No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I've heard my beautiful wife say a couple of these.
    Last edited by Clark; 04-01-2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
      Any of you guys have a kid playing select baseball or softball? I have been coaching select ball for 3 years now and love every minute of it watching these kids grow and develop is unreal. I coach a 10u team here in Kingwood and hope to do it for many years to come. I have been playing and coaching for 30+ yrs and still love the game today as I did when I started playing. Hope to see some of you guys at some tournament this year we play at the Scrapyard,Baseball USA,Rothwood,Katy and a few other parks here in the Houston area. Good luck to you guys this year.
      Grant, good luck to yours playing this yr and hope they enjoy the game as much as you do at this age. Truly the point

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
        Yes we do. Tell Brendon Veit Coach Tommy said good luck. And good luck to Colton.
        Will do! From what I know about him, he seems like a great kid and player!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
          I pretty much still agree with you. Not sure where yall play, but my son plays for cy fair in league ball and its plenty competitive for him (and lots of fun).
          I have fun coaching and we take it serious enough for 9 yr olds.
          I have seen kids burn out on 20, 40, 60 games and yr at 8/9/10 yrs old, ive seen parents lose their minds over it and Ive seen kids that really enjoy it.
          So ya, its not for everyone. Im always a little sad to see the season end, but with the invites he gets to play a few extra games and I have fun watching.
          Again, good luck all.
          We are 2 and 0 so far this season !
          My son is a Jr. in High School now and doesn't play select ball anymore. His days of Showcase are over with also. I just enjoy watching him play and enjoy the game. My son only played for two teams when he was in select, TE out of the Woodlands and Dynasty out of Kingwood. He played select from 7 thru 14. Those were some good years.

Comment

We (Wilson Sporting Goods ) are looking to partner with Select Organizations. We have team packages that include our brands Wilson, Louisville Slugger, DeMarini, and ATEC. We are mainly looking for organizations that have 10+ teams, but we are always willing to work especially when it comes to the uniform side of the business. We have some awesome stuff coming down the pipe. If your organization is interested send me an email at heath.stanford at Wilson.com and we can get you fixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd7HUlTO690

I've heard my beautiful wife say a couple of these.
              lol!!! I had to share that one.

Comment

There has been some great advice given here, especially from those who have kids who have played it all, from league to professional baseball. We're in the early stages of my son's baseball experience (12yo) so I've formed some of my own opinions on the matter. Yes he plays select baseball now, but we try to keep things in check. We played league baseball through 10u, but it was time to move on as there is a mass migration out of league and into select style baseball these days. That's pretty unfortunate IMHO, there are a lot of kids out there that would be well served to play competitive league style baseball until 13 or 14, sadly it just isn't really an option much any more.

I won't really go into my personal feelings, but I think those that said the truly outstanding players will always emerge, no matter the path that they take, are right on the money. There are so many variables involved that believing that you are putting your kid on the path to D1 college baseball and beyond by getting them into select baseball at a young age is a misguided decision. I know quiet a few guys who played D1 college baseball, and some that have played at the minor and major league levels from my hometown. Its definately a tough road to be successful beyond high school.

There are a few things that I try to keep in mind:

1. Let them have fun.

2. Don't set some arbitrary expectation for them that you desire, let them find their own way.

3. If its in the cards, it'll happen. If it doesn't, the memories that are being made and the life experiences gained are priceless for everyone involved.

4. There is life beyond baseball. We try to hunt, fish, take the boat to the lake, etc.... A well rounded kid will be a better athlete and even better adult.

5. Cherish the time you have with them while they are young, they grow up very fast. Make youth sports a memorable, enjoyable experience. If you make it all consuming, they will burn out and regret the stress and emotional upset that they experienced along the way.

6. Playing and coaching baseball has become a way of life for our family. Its busy, hectic, fast paced, and there never seems to be any down time. With that being said, we love it, are having a blast, and have formed many great friendships from our years of being involved with league and select baseball. I've been involved with a bunch of kids from the time they were 6 years old and now they are in middle school. I've truly enjoyed watching them grow up and remain buddies to this day. We look forward to the weekends that we play for all of these reasons. I feel very fortunate to be able to give my time to young, aspiring players, and my biggest goal is to have a positive influence on them as they grow into young men. That's what its all about for me. If they turn out to be successful baseball players at some level, that's just icing on the cake.
                Last edited by rockyraider; 04-01-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

My 7yr old hit his first triple with a RBI last night.
                  Made good at bats (3 RBI's) , good stops at short and outfield.. great throws.. and earned the game ball - in league ball.
                  Our coach has kids on banditos and is a kid whisperer.. taught tanner a bunch since beginning of the year and tanners enthusiasm for the game is all time high.
                  If his talent permits, we will try the select - when if that time comes..if anything just to put him where he continuously is forced to learn and get better.
                  For now, the fundamentals, team work, and game play , he's getting from league.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                    Made good at bats (3 RBI's) , good stops at short and outfield.. great throws.. and earned the game ball - in league ball.
                    Our coach has kids on banditos and is a kid whisperer.. taught tanner a bunch since beginning of the year and tanners enthusiasm for the game is all time high.
                    If his talent permits, we will try the select - when if that time comes..if anything just to put him where he continuously is forced to learn and get better.
                    Awesome to hear ... Good luck going forward

Enjoy hearing the success of the little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      Thats great . There's nothing better then seeing your kids succeed.

We have a pretty big tournament this weekend with several teams coming up from Houston and Austin, hoping to keep rolling from our last game last Saturday night. We lost 7-5 to the best team around here but our boys played great, the LCF on the other team literally made two of the best diving catches I've ever seen at any age, he was awesome.

Comment

anyone playing next weekend in natchitoches? we moved up to AAA this week and are in the 10U open....

Comment

Congrats to Extreme Baseball for winning the 13u Batter's Box Bash at the Scrap Yard. My coworker's son plays for them and the coach is my 7yo's hitting instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                            We (Wilson Sporting Goods ) are looking to partner with Select Organizations. We have team packages that include our brands Wilson, Louisville Slugger, DeMarini, and ATEC. We are mainly looking for organizations that have 10+ teams, but we are always willing to work especially when it comes to the uniform side of the business. We have some awesome stuff coming down the pipe. If your organization is interested send me an email at heath.stanford at Wilson.com and we can get you fixed up.
                            Hey Heath, I might get with you, we are currently with New Balance for our apparel but might want to get with you about gloves and what have you. Our show case team currently has 6 D1 signees from the Houston area on our team and is well known in the Premier league. I might get you with our head coach, he would like to hear what you have to offer if your interested.

David

Comment

Kids 13u team won last night. Long weekend. 4th seed and won it all. Salty team that plays good small ball. Only have up 9 runs in 6 games. Have next 2 weekends off so headed to coast to fish

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                Kids 13u team won last night. Long weekend. 4th seed and won it all. Salty team that plays good small ball. Only have up 9 runs in 6 games. Have next 2 weekends off so headed to coast to fish
                                Thats awesome ... Congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                                X