Wanting to Start own Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to Start own Business

As I have posted we are moving back to Texas end of the month. Wanting to start my own business. We will have VERY little bills, no CC, no vehicle, no medical, smallish mortgage ($700ish). My wife has worked for the prison system / Sheriffs Dept up here and I dont see any issue with her doing that in E. Tx. There are 4 Sheriffs Departments within 25 miles and TDCJ has a smallish drug treatment facility 20 miles away that I think is always hiring. Long story short she can more than likely pay the biggest part of the bills and keep health insurance going for the family. Im just racking my brain tryin to think of something to get into. Im a mechanic currently and dont mind that but dont want to do that on my own. There is really nothing I cant do I guess. Before we moved to Colorado I had a very small dirt work business (tractor w/ FEL and JD 550 dozer). I did OK but worked in the oilfield and it was mainly for playing on and getting my place how I wanted it but it did make the machinery payments when I wanted it to. I kinda dig the idea of doing dirtwork, landscape, fencing, etc. I already have a Dodge diesel and HD bumper pull for a skid steer. I can do all my own mechanic work, maintenance, welding, fab, etc and once again I need to do dirtwork on my own place and build fence. Plus I will have my own shop at the house. Another thing is Id like to involve my kids as they get older and have something to pass on to them. They are 15 and 12. Any other ideas? Ive though of a gutter machine, real estate, all kinda things. Throw em out there.
    Last edited by glen1978; 10-13-2020, 12:43 PM.

Guess it depends what you want to do, and how much liquid cash you have

Comment

Guessing off your skill set, I would suggest becoming a licensed electrician or HVAC

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        Guessing off your skill set, I would suggest becoming a licensed electrician or HVAC
        That takes years of working under someone and being apprentice. Id say if I had a weakpoint its electrical.....lol! Kinda knocks those two out.

Comment

Dirt work, tree clearing, maybe installing septic systems, with your skill set there are plenty things you could get into, good luck.

Comment

BrianL is right. The shear cost of doing dirt work right is insane upfront. I’d do what he said and moonlight outside of the apprenticeship. The dumbest guy I know is **** near the richest I know doing HVAC. The other is an electrician. Sheep these days pay for stuff you could do I. 6 weeks.

Good luck to ya. I spent many summers on clear creek and the Arkansas River just north of BV. It’s a beautiful place that is/was overlooked when I was a teen.

Comment

I'd start with studying the market your in. Is their a local problem that doesnt have many solutions? Is there something that you can provide that doesnt have much competition? Are you trying to get into commercial bids for that work or letting residents contact you? Trying to have a local business or something you can scale?

Comment

Ac business is saturated here Glen. Your either top dog were they don’t even ask the price, or your dirt cheap and suck... but they don’t care cause of price.... OR your one of the 4,000 in the middle cutting each other’s throats and starving. Lol

Things needed in this area:

1. A plumber that’s worth calling twice.

2. Aerobic system installation. Lots of construction and not a lot in that market.... or none with name recognition.

Several mechanical positions probably hiring

... and if not, I have a fabulous job opportunity for ya!!!!

Comment

Patio covers, tractor sheds, shops, almost any kind of metal work is a pretty good business. Think "no job is too small" do great work and word will get around but it will take some time. Stop by local lumber yards (not HD or Lowes type) and talk with them and leave your information. Seems there is lots of this type of work if you are skilled, treat customers right and willing to bust your butt. Getting jobs done when you say you will, show up when you say you will and charge a fair price you should do OK. Word of mouth will be your best salesman if your work is good.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                    Dirt work, tree clearing, maybe installing septic systems, with your skill set there are plenty things you could get into, good luck.
                    Thanks, Im not trying to get into commercial type big money, big crew deal. Septic possibly.

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                    BrianL is right. The shear cost of doing dirt work right is insane upfront. I’d do what he said and moonlight outside of the apprenticeship. The dumbest guy I know is **** near the richest I know doing HVAC. The other is an electrician. Sheep these days pay for stuff you could do I. 6 weeks.

Good luck to ya. I spent many summers on clear creek and the Arkansas River just north of BV. It’s a beautiful place that is/was overlooked when I was a teen.
                    Ive always said those are good paying careers. Just trying to get somebody to take you under their wing. Im 41 so the days are numbered...lol! Yes that is a beautiful area!

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                    I'd start with studying the market your in. Is their a local problem that doesnt have many solutions? Is there something that you can provide that doesnt have much competition? Are you trying to get into commercial bids for that work or letting residents contact you? Trying to have a local business or something you can scale?
                    Good point. The thing is nowadays there are so many people moving to the rural areas. Nobody wants to answer the phone or work for that matter. I want to get the smaller stuff, stay as busy as I want to. Not trying to get into commercial type stuff. We dont need a lot of money to survive but would rather line my pockets vs someone else.

Comment

What ever you decide to do, commit 110%. Dont half ash it. Good luck man I hope you and the family the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        Ac business is saturated here Glen. Your either top dog were they don’t even ask the price, or your dirt cheap and suck... but they don’t care cause of price.... OR your one of the 4,000 in the middle cutting each other’s throats and starving. Lol

Things needed in this area:

1. A plumber that’s worth calling twice.

2. Aerobic system installation. Lots of construction and not a lot in that market.... or none with name recognition.

Several mechanical positions probably hiring

... and if not, I have a fabulous job opportunity for ya!!!!
                        1. Again plumber you are getting into licensed trades and have to have apprentice under someone.

2. The septic system is something that isnt hard to do, will dig into that. Think that kinda goes hand in hand with dirtwork. I know there are several around the area that are into dirtwork but I doubt half of them would call you back.

3. I can always get a job turning wrenches, just not something I want to do....dont care for newer vehicles.

4. Yeah I dont care for your job opportunity......LOL! Id have to be Vienna sausage lunch / dinner poor before I did that again I think. I love the rest of the work and would probably do that in a second. Once a Boumatic milker goes in my hand Im OUT!

Comment

I think something like this would work in E.Tx
                          [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-WNtJdtKjs"]Big Job = Roof washing, gutter cleaning, soft washing, surprise find. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have a Woodmaster planer/molder for sale in the classifieds. Some folks have a pretty good side gig using them to make crown molding and trim. Was the plan for my dad when he retired but he is enjoying retirement too much.

Comment

Originally posted by glen1978 View Post
                              2. The septic system is something that isnt hard to do, will dig into that. Think that kinda goes hand in hand with dirtwork. I know there are several around the area that are into dirtwork but I doubt half of them would call you back.
                              Unless you have a installer license your looking at two years to get one. Definitely a good industry to be in. In Montgomery County there are over 100 registered installers, not sure where you are located in regards to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X