Real estate fees to sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real estate fees to sell

What is an average amount of fees paid to the real estate agent to list and sell your place?

What is the average length of contract you sign with an agent to list your place?

Just sold my house. Paid 3% of home selling price to buyers agent and my good friend is a agent so he sold the house for no commission. He will make his commission when I buy my new house from the seller.

Not sure on length of time as my house sold in 8 days. I would give it awhile though if I was you. You may be surprised how fast your property goes with interest rates being very low right now. People are buying right now.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      What is an average amount of fees paid to the real estate agent to list and sell your place?

What is the average length of contract you sign with an agent to list your place?
      the historic norm is 6%. 3 to buyers agent and 3 to sellers agent. however, things are changing rapidly. there are more and more flat fee listing services these days. most likely still going to pay 3% for buyer's agent, but significantly less on the sales side. if you are in a hot area and know the price per sq foot, then a flat fee listing can be very advantageous. or if you are in a very high dollar home, it is normal to negotiate down. but, if you don't have a good feel for the market or the area is a bit wish washy on what sells and what doesn't, then a good full service sellers agent is worth it.

Comment

I sold me house 2 years ago, listed it myself on zillow for free, the buyers had a realtor that wanted6%, I refused and negotiated it to 3%

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

3% to each has been the norm. A good buddy of mines wife listed our house and charged me 1% when I sold because she knew I’d use her on the buying side when I bought. She made 3% on the buyer side.

We’re good friends and she refused to have me sign a contract even though I offered to.

As hot as real estate is right now, you won’t need to sign an exclusivity agreement and could likely get the same deal I had.

Comment

Buyers agent generally gets 3% and sellers agent gets 3%. It's all negotiable. When we sold our last house, we used our builder and he didn't charge us anything to sell our old house because he was building our new house for us. Our previous house before that, our realtor gave up their 3% because of the commission on the house we bought from that sale.

Comment

We just sold our house and it was 3 and 3% commission. All said and done with the other fees and crap involved it was a little over 7% total

We made sure to have an at will contract with our agent, if you’re working and doing your job I have no reason to leave but I’m not locking myself into a 3-4mo contract Incase they suck as an agent. Our guy was good and got our house sold in 42 days which we were happy with since we priced high for the first couple weeks. They’re based in burleson and cover your area, pm me if you want his info, good team to work with

Comment

I paid 3% but my agent was also their agent.

-john

Comment

3% to each is crazy on high priced property. There should be a max. Maybe a flat fee is better for the seller.

Comment

add an additional 1-2% in seller cost.

Comment

Just finished, 3 to sellers agent and 3 to buyers, all together cost us 8.7% to sell. We signed a 6 month contract, I’m sure every situation is different, I was a little frustrated with the costs associated with selling. Good luck!!!

Comment

I would look into Redfin. They charge 1% on most sales and you have a full service agent.

Comment

3% to each is crazy on high priced property. There should be a max. Maybe a flat fee is better for the seller.
                          Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Keep in mind that the broker usually takes half, so that 3% is really less than 1.5% after the extra fees.
                          My wife showed one couple 80+ houses before they bought a $150,000 house.
                          Would you spend that much time, and gas money for roughly $2,000?

I do know some realtors aren't worth a crap, but my wife works her tail off to make sure you get the house you need/want at the right price. She goes out of her way to do stuff that I don't see many other realtors (in her office) doing. When all is said and done, she doesn't make that much money.

Comment

No kidding. I sold my lakehouse last year. Listed with an agent and signed a contract for standard 6%. One week later I found a buyer through a neighbor. I paid 6% of $1.5MM or $90,000 to someone that didn't have to do much. No way that dude earned that, but he sure took it. I'd have been embarrassed.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              No kidding. I sold my lakehouse last year. Listed with an agent and signed a contract for standard 6%. One week later I found a buyer through a neighbor. I paid 6% of $1.5MM or $90,000 to someone that didn't have to do much. No way that dude earned that, but he sure took it. I'd have been embarrassed.
                              1.5 million dollar lake house = first world problems!

Comment

Working...
                              X