb stand but I’d like one that’s easy to carry. Trying to figure out which one will be better while carrying in a backpack and bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mines rated for 350lbs and I use every bit of that rating. ���� when I used my climber I don’t bring in my big pack. I’ll use a small back pack with my stuff in it. If I shoot something I’ll bring the climber back to the truck and get my frame pack. I also use a ghost blind and I do the same thing when I use it.

Comment

[QUOTE=robert97dodge;13465588]Mines rated for 350lbs and I use every bit of that rating. ���� when I used my climber I don’t bring in my big pack. I’ll use a small back pack with my stuff in it. If I shoot something I’ll bring the climber back to the truck and get my frame pack. I also use a ghost blind and I do the same thing when I use it.[/QUOTE

Similar, I’ve found it challenging to carry the big pack with the climber, if I don’t have my big pack I will at least pack a game bag in my small pack, it’s hard to pack out a quartered mature animal in a game bag over your shoulder but it does work.

Comment

Yeah last summer I was out scouting and shot 4 hogs. It was pretty warm that day but I had game bags with me and packed out 3 sets of backstrap and rear hind quarters. I used parachute cord to kind of hold it all together. It was a good mile back to the truck. I learned two lessons that day. One I needed a good frame pack and two I needed to bring more water!

Comment

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
              Yeah last summer I was out scouting and shot 4 hogs. It was pretty warm that day but I had game bags with me and packed out 3 sets of backstrap and rear hind quarters. I used parachute cord to kind of hold it all together. It was a good mile back to the truck. I learned two lessons that day. One I needed a good frame pack and two I needed to bring more water!
              That’s hard work any day espically in the summer but sounds like quite an exciting and successful hunt.

Comment

It was a good hunt. I was just out scouting and just happened to find some hogs which is usually how it works out. I actually shot two with one shot and didn’t even realize it until I walked over to them.

Comment

This is my set up for one of the places when I am hog hunting. I have my frame pack with a smaller pack that has knives, game bags, water and stuff I need. The bike gun mount can hold my slug gun, rifle, or rimfire gun depending on what I am hunting. I have been extremely impressed with how well this bike holds up. Last year when I got it I was weighing in around 350-360lbs and carried 40lb bags of corn and packed out hogs while riding that bike.

Comment

Robert, that’s awesome, good for you for being a heavy guy and still getting out in the back country, that weight must be mostly muscle. Like the set up brother.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                      Robert, that’s awesome, good for you for being a heavy guy and still getting out in the back country, that weight must be mostly muscle. Like the set up brother.

Yeah I am about 6'2" and pretty active so plenty of muscle as well. I get around pretty good for a big guy and never let that stop. I may not be as fast as some guys but I am a work horse. This was with my buck opening day of rifle last year and my nephews first deer. I will be in much better shape this year.

Comment

Heck yeh, that’s a dang nice buck.

Comment

Great deer! This will be my first year to try and hunt public land, I can’t wait to see what it brings

Comment

Originally posted by Reddock18 View Post
                            Great deer! This will be my first year to try and hunt public land, I can’t wait to see what it brings

No better feeling than harvesting a deer on public land!

Comment

I don't get home until Mid-November, so I will miss my annual opening weekend trip to the Moore. However, I will be going at the end of November, lol

Comment

Hey fellas, my brother and I are thinking real hard about hunting public land again as we can’t stomach lease prices. Other than a few WMAs in Oklahoma, he keeps pushing Davy Crockett as he used to hunt there pretty exclusively. I don’t particularly mind it so I’ll probably give it a go this year.
                                Key is I’m not off on weekends so can I expect there to be little to no pressure from other hunters during the week?
                                Also, being public land, am I correct in that you cannot leave stands out there? Not that I would because it would come up missing I’m sure.......and if we wanted to camp with an RV and genny, where would be the better places to access the forest from?

Thanks ahead of time!

Comment

Working...
                                X