East texas public land thread 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East texas public land thread 2018-2019

I talked about this a while back just starting a general East texas public hunting thread. This can be any public land from sabine, angelina, davy crocket and surrounding areas. Myself, like others work hard to find our spots that we have hunted for years so no reason to be specific about your area. When someone ask where I hunt my reply is typically east texas public land. This can be a good thread to post up pics, tips or tricks you have learned a long the way.

With that being said I know there are some out there that are already scouting, planning and getting ready for the new season. For me personally what I am doing to get ready for the season is getting my butt back in shape! I started a product called Thrive by Le-Vel and its been amazing. I get up 4am every morning and go ride my bike for an hour in the woods or i go hit up the gym. I plan on being the best shape I have been in, in a long time. It will make the 1-2 miles hikes in and out of the woods much easier. Especially when I am packing out those deer and hogs. This week I will be throwing up cameras in a spot I found last year and go ahead and trim any trees that need it. What is everyone else doing to get ready for the season?

My neighbors think my place is "public land". Sounds like a good idea, it's a great thing to have here in Texas for those who don't hunt clubs or have their own places.

Comment

I'll follow along as I hunt a couple of public land units. Good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here, just finished jogging a few miles into a spot to grab a card, about to see what's on ir

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep I’m in, but I don’t think you are supposed to trim any trees on public, but good stuff sounds like a great work out, I’ve killed and recovered 7 pigs this season on public and 5 since April, ready for it to cool off been hot camping out there lately.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
            Yep I’m in, but I don’t think you are supposed to trim any trees on public, but good stuff sounds like a great work out, I’ve killed and recovered 7 pigs this season on public and 5 since April, ready for it to cool off been hot camping out there lately.
            You're better at going after pigs than I am, I just accidentally walk up on thrm

Comment

I think you can trim just can’t cut down. Trimming can help better growth but you may be right. The last cool spell we had back in April or so I finally go a couple more hogs for the freezer. I noticed Wednesday our high is only 83 so I’ll be in the woods!

Comment

How do y’all target pigs on public land? I’d like to do that but without baiting it’s hard to stick them in one area I’d imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It really depends on the time of year. In spring certain areas I hunt floods so I pushed them up to different areas. In fall when it’s dry after a long summer they’re gonna be more in the bottoms that still have water and looking for those early falling acorns. Hogs can be hard to pattern but when you’re in certain areas a lot you figure out where the food and water sources are.

Comment

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
                    I think you can trim just can’t cut down. Trimming can help better growth but you may be right. The last cool spell we had back in April or so I finally go a couple more hogs for the freezer. I noticed Wednesday our high is only 83 so I’ll be in the woods!
                    Got to take advantage of those rare summer days that stay cool, Thanks fit the tip I didn’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                      You're better at going after pigs than I am, I just accidentally walk up on thrm

Yea chief you don’t have to look for them they find you Lol, glad you were able to stop that charging boar with the single shot rifle. He was a beast.
                      Last edited by forest-hunter; 07-01-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Yea chief you don’t have to look for them they find you Lol, glad you were able to stop that charging boar with one shot.
                        I know, he was a giant. Hoping to get a couple 20 to 40lb piggies next time

Comment

I have a question for early season bowhunters. When scouting for a good early season stand, will I be better off playing the odds on summer winds primarily coming out of the south to hunt bedding areas? Or should I look for better travel corridors for evening hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                            I know, he was a giant. Hoping to get a couple 20 to 40lb piggies next time

Post up that picture I took of it lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Jswift91 View Post
                              Post up that picture I took of it lol!
                              You mean this little guy? [emoji23]. And before anyone asks I shot him while it was still daylight, just took about two hours to drag him out.

Comment

Working...
                              X