Flu shot this year...yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
    Years ago I used to think the flu vaccine couldn’t be trusted.

Then I threw my anecdotal beliefs in the garbage. Our coincidental experiences don’t prove or even suggest correlation. Historical data does, however.

A less-severe case of the flu still proves the effectiveness of the vaccine.

But this is inconvenient logic for many who won’t listen to the greater medical community lol.

Yes.
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    It was never a priority for me, if it was easy I got it but didn't go out of my way. Then two years ago I got Flu A that knocked me on my backside for 4 days and took another week to fully recover from. I was also on a backpacking expedition at the time and was all of a sudden a liability to my team instead of a leader. That strain of Flu A was on the vaccine that year and had I taken the shot I would have been fine.

I won't take that risk again.
    I'm with these guys.

Comment

I have never had the flu. I've always gotten the flu shot. Seen plenty of people with it. Maybe I'm lucky or just have a resistance to it. IDK. (Knock wood.). Did miss a couple of years. I have more trouble with allergies than anything else. I usually wait till mid October. Covers the holidays with maximum effectiveness. At least thats what I've always heard. But who knows? With this whole covid fiasco it's hard to believe anything that the "scientific" community or the CDC recommends anymore. One things for sure, I will not take a covid vaccine. Too soon. I am very skeptical of anything "fast track" that comes out of the pharmaceutical industry. Especially these days.

Comment

Only ever got mine when I lived in a pig sty of a house with 50 other guys during college. Seemed to help a lot. Might do it this year to help give my body a boost idk yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          I'm 66
          Flu shot Yes
          Shingles shot. Yes
          Pneumonia shot. Yes
          And I wear a mask in public places.

Your a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
            Your a smart man
            Second This!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
              Do most young/middle aged people recover from the flu without complications YES, but getting the vaccine helps prevent the elderly, infant children and immunocompromised from dying from it. Getting vaccinated helps decrease your susceptibility, illness and spreading of the virus. Please protect those around you, if not for yourself. Remember it can take several weeks (2-3) for the immune reaction post vaccination. So it is possible to get the flu AFTER receiving the vaccine if your body has not had the time to build up a response and you can still get a flu like illness from another strain.

Just my opinion from somebody who takes the flu shot and vaccinated both of my children without hesitation...who also happens to be a doc.

Comment

No

Comment

I get one each year. As far as I'm concerned, the only downside to the flu vaccine is it's not always effective.

I've honestly only had the flu once in my adult life. It put me down for about 4 days and took another week to get back even close to 100%. I was 24 at the time and in excellent physical condition. Each year, I think there's a lot of people out there that claim to have had the flu, but really didn't. Most people I know that had the flu ended up going to the doctor because it's that bad.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Nope. Never do. Folks who are at risk of serious complications from the flu can get vaccinated. If they're vaccinated, then it doesn't matter if I am or not. If they get lucky and the strain of flu that goes around is actually in the vaccine they received that year, then it will protect them from me if I end up getting the flu. If, as is most often the case, the vaccine ends up not being for the strain of flu that actually ends up going around and the vaccine is useless, then it doesn't matter if any of us had the shot or not.

Comment

I always get one ... their free, why not!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          I'm 66

Flu shot Yes

Shingles shot. Yes

Pneumonia shot. Yes

And I wear a mask in public places.
                          I am 66 also.

I do all the above except wear a mask unless required to do so.

Not many places here in rural Iowa require masks. Hospital, dentist office, etc. Oh yeah....Menards. Sometimes I need stuff from Menards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Got mine a few weeks ago....I hate getting sick!

Comment

Got mine weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope. I have only had the flu twice in 54 years. It was not really that big of a deal.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X