No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you have growing on the cattle panel??

Comment

Ugh all these gardens are making me miss having an area for this. Can't wait to get my own little part of texas. Grew peaches, tomato, zucchini, habaneros and peas in ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
        What do you have growing on the cattle panel??

Cucumbers.

Comment

WLGorman, live in Midlothian also and have been gardening on this rocky soil for 26 years. Garden area is around a quarter acre and yes, you need to get a lot of organic matter into it. Your welcome to visit and see what my wife and I got going here. I don't know how to pm on here but if you know how shoot me one. Live south of downtown Midlothian, also.

Comment

Keeping all my veggie scrap, egg shells, and coffee grounds. Started this because I remember my grandpa doing it. I just can't remember if he threw that stuff directly in the garden or put it in a compost pile. Anyone do this? Any kind of direction would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
              Keeping all my veggie scrap, egg shells, and coffee grounds. Started this because I remember my grandpa doing it. I just can't remember if he threw that stuff directly in the garden or put it in a compost pile. Anyone do this? Any kind of direction would be great.
              I have done both.

Comment

Look up trench composting... that really is the best "in garden" method. Essentially, you put all the compost in a shallow trench and cover it, that area is your walking path for the season and becomes your planting row the next.

I do compost piles at home, but have stopped putting food scraps in it because of all the vermin that are attracted to them. Instead, I build my compost out of non food items like coffee grounds, manures, leaves, grass clippings (weed seed free), and wood chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, not a lot in the ground yet. But, we have some lettuce, onions, carrots, and sugar snap peas coming up.

Not to forget the peppers and tomatoes in the greenhouse...

Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers

And the tomatoes as well... Black Vernissage, San Marzano, and a new variety called Brad's Atomic.

Comment

Nice looking tomatoes.

We are getting some good slow rain here in the austin area.
                    I'm thinking about planting around mid march...but I might wait closer to Easter.

Comment

Im growing okra, tomatoes, jalepenos, tabasco peppers, brussel sprouts and rosemary

Comment

I have been doing this for a few years.. Depending on the time of year I will either throw it into a compost bin or directly into the garden soil, which is 100% organic compost

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          Let them run on the ground they are to heavy for trellis. Best tasting and most prolific variety i have ever planted is a hybrid from Willhite Seeds called "Sugar Queen". Take my word on this!
                          I will try these, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                            Ugh all these gardens are making me miss having an area for this. Can't wait to get my own little part of texas. Grew peaches, tomato, zucchini, habaneros and peas in ohio.

You should do a barrel planter then! I had a few going 3-4 years ago and posted pics on the garden thread of that year. My kids now use them on their apartment balcony in Austin and Houston. Some 80+ plants within a 4' radius

Comment

Got some jalapeno seeds started. Got some beef matore seeds going in the pots this week along with Cayenne, and Anaheim. I won't deploy them out side till after Easter weekend.

Comment

I have 5 Arkansas traveler tomato plants looking real good I started from seeds. I have put them out I think one was planted premature I may lose it. JalapeƱo, bell peppers, cucumbers and squash has been started but I'm 2-3 weeks from seeing good growth

Comment

Working...
                                X