No announcement yet.

Best Home Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak knives. You ever see that kid in Starsky and Hutch throw them?

Comment

Shotgun for me too. I have in my lifetime fired 1,000 times more rounds out of a shotgun than any other weapon. Having never been in a combat situation I figure it is wise to use a gun I don't have to think about. Handling a shotgun is second nature and my best chance when dealing with the brain fog/adrenaline of a life threatening incident.

Comment

Just bought this one for the Mrs!
        Attached Files

Comment

A dog, most break in's result from checking a house first. If you have a dog barking they don't come back.

Comment

German Shepherd

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              Nothing beats a biting dog
              This!

Comment

Whatever I can grab the quickest. I still think I need to get a chainsaw for a home defense weapon. You talk about the sound of a shotgun chambering a round making someone run,mine is already loaded. But a chainsaw would have the same affect if not even better. If you were in someone's house in the dark,you've never been there before so you don't know the layout and somewhere in the darkness you hear a chainsaw try to turn over. All the sudden the chainsaw comes to life and a half naked guy runs out swinging it,lops the legs off a table and continues towards you....you ain't gonna stay there and see what happens next.

Heck I'd probably run out fully nude just for the full affect.
                Last edited by okrattler; 01-09-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
                  German Shepherd
                  This and my 9 if they get past him!

Comment

What you need to be concerned with in home defense is over penetration. As much as I love the AR platform, it is way to powerful of a home defense weapon IMO. A 12ga shotgun with #6's or 4's is lethal at living room, hallway, stairway and bedroom distances without fear of over penetration. Do a few tests on your own...Construct a mock up wall with 2x4's and insulation. Shoot at it with different calibers and weapons. See if a Beta mag and a M4 is the right recipe. Put a .22lr up against 4-6 layers of 1/2" sheetrock. See what you get. Loads of youtube vids on this topic.
                    The shotgun is the right medicine for home defense.

Comment

put me in the shotgun camp

Comment

Need to get I D first. migratory intruders will require non toxic shot.

Comment

Originally posted by allenshawn1 View Post
                          The sound of the action alone is enough to make someone ***x there pants.
                          I leave mine loaded in the chamber. Racking a pump shotgun only alerts a burglar to your presence, location, and the fact you are armed ,IMO.
                          Last edited by grizzman; 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                            I'll take a SBR over anything else.

This and preferably suppressed. An AR15 with the right ammo (think 40 grain VMAX type stuff) over penetrates way less than a typical defensive handgun or a shotgun with 00 buck.

Bird shot in a shotgun wouldn’t even be a consideration for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                              I leave mine loaded in the chamber. Racking a pump shotgun only alerts a burglar to your presence, location, and the fact you are armed ,IMO.
                              I have one in the chamber as well. Actually don't even have a pump anymore. The semi is loaded with 00 buck shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                                A dog, most break in's result from checking a house first. If you have a dog barking they don't come back.
                                Yup. And dogs are good for telling you if your kids are sneaking in and out.

Comment

Working...
                                X