Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The Reckoning was on the short list. It is very similar to the Cavern (with identical independent compression system). Have you hunted with yours yet? How do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great choice! I'll be curious to get your feedback after your hunt.

I was leaning toward Sitka or Kuiu for camo clothing, but I found a great deal on these First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants and an Aero Wool shirt.

I'm not afraid to mix-and-match patterns and brands!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
      I will disagree with a sidearm being a requirement. Every bear I've ever seen in Colorado was tripping over itself to escape, cubs included.

If you are so close to a sow she feels defense is the only option, she will have you on the ground before you can pull your sidearm.

Awareness is the best defense.

This is definitely a personal call. I have hunted in the mountains for 18 years. I have seen a number of bear that will run away and most that we never saw but heard. I have only been charged once. It was a false charge but it got scary quickly. You just never know. If carrying a sidearm makes you feel better I'd say take it.

With that said I don't carry in the woods while bow hunting however this year I am taking my boys and it will make me feel better if I have one.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
        I will disagree with a sidearm being a requirement. Every bear I've ever seen in Colorado was tripping over itself to escape, cubs included.

If you are so close to a sow she feels defense is the only option, she will have you on the ground before you can pull your sidearm.

Awareness is the best defense.
        Here's a lot of stories that say otherwise.

Comment

Handheld gps and compass for sure.
          Friends of mine got lost there for 2 days.

Comment

You're in deep now, Middleton.

Comment

All three make great gear. I bought the First Lite uncompaghre vest. Bought black ovis wool base layer top and boxer briefs. Still wearing my Cabela's microtex pants and top. Have looked at corregate guide and Sitka mountain pants, and both tops, but haven't found and great deals in my size. Bought Crispi Nevada uninsulated boots.
              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Great choice! I'll be curious to get your feedback after your hunt.

I was leaning toward Sitka or Kuiu for camo clothing, but I found a great deal on these First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants and an Aero Wool shirt.

I'm not afraid to mix-and-match patterns and brands!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

interesting thread,Sub'd

Comment

Originally posted by equyst View Post
                  interesting thread,Sub'd

Be sure to sub to my YouTube channel, as well. I'm going to be doing gear "preview" videos ahead of my hunt and then more comprehensive reviews after I get back.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I made a new video highlighting my current sleep system that I'll likely run this fall, including an interesting new synthetic quilt from Outdoor Vitals.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF47WVHuC0"]My Backcountry Elk Sleep System - Tarp, Quilt, Pad (Outdoor Vitals) - YouTube[/ame]
                    In this edition of the Elk Prep series, I preview the sleep system that I'll be using for my back country elk hunt in September. Items included:DD Hammock - ...

Do you prefer ground (tarp or tent?) or hammock camping?
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

On the fence between tarp and tent, but am using 1 1/2 man tent with xtherm pad and 20 degree bag this year.

Comment

Get you a Montana elk decoy!!! They work like a mofo!!!!!and they breakdown and weigh nada. They are around 120? I think or I have one in my garage ill sell.

Comment

Originally posted by cram369 View Post
                          On the fence between tarp and tent, but am using 1 1/2 man tent with xtherm pad and 20 degree bag this year.

Perfect! What's the total weight of that system?

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                          Get you a Montana elk decoy!!! They work like a mofo!!!!!and they breakdown and weigh nada. They are around 120? I think or I have one in my garage ill sell.
                          I think Adam may have one, but I'll check it out! Thanks!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Tent 4 lbs 2 oz
                            Neo air 5.7 r value 17 oz
                            Sleeping bag 2 lbs 6 oz
                            Should be able to cut 7 oz from tent when I pick up aluminum poles, but a 10 x 10 tarp system would only weight 1 1/2 lbs

Comment

Curious to see what all your gear weighs. I didn't read thru your list, but a bow sling was something I didn't take on my first trip....but I dang sure had one on my second!

I bet on your next trip you streamline the hail out of your gear I know I did!

Comment

I have an excel spreadsheet I have pulled off the internet and catered to what I'm bringing. Would be happy to share it with anybody if you PM your email address. Breaks down gear by category and displays price and weight. You can pull the original spreadsheet here

Gear and 4 days of food and 3L of water- I'm at 36.8lbs packed if I leave my rain gear and extra t-shirt at the truck. 39.12lbs if I bring it.
                                Last edited by Patton; 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X