Coyote versus Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote versus Pig

With the cooler weather my husband and I thought it would be nice to finish out the evening sitting on our front porch watching the cows graze and the sun set. Our front porch faces due south and no matter how hot it gets there is always a cool breeze on the porch, which is about 60 feet long. The view from the front porch is pure Texas – wide open space but lots of trees and gently rolling terrain to give it character. To the east and south is our neighbor’s 125 acre hay pasture. Past that, the land rolls gently down for 4.5 miles to the Little River and at the river’s bank is Sugarloaf Mountain. The mountain is visible from our front porch.

To the west is our front pasture where the cows were grazing. Somewhere halfway between due south and due west lies a small stock tank that is surrounded by willows, persimmons, and mesquite trees. A small grove of young mesquite trees dots the space to the left of the tank and leads up to an oak tree grove. This is about 250+ yards from the front porch.

While my husband and I sat quietly I thought I heard some wild hogs squeal by the tank. I looked over to the tank thinking if I could see I might be able to hear better. Just then a large black hog darted from the backside of the tank through the mesquites and into the oak grove. I said, “Hogs! Look!” pointing in the direction. My husband acknowledged the sighting and we both continued to stare in the direction. A few seconds later a dozen little piglets raced after the black hog, which I assumed to be a sow at this point. Then rounding up the last of the piglets was another sow. Knowing they would only be there for a few minutes we didn’t bother to get the rifle and go after them.

We returned our gaze to the south and talked sporadically for several minutes. We watched Ace, our Lacy dog, chase wasps and then come to us for some loving attention. Then I heard it – a faint squeal that was getting louder.

I looked towards the stock tank and saw something move. I announced, “those pigs are back!” The words barely left my mouth when we saw a large coyote running from the west to the south east on the right side of the tank carrying a baby pig!

That little pig squealed and squealed! I darted inside to get the binos. The coyote stopped about 175 yards from us and looked back. Then he dropped the piglet and killed it. He picked it up by the throat, looked around then ran under our fence and into our neighbor’s hay pasture to eat it. I wish I had been closer because it would have made for an awesome photo!

I have never heard of a pack of coyotes killing a pig much less a lone coyote taking one! It was so cool to see that!

Though you forgot the pic of your porch view, cool story and great write up. Amazing what punctuation and a couple paragraphs will do.

Comment

Cool for sure! I was trapping pigs on a place a few years ago and the landowners told me not to shoot coyotes or bobcats, because they were the only natural predators to hogs. I didn't really figure they knew what they were talking about because "they ain't from around here!" I respected their wishes anyway, and have now been proven wrong.[emoji3]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Exactly, Musckles - I've always been told coyotes and bobcats are not big enough to take a piglet from the super aggressive sows. I've also been told mountain lions are the only ones and even they will prefer easier meals. I told my neighbors what happened and he said he's never heard of anything like that. He's lived here as a farmer all his life.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me at all except for the part that you got to see it. About a year ago I was hog hunting at night with my bow. I heard pigs about 75 yards away and they were coming to me. I figured they were coming to the feeder but a sow ran right by me at about 3 yards. At this point I got ready to shoot. Then about 7 piglets ran by me not slowing down at all, then a coyote came running out only about 20 yards behind the piglets. I shot the coyote as it was running by at about 7 yards, I hit it in the hind quarters and never found it but I'm sure it ended his life as I could tell I broke the offside back leg. I would bet the coyote would have got one of those piglets if I didn't shoot it because those piglets were trailing moma by a ways and the coyote was a lot closer to the piglets then moma was.

Comment

I was sitting in a tree and a fairly good sized sow was taken down by a group of yotes right behind me a few years back. Man, you wanna talk about loud...thing squealed at the top of its lungs from the first bite until it finally succumbed probably 15 minutes later.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably behave similarly if being eaten alive slowly, but man it was annoying.

Comment

that's cool for sure!

Comment

I was calling down south one cold winter morning. Nothing had responded to any of the calls. I started scrolling though the menu and “Baby Pig Distress” pops up. I figured what the heck. About 2 min into that sound a double comes charging in. Got lucky and killed both with the shotgun. Have called a few more since then using same sound. Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Cool story

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Piglets are an easy meal for coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

great story!

Comment

If you will pay attention to the coyote poo in areas that have a lot of pigs, you will find a lot of pig hair in the coyote poo!
                        They love to catch those little ones that are less than 5lbs.

You can use a pig in distress call to call up coyotes also!

Comment

cool story

Comment

Working...
                          X