No announcement yet.

Arizona otc mule deer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding deer isn’t the hard part. It’s getting into bow range on a buck that’s surrounded by does he’s chasing. 10 sets of eyes and noses make it very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
      Can you give me some more details about it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      He has given you a unit that is pretty much all public land and your options are endless. It's approx. 13 hrs away from Dallas; you can leave in the evening with a friend or 2 and be setting up camp by daylight. Then hunt all day.

As for gear, "take whatcha got and go". If you need something on the fly, use Wal-Mart so you don't break the bank. Consider it a small rental fee until you dial in the gear you like/want.

Most of all, go. You will have fun and learn. Have zero expectations with the exception of: learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
        He has given you a unit that is pretty much all public land and your options are endless. It's approx. 13 hrs away from Dallas; you can leave in the evening with a friend or 2 and be setting up camp by daylight. Then hunt all day.

As for gear, "take whatcha got and go". If you need something on the fly, use Wal-Mart so you don't break the bank. Consider it a small rental fee until you dial in the gear you like/want.

Most of all, go. You will have fun and learn. Have zero expectations with the exception of: learn something.
        Good info and advice given.

Comment

If you are chasing a "trophy" I would recommend renting high end Binos & tripod. 12x50 or 15x56 swaro's for $20.00/day.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
            help eachother out
            I gladly give out my colorado otc spots, you gotta earn the animal where I go so Im not worried about joe blow getting in my area its such stupid tough terrain
            What's your unit?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              What's your unit?
              And trailhead; I'd like a hard hiking trip.

Comment

It took me and a buddy driving 4 days in Arizona to find the unit we liked. Lot of hiking and glassing all day then at night we would drive to the other area. We finally found a spot and saw tons of deer and a few really nice ones. We hunted it 3 out of 4 years. There seems to be lots of road hunters in January. We didn't have a bunch of stuff for camping the first year. We liked to froze our butts off. We gathered gear and knowledge every year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  help eachother out
                  I gladly give out my colorado otc spots, you gotta earn the animal where I go so Im not worried about joe blow getting in my area its such stupid tough terrain

This is BS, there are more people going in deep and steep now than there has ever been. Give out your spots if you want to but expect company

Comment

My Hope's are high more so for my first western hunt and the excitement of seeing what I'm up against. I dont have expectations to take a giant and at the end of the day horn size is not what I'm after.
                    The questions I have are really more toward what I would need and the little things I may need that I wouldnt think of.

And honestly I'd be more than happy to do a complete right up and I'd be willing to drop pins of where I camped or saw deer. I want others to experience success and I am an open book about hunting.

Comment

My Hope's are high more so for my first western hunt and the excitement of seeing what I'm up against. I dont have expectations to take a giant and at the end of the day horn size is not what I'm after.
                      The questions I have are really more toward what I would need and the little things I may need that I wouldnt think of.

And honestly I'd be more than happy to do a complete right up and I'd be willing to drop pins of where I camped or saw deer. I want others to experience success and I am an open book about hunting.

You will have fun with that attitude for sure. It really is a great opportunity to get out in the field and hunt. Good glass from up high and let the optics do the work is my advice. Make camp as comfy as you can because the days aren’t very long that time of year

Comment

Good glass, tripod, and a fluid camera head is definitely needed.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                          Good glass, tripod, and a fluid camera head is definitely needed.
                          I use this head and put on an old tripod I had. However, if you also get a tripod just make sure this head can screw onto it.

If you call Camera Land, tell them you are a Rokslide member and you can get 10% off. If you buy head and tripod together, it'll be over $150 and you will also get free shipping.

Comment

I appreciate all the information fellas!
                            Any recommendations on tents?

Comment

Are you legit going to be packing it up every morning and carrying with you?

Or more than likely camping back at the truck?

Comment

What are you looking to spend on a tent?? There are tons of options that range from 150-1800

Comment

Working...
                                X