Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

7mm Rem Mag vs 7mm STW -- What's the difference??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm Rem Mag vs 7mm STW -- What's the difference??

We were talking guns this morning at work and got a guy thinking of buying a new 7 mag. We found some ballistics and the STW outperforms on paper.

But does anyone have a picture of the two cartridges side-by-side???

Blake, Smart, Chew????

Not alot in factory loadings. Quite a big difference in Custom Ammo...

Comment

Here is a pic of the bullets next to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
        http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammun...207/index.html

Here is a pic of the bullets next to each other.
        Exactly what I was looking for. Now why couldn't I find that!! Not to mention the guy that started it all. Layne Simpson.

thanks

Comment

ditto on what ragin said...

I had a buddy that handloads for the STW, and the difference is substantial.

I'm not sure of the exact load, with with a barnes triple shock 160 grain bullet, he is getting almost 3400 FPS, vs the factory 7mm rem mag load of just under 3000 FPS.

400 FPS extra with a 160 grain bullet translates to quite a bit of energy, as well as shooting a few inches flatter at 400 yards.

if you don't plan on reloading, just get the 7mm rem mag, or even the 7mm short mag

the main difference is the the STW is made from the old 8mm rem mag casing, and then necked down.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            ditto on what ragin said...

I had a buddy that handloads for the STW, and the difference is substantial.

I'm not sure of the exact load, with with a barnes triple shock 160 grain bullet, he is getting almost 3400 FPS, vs the factory 7mm rem mag load of just under 3000 FPS.

400 FPS extra with a 160 grain bullet translates to quite a bit of energy, as well as shooting a few inches flatter at 400 yards.

if you don't plan on reloading, just get the 7mm rem mag, or even the 7mm short mag
            X2... The 7mm Remington Mag is hard to beat as far as factory loadings... And with all these new ballistic compensating scopes the couple extra inches flatter is nill...

But I like that 6.5 STW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by JW; 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

the main difference is the the STW is made from the old 8mm rem mag casing, and then necked down.
              these would be handloads.

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
              X2... The 7mm Remington Mag is hard to beat as far factory loadings...
              I heard that.

But we have found from several ammunition sites that the speed is about 400 fps faster. But what jumped out was the down range energy. It was 200+ on several charts. Getting factory loads to do that is a different ball game.

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

John Burns of Best of the West and owner of Best of the West Gunwerks told me that the 7mm STW was one of the best for long range hunting without going to a wildcat round... He prefered it to the 7mm Rem Mag and the 7mm Weatherby...

Comment

A buddy of mine reloads the 7 STW I will see what I can drag out of him for performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    John Burns of Best of the West and owner of Best of the West Gunwerks told me that the 7mm STW was one of the best for long range hunting without going to a wildcat round... He prefered it to the 7mm Rem Mag and the 7mm Weatherby...

Thats a good tip there. This guy would be using this as his primary "out west" go to gun. He has been going to Colorado for a few years now and is thinking of upgrading.

Just round table talk as usual this Monday morning.

Comment

a lot more powder usage.

Comment

How does it compare to the 7mm Ultra mag? does anyone have pictures comparing these two casings?

Comment

There is also THE 7.21 Firebird / Lazzeroni....99gr of powder behind a nickle coated 120gr triple shok coming out close to 3900fps on the Oehler. Barrel life is only going to be around 900 rounds before accuracy starts to fade. Mine is built on the same Sako action as their TRG Lapua sniper rigs & a 30" Hart bbl. It's a heavy beast.....we kill 3 or 4 deer with it every year.

.220 Swift
                          .257 Wby
                          .280 AI (30-06 case)

I like the stw but this lazz. is just a crazy flat whitetail round.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What casing is the Lazz built on? I notice it is not belted.

Comment

spud , FYI ..........

depending on the bullet weight used and powder selection, you can load various powder charges weighing from :

cartridge ...................powder charge.........approx. velocity 150 gr bullet ...

7 mm Mag............................ 65 to 70 grs ... roughly 3100 fps

7 STW................................. 80 to 90 grs .... roughly 3350 fps

Rem 7mm Ultra mag................. 85 to 100 grs ... roughly 3250 fps

280 Ack Imp (my favorite )..... 57 to 62 grs .... roughly 3000 fps

7 mm Win Short Mag ............... 55 to 70 grs .....roughly 3000 fps
                              Last edited by Cajun Blake; 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X