No announcement yet.

Rattle can rifle stock paintjob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very, very nice. Thanks for the instructions.

I'm assuming you took the gun apart? Barrel, trigger, etc. Or, did you just tape / cover all the metal really well?
    Last edited by mikemorvan; 01-23-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Those turned out great. Thanks for the idea

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Very, very nice. Thanks for the instructions.

I'm assuming you took the gun apart? Barrel, trigger, etc. Or, did you just tape / cover all the metal really well?
        Just removed the action and barrell from the stock, as well as the trigger guard/floor plate. On a remington 700 that's as easy as removing 2 bolts, not very familiar with other makes of rifle but couldnt be too terribly hard to do.

I did not take many pictures of the process, but this is one I did snap. Here it is curing in between the web paint and clear coat. Hung it up in the spare bedroom closet, my wife wasn't as happy about that idea as I hoped she would be.

Last edited by kwperry; 01-23-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Very nicely done. Cheap option to boot.

Comment

Great job, those are awesome.

Comment

Wow. That looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That looks really good. I like how the pistol turned out as well

Comment

2 [emoji106] up from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont think it could have turned out any better. That looks really nice man. You done good !!!!

Comment

Surface prep

Originally posted by kwperry View Post
                        I did not do any surface prep of the old stock besides washing it with warm soapy water. After it was good and dry I hung the rifle from the swivel studs with some bailing wire. I sprayed 3-4 coats of the desert tan, allowing 5-10 minutes between coats. Then I let it hang in the closet and cure for about a week.

The next step was the krylon marbelizing paint. It's an aerosol can but it actually shoots out a type of fibers with the paint (think silly string). I did some experimenting on a cardboard box to figure out the spray pattern and then I started on the rifle stock. You have to do pretty fast sweeping motions with this stuff to achieve the web look. I then hung that up and let it cure for a few days.

Lastly I applied the clear coat in a similar method as the tan paint. Maybe 2 or 3 light coats, and then a final coat that was a little heavier. Instructions on the paint said the last coat should look wet, but I was careful not to make any runs. Let that hang up about a week.

All in all I am happy with the final product. The finish seems durable enough since I gave the paint plenty time to cure. I basically just followed the instructions on each of the paint cans as far as dry/recoat/cure times. The fiber paint didnt get completely slicked over by the clear coat, so the stock still has a roughish texture to it that I like. Should really help with cold or wet hands if I ever run into that.
                        That looks like a great job!!! I have done several synthetic stocks in hydrographics and would highly recommend scuffing the crap out of the stock first with a red scotch brite pad and then following the instructions on a can of Bulldog adhesion promoter for plastic before painting. Other than that you did a great job!

Comment

That looks awesome.

Comment

Nicely done bud! Both look great!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Looks great, thanks for pics of product and technique.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
                                That looks like a great job!!! I have done several synthetic stocks in hydrographics and would highly recommend scuffing the crap out of the stock first with a red scotch brite pad and then following the instructions on a can of Bulldog adhesion promoter for plastic before painting. Other than that you did a great job!
                                Thanks for the tips sir, I will definitely remember that next time my broke butt tries to make another counterfeit B&C stock!

Comment

Working...
                                X