Safe Wind Speed for Brush Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe Wind Speed for Brush Burning

What do you consider a safe wind speed for brush burning? Mindy and I have recently had an area cleared of trees for a pond site. The treetops and brush have been pushed up in piles in a couple of clearings. Most of the surrounding area has been laid bare by the dozer or are just green grass. This is in Hunt County where there is currently no burn ban. We need to get rid of the brush piles and cut up the stumps before the pond can progress further because, not only are they in the way of the pond, but also the house pad site where the excess dirt from the pond will be utilized.

The forecast tomorrow and Sunday is for 10-20mph wind. Is that too high? What do you consider to be the maximum wind speed that is still safe for burning under these conditions. Here are some pictures of the brush piles and surrounding areas, just to give you a better idea.

You don't want much of a wind at all........10 may be ok, but I think 20 is too much.....Do you have access to water where you want to burn?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
      You don't want much of a wind at all........10 may be ok, but I think 20 is too much.....Do you have access to water where you want to burn?
      I can get a water hose to all the piles that are on the house pad site. There is one big one (shown in the 3rd and 4th pictures) that is at the pond site. That one I can't reach with a water hose.

Comment

For clarification...

Pictures 1, 2 and 5 are the house site. (Same several piles, just from different angles.)

Pictures 3 and 4 are the pond site. (Again, same pile, but from different angles.)

Comment

As green as it looks I think you would be ok......

Comment

Still, damp morning is best....

Comment

Not me! Look in to a brush mulcher/shredder...the tractor driven type.

Comment

Rx burn parameters. RH > 30%, Wind speed 7-20mph. I'd light it off first thing in the morning before the winds pick up. With all that bare dirt around I wouldn't be too worried about it getting out.

Just call the Sheriff's Office before you light it off and make a courtesy call to your local VFD.

Comment

David as one that has to chase those fires there is great advice above. Relative humidity above 30% I would be more comfortable above 50%. Definately early as possible wind will pick up after noon. Everything looks green but evergreens are hard to judge. Corection just blew it up on the wides iPhone looks like plenty of hardwoods so they shouldn't go up like a matchstick. Our cedars are green but blow up when we have fires. Definately let the SO and local FD know cause they will be getting blown up with calls. Your waterhose will help but if it gets going the hose is going to be little help. We are still under a burn ban, fire work, and outdoor open fire bbqs. Be safe and don't take your eyes off them for a second.
                  Last edited by HandiKap Bowhunter; 06-10-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

First, check to see if there is a "burn ban" in your county. If there isn't a burn ban, proceed to #2.

Second, only calm winds will do ... Zero (0) to 5 mph MAX. You can never predict where embers will fly ... especially being carried aloft by hot air rising from your big fire. You sure don't want to set your own place on fire, let alone your neighbors' place.

Third, once a fire gets going and gets out of control on your property, the fire will want to gobble everything down wind of it. A water hose, no .... two water hoses won't put it out.

Fourth, check with the local Vol. Fire Dept and get their opinion ... since they will be having to fight an out of control fire if you start it.

Fifth, "when in doubt about burning, DON'T".

Comment

If you do burn it make sure you back burn it. So if the wind is coming out of the south you want to light the north side of the pile. Soak the surrounding areas with water before you lite it. And don't lite it if the wind is going to be more than 10mph.

Comment

Humidity needs to be high, with a low wind, less than 10mph. Burning brush from trees is different than burning a pasture, and embers from brush piles are larger than embers from grasses. You don't have to worry about it creeping away from the pile due to the dirt, but you definately need to worry about embers drifting in the wind, and those could go several hundred feet. Low humidity and high temperatures make it more likely that burning embers can ignite a grass fire when they land. Also, if those larger trees were recently dozed and are still green, they will likely sit there and simmer several days. You'll want to babysit those things until they are burned completely up.

Comment

David years ago when I built my house I made a $100 donation to the VFD to come out and have their weekly practice session while we burned the trees cleared from my home site. They kept the closest trees watered down while the flames were high. Maybe you could do the same?

Comment

Well, it's looking like a no-go this morning. Best forecast I can find says 12mph and, unfortunately, it was already blowing at daybreak. Secondly, I didn't have my ducks in a row as far as notifying Sheriff and VFD. I hope to talk to them today about the possibility of burning tomorrow morning. Bill, I'll ask about the VFD practice session thing when I talk to them. Thanks for that idea!

I also hope to talk to the guy who cut the trees about cutting up the stumps for fire wood. I am hoping he will do some of the burning for me at the same time, as I know he has a lot of experience with tending brush fires.

Thanks for all the opinions, experiences and advice. Keep them coming; I'm all ears!

Comment

Dave, dont burn, push em to the side, dig the pond and push em in the pond site for fish hides.

Comment

Working...
                              X