No announcement yet.

2018 College Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I loved about that popup play was that the 2nd baseman saw that ball go up and the 1st thing he thought was "I'm gonna go get the 27th out to win the CWS!"

What I hated was the right fielder didn't....

Give me guy #1 everytime, and I'll take my chances.

Comment

too many gloves in same vicinity ...no one callin the ball... and the tittie guy in the crowd.....= NoShip.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        You're right.
        Those boys.. NEVER ..not once... from K-ball, t-ball, little league, select, showcase high school AND college...practiced catching flyballs.

holy**** man.
        Watch a major league game... IT HAPPENS TO THE VERY BEST.
        You can go ahead and tap the brakes on the condescension. I have witnessed good coaching of my own son all the way up to the college level, and I have seen specific instances turned into teachable moments. True, that things happen beyond anyone's control, but excellent coaches figure out ways to get their players focused and to limit mental errors and to heighten chances on borderline plays.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          You can go ahead and tap the brakes on the condescension. I have witnessed good coaching of my own son all the way up to the college level, and I have seen specific instances turned into teachable moments. True, that things happen beyond anyone's control, but excellent coaches figure out ways to get their players focused and to limit mental errors and to heighten chances on borderline plays.
          so now the coaches (in the College World Series) ...are at fault for not preparing their players...who have been playing the game since they could walk... how to handle the pressure , and focus on a variable situation...in the biggest game of their lives ...with the biggest play of their lives... and not have a blunder moment that Major League Players still make daily ?

c'mon man.

Comment

You are totally missing my point in trying so hard to discredit it. My point is not to fault the coach for the players' botching the foul ball play; rather, I'm saying that such a play will indeed create a point of emphasis for other coaches to consider in preparation of their teams at every level. For such a thing to happen in such a vital moment heightens the awareness of it, and I'm predicting that other coaches will react in whatever creative ways they can come up with to try and avoid a similar result. That is all I'm saying.

Comment

my point is its already being coached... from little league on up.....
              its a fundamental of the game...
              they are constantly drilled on fly balls, covering, backing up , running in...all through out their careers....
              they watch it every day on the biggest stages....
              but even the simplest of plays, get blundered by the VERY BEST this game has ever seen..every night....
              if human error could have been coached out of someone..we would NEVER see it in the minor/major...or hell, little league/select ball.
              **** happens.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                too many gloves in same vicinity ...no one callin the ball... and the tittie guy in the crowd.....= NoShip.
                Looked to me like 2nd baseman called the ball and RF deferred to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Looked to me like 2nd baseman called the ball and RF deferred to him.
                  he "said" he didnt hear anyone call the ball... and he over shot it...but you saw what i saw...he came in hot the others backed off and he got over anxious.

"if you call it..you better catch it" ---think i mightve said that at the time it happened

Comment

Of course fundamentals are taught at every level.

I'm merely predicting that tricky foul ball plays will be practiced more going forward as a point of emphasis -- as a direct result of this high-profile play. Time will tell if this is true.

And, yes, "stuff" will continue to happen, regardless.

Comment

Maybe... except there was nothing tricky about that play to try and teach to avoid that hasnt already been instilled in them over and over and over from a very young age.
                      It had 3 guys that all couldve got the ball but the age old 'who's got it' mixed with the overzealous team leader rushing in to be a hero blunder happened.
                      Thats not something that can be coached out...or it wouldve by now.(not just out of them, but the game itself) which is why you still see the very same blunder happen at the major level.

It happened, and it will again as long as theres a super competitive nature in the players.

Comment

I can see it both ways. We always assume that everyone knows the hierarchy of who calls who off. Would not hurt to run that drill every few weeks. There are more "dead spots" on the field than we tend to believe; where everyone and no one thinks the ball is theirs.

Comment

That play doesn't get made a time or two every night in the bigs.

People need to let it go, and let those kids move on. The pitcher didn't HAVE to give up a tater to the next guy....and the rest of the team COULD HAVE helped out a little in game 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                            You practice for exactly that situation. Didn't you ever -- as a kid -- say: "here's Little Playa, pitching with the bases loaded in the 9th for all the marbles; gotta have a K here. He goes with the curve... got eem swingin; !!!"

Practice is about making extraordinary situations routine and do-able. It's also about identifying who as players is "clutch" and putting those guys on the field.
                            You do t seriously think pretending actually prepares you, I mean you are joking right? I’m all for visualization exercises, but there is still a huge gap to reality.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            That play doesn't get made a time or two every night in the bigs.

People need to let it go, and let those kids move on. The pitcher didn't HAVE to give up a tater to the next guy....and the rest of the team COULD HAVE helped out a little in game 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yep Arkansa had more than that 1 play to win. 38 strikeouts, any one of them could have been a difference maker.

Comment

Some of you guys have no imagination. And you give the really good baseball coaches out there little credit for being able to come up with ways to improve odds of success on such plays.

Just because those plays get missed nightly at all levels doesn't mean that clever and resourceful coaches won't be trying to figure out ways to do better. "Point of emphasis" is what I'm predicting will happen regarding fielder communication on those plays.

Really don't understand why some want to argue the point. It's a prediction. Period.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Wish astros coaches would have practiced with jake on a catching fly balls against the wall while tracking the ball against a white cieling...
                                I bet that will be part of spring training next season.
                                It will be the session directly after not hitting into double plays.
                                Just a prediction.

Comment

Working...
                                X