No announcement yet.

180” Deer or 30” Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deer all day long and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
      I think a lot of people who’ve caught a lot of 30+ trout use the “close enough” school of measuring.

My oldest boy caught two big trout back to back 5-6 years ago. He told a friend of mine he caught two 30” trout. When that friend asked me if it was true I said nope. One was 29 1/4, and the other was 29.5”. NOT 30”.

I think that’s how most people get their 30. What’s a half inch anyway. Lol. Those are stud trout btw.

Comment

30” trout they are some kinda fun to catch . My biggest is 26”

Comment

F fishing lol ill take the buck...

Comment

ROFL... fishermen...

Comment

180” Deer or 30” Trout

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              I think that’s how most people get their 30. What’s a half inch anyway. Lol. Those are stud trout btw.
              Thanks! He’s a pretty good fisherman.

It’s crazy because I have caught a LOT of trout in the 29-ish range, but only 2 truly above 30.

Comment

the deer, without a doubt

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  Thanks! He’s a pretty good fisherman.

It’s crazy because I have caught a LOT of trout in the 29-ish range, but only 2 truly above 30.
                  Same, but I’ve never broken 30”. I started hunting in south Texas now, and need to start fishing down there too. Lol

Comment

Can't make a decision unless I know the weight of said 30" trout...

I'd take an 180" deer over a 30", 8# trout everyday.

It's a completely different story when we start talking about trout with double digit weight.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                      depends on the time of year. I've got a 28 caught in march that weighed over nine after spitting up a horse mullet, and a 29.5 caught in August that weighed 6.5.
                      This is why I HATE length comparison... It isn't consistent. Just weigh the dang thing

A 10 lb trout or for that matter a 10 lb bass... I take either of those over a 180 deer bought... Now public land... It's about even

400 inch public land elk I take over either haha

Comment

I get the argument, that it's harder to target a 30" trout so that makes it so you cant "buy" it. That also makes it a bit of random luck. I'd take the deer ASSUMING it's a low fence/public free range deer (original post was with a bow) holy cow that'd get my heart thumping.

Comment

Yeh, you can buy a big deer, but what is the sport in that? It means nothing other than you have money, no skill involved and doesn't impress me one bit. Personally I think 180" free range deer is way more rare that catching a 30" trout for the average outdoorsman.

Comment

180" deer, be it a whitetail or a Mule Deer.

I used to fish the bay quite a bit as well as bass fish in Choke and Falcon and I never caught a 30" trout or a 10lb bass and I'm perfectly ok with it.

BTW I've seen alot of novices catch some big gator trout on Croaker, Even saw a guy catch a 29" trout on a dead shrimp. So there goes the "man you gotta earn it not buy it" line of thinking. Rule no. 1 of getting either is you have to be where they exist. As a kid fishing west bay in Galveston we used to think fishing Baffin was "cheating"....only because we were not there.

These comparisons on which trumps the other is hilarious. They are deer and speckled trout not Stone Sheep and Baramundi.
                            Last edited by txtrophy85; 10-15-2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

My son left this morning for Colorado 4 days fishing. Then to Utah for a week on the Green River. I hoping for the 30" trout for him.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                                BTW I've seen alot of novices catch some big gator trout on Croaker, Even saw a guy catch a 29" trout on a dead shrimp. So there goes the "man you gotta earn it not buy it" line of thinking..

Good point...especially the croaker with a guide...which I'm perfectly OK with, but singling out a 30" trout like it's impossible to do it easier is just not true.

That being said, I'm going to go with a 30" trout or a Share-a-lunker bass. Both have avoided my hook. I have two bass over 10 and had a 12.2 caught in the back of my boat by a novice buddy after I missed the hookset and told him to throw back in there... (insert vomit smiley). 27" on the trout way back when..

Big deer do turn my crank but all this kick and pop breeder deer stuff has really watered down the uniqueness of them. But I'd dang sure be happy to stumble on a 180 one day..
                                Last edited by Smart; 10-15-2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X