Colorado Elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cxc02e View Post
    I missed this past November due to my friend bailing on me 2 weeks before we were set to go. I was going to do an OTC bull tag in Unit 77 or 78, that I was going to purchase when I arrived . . . but I never went. It was actually a good thing because a couple of Park Rangers told me they had been having some late winters (which drives the elk above 12k) and the 3rd rifle season turned out to be over 80 degrees. I'm entering the draw for this year's upcoming hunt and going in the 4th rifle season (even if I have to go by myself). However, if there's someone on here that would like to talk about going together (especially anyone who's been before), then I would really like to talk!! I'm not opposed to going to a different Unit if you know of one that's better.
    I need this, would love to be your apprentice
    I'll even offer to drive. Been trying to get to Colorado for hunting for a long time just that first step is unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by TJShockler View Post
      A weeks worth of gear, camp, food, and bow! 39 pounds !!
      Now THAT's what interests me, packing light with everything I need for a week on my back. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cxc02e View Post
        I missed this past November due to my friend bailing on me 2 weeks before we were set to go. I was going to do an OTC bull tag in Unit 77 or 78, that I was going to purchase when I arrived . . . but I never went. It was actually a good thing because a couple of Park Rangers told me they had been having some late winters (which drives the elk above 12k) and the 3rd rifle season turned out to be over 80 degrees. I'm entering the draw for this year's upcoming hunt and going in the 4th rifle season (even if I have to go by myself). However, if there's someone on here that would like to talk about going together (especially anyone who's been before), then I would really like to talk!! I'm not opposed to going to a different Unit if you know of one that's better.
        Be glad you sat this last year out. The elk were SCARCE. My dad, as well as some others, bought OTC tags and didn't see one elk in 8 days, not even a cow. I did find some elk droppings that were about a day or two old, but other than that, elk hunting was tough on everyone. Even the locals didn't know where the elk were. There wasn't enough snow to push them down so even during the 3rd season, they were up really high. The only time we heard about anyone seeing elk is when we talked to one of the locals and they said that, a few days before we arrived, the Parks and Wildlife dept. detonated some charges on 800 head of elk over in unit 71 to disperse them before the 3rd season started.

Comment

Yea last year was hard to hunt.

Comment

My daughter, my son, their stepdad and me are heading up to hunt elk for the first time with a bow in September. I used to gun hunt up there before the draw started.

We will be hunting in units 71 & 711, at least as of now anyway. I have a friend with local contacts up there, so we will see. We have a cabin to stay in instead of trying to backpack in.

My daughter is in the best shape and she is setting up a workout plan for me as well as hiking at the lakes and parks near by. The altitude was no joke when I was half my age now, so we are getting our feet wet so to speak.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Heading to unit 85 on private land in October with a rifle this year. Been working my tail off on my bowflex x5. Anybody used an altitude mask with any success for training?

Comment

I seem to remember Sean using one last summer while training for an elk hunt. He posted a picture that likely scared the neighborhood women and children wearing the mask and a hoodie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted just west of Lone Cone last year. It was too hot in September. Lot of bugles but no bulls.They were just too high or over the fence.

Comment

Did you establish a base camp and hunt from there all week or was it a mobile camp that changed locations as you hunted the area?? How far up/away from roads/civilization were you guys hunting? What kind of temps did you folks encounter??

I am very interested in doing something similar. Just need to do more research and take the plunge I guess.

Comment

In for info... this is my dad's dream hunt and I'd love to make it happen for him if I can.

Originally posted by Fcasthtr View Post
                      Make sure if you guys are bow hunting you check out the regs for archery equipment. If you don't feel like searching for it here it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      All standard stuff... no crossbows.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        In for info... this is my dad's dream hunt and I'd love to make it happen for him if I can.

All standard stuff... no crossbows.

Yea but most people probably don't look at the fact it says maximum let off of 80%. Most mathews bows for one come with 85% let off

Comment

Colorado Elk hunting

Yea but most people probably don't look at the fact it says maximum let off of 80%. Most mathews bows for one come with 85% let off

My Z7 lets off 80%

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            My Z7 lets off 80%

Well then you'd be good to go. But the newer ones aren't. And when I went to a local shop they asked me why and I told them and the guy didn't believe me so he went and looked at it for himself. Then said how he had sent a handful of people with bows that were not legal

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                              I seem to remember Sean using one last summer while training for an elk hunt. He posted a picture that likely scared the neighborhood women and children wearing the mask and a hoodie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                              When the masks first came out, they were touted as the next best thing. However, after years of research, hypoxic training has proved to yield minimal results. Yes, it does build lung "strength," but if you only wear the mask for an hour or two of training, the VO2 effects only last a few hours. That's why the Olympic cycling team actually train and live at altitude in Boulder, Co for months. Only then you can gain some semi-long term effect on increasing your oxygen uptake during exertion. Here are some good articles on the subject:

Hypoxic training, or the practice of limiting oxygen availability while training, has been used for decades to improve performance. The United States Olympic Training Center is located just south of Denver, Colorado, because it is the highest city in the United States, where the air is thinnest. Training in this environment will boost the production of red blood...

How can one raise their VO2 Max? VO2 max is an effective way of measuring one's aerobic fitness ... Find out what your level of fitness is and what you can do to it improve it right here. Learn more.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Comment

Look at your bow . . . some have a simple adjustment on the cam that allows you to change it to 65% let-off.

Comment

Working...
                                X