• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a set of 15s and a good tripod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
      And trailhead; I'd like a hard hiking trip.
      The silence speaks volumes

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
      I appreciate all the information fellas!
      Any recommendations on tents?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Gohunt has really good MSR tents. my buddy loves his. I have a Hilliberg. Unless you are camping in snow, it's probably overkill. A tipee is a good set up as well, and our other hunting buddy got a treking pole tent that was sub $50 that worked really well this year. Stone Glacier also has some really nice tents.

I always shoot for light weight over anything else.

Comment

This hunt probably isn’t the best hunt to run a tarp or a lightweight 3 season tent. It gets COLD some years.

Comment

I'm planning on hunting below the rim so I know it can be very cold. As far as price goes I'd like to stay under 500 if that's realistic.

Comment

Are you legit going to be packing it up every morning and carrying with you?

Or more than likely camping back at the truck?
            I was thinking we would trek in and make camp hopefully somewhere close to water and set out from there every morning.

Comment

I can't find the link, but Alps lynx 1 man tent is my backpacking tent.
              It's a 3 season tent, they're almost impossible to find. It's one of the most popular "economic" backpacking tent on the market.
              Swapping out the stakes for ultra light makes the tent/poles/rainfly/stakes come in right at 3.1lbs.

Personally I would spend my money on getting a high quality pad with a high R value, and extra $$ on a good zero degree down or synthetic down sleeping bag.

Comment

I was thinking we would trek in and make camp hopefully somewhere close to water and set out from there every morning.

Nice. I like the Alps mentioned above; mostly bc it is a budget friendly tent and you have more money for pad and bag.

Comment

That’s my OTC Arizona buck from 27

Comment

I wouldn’t worry a whole lot about gear. You might hunt this one time and decide the western style of hunting isn’t for you. Just make sure you have these items:

-a good, warm, comfortable sleeping pad
                    -quality sleeping bag
                    -10x binos
                    -comfortable boots
                    -warm clothes

The rest the stuff is comfort items. It takes time, money, and experience with different stuff to dial in your gear to what works for you. I’ve been hunting out west every year since I was 14, trust me when I say don’t worry about buying all the expensive gear, most of it you won’t even use on the trip. The best thing you can do is point that truck west and JUST GO HUNTING.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

i am from texas been in AZ over 35 yrs........ unit 27 is a great unit for mule deer ....... far from tucson-phoenix .....all the snowbirds will be in zona after thanksgiving.....hunting around these two cities ......i mean Alot of folks winter in zona....... this unit is rough in places but good hunting ...AWAY from people ......... jdh in AZ

Comment

You guys are great. I never thought of a sleeping pad. I'm in between on what binos to go with as far as 10x or 12x. I was looking at the badlands 2200 pack but I think I need to go bigger.

Comment

You guys are great. I never thought of a sleeping pad. I'm in between on what binos to go with as far as 10x or 12x. I was looking at the badlands 2200 pack but I think I need to go bigger.

A pad is going to be uber important to keep your body heat in. Do a quick research on it. It doesn't have to be expensive, but you need something.

If you are doing like you say, yeah, go bigger on pack. I bet 3500 would work, 5500 for sure.

I'm enjoying this thread; thus, many comments.

Comment

A pad is going to be uber important to keep your body heat in. Do a quick research on it. It doesn't have to be expensive, but you need something.

If you are doing like you say, yeah, go bigger on pack. I bet 3500 would work, 5500 for sure.

I'm enjoying this thread; thus, many comments.
                            What's your thoughts on binos?

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

If I seen some like this I'll be happy. I'll need some luck to throw an arrow at one.

Comment

What's your thoughts on binos?

What do you have?

I’m still using what I have, 10x leupolds; I think the important thing is clear and crisp glass to prevent eye fatigue
                                Last edited by MLank; 10-24-2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X