Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
    Definately a liability issue here in Texas....you just have to know people!...its not what you know but who u know....that's it
    Thats true about alot of things!!

Comment

I agree with all about trust. THINK ABOUT IT - Who will let a stranger or someone you don't know come onto your private property with a weapon, not in 2017, maybe in 1957.

Also to Navy Chief, he is point on about Public Hunting Land opportunities. Pay $40 Annual Public hunting permit with a Texas hunting license and you can hunt endless places. I am nearby a large federal property (200,000+ acres) and rarely anyone hunts it. Like was said before, it's who you know. My family has land and before they did I knew people with land, you got a will then find the way!

Comment

I've been burned TWICE by people that I TRUSTED.
        About all I'll do anymore is take someone out to the place. There is no more open access granted any more.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          here is my take... Most of the folks looking for "free" hunts are entitlement mentality folks. Im sure you are the exception. Those same folks are the most likely to push the limits and abuse the invitation, they dont have a vested interest anyway. If you dont believe me, go read the GUEST MISTAKES thread. It will open your eyes to why land owners wont let guests on their property.
          I agree. We had one guy on our place running hogs with dogs at the request of the guys that were planting corn on our place.
          Everything started out great, then he started bringing all his buddies out with him. I found about 6 guys out running hogs one day. Not the agreement. The last straw was a gate on the county road left open.

Another guy I had known for many years and he was just trapping. His son ended up shooting a deer.

Comment

My land is like my home, it's personal. Just like I don't want some Joe Blow walking around my backyard, I don't want them out on my land. 1 hunt will turn into 2 and then 3 and the next thing you know you have a new resident. Then comes the "man I saw a really nice buck out there" and now they know you have good deer.....to me unless you want to run a lease for hunters you only take family and friends to help with hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
              My land is like my home, it's personal. Just like I don't want some Joe Blow walking around my backyard, I don't want them out on my land. 1 hunt will turn into 2 and then 3 and the next thing you know you have a new resident. Then comes the "man I saw a really nice buck out there" and now they know you have good deer.....to me unless you want to run a lease for hunters you only take family and friends to help with hogs.
              This is so true. Don't forget " Would it be ok if I bring a friend or two."

Comment

Inherited a place in Centerville. Friends I trust (very few) could go shoot pigs while I was there.
                A friend of my dad's could go up when he wants and shoot pigs and he's let one of his employees do it the employee had earned trust and knee he'd probably not only lose hunting permission but also his job if he screwed up (place is now sold)

Have a best friend that owns a large place that's invited me to go shoot pigs with him...Not without him and that's the same way I would do it

If it was someone I didn't know I'd charge them because I wouldn't someone there when I wasn't...If I'm having to supervise you I want to get paid for my time but would have no interest in doing that anyway. Most people going to hunt pigs want to see them which means feeders which means corn and time and money etc.
                Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 02-22-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

OP since you own land in Wisconsin I'm sure you would be able to swap a hunt with someone...If pigs are something your really interested in offer to take someone home for a whitetail hunt in exchange for pig hunting with them...Would you let someone you don't know have free run of your place without supervising them?

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                    OP since you own land in Wisconsin I'm sure you would be able to swap a hunt with someone...If pigs are something your really interested in offer to take someone home for a whitetail hunt in exchange for pig hunting with them...Would you let someone you don't know have free run of your place without supervising them?
                    I understand the reciprocity approach, but whitetails are not equal hogs in my book. Maybe if it was for a coyote hunt, we could talk.

As far as allowing people on, we always do, unsupervised. We just need to have trust, like everyone else has said. I am blessed to have my dad living close to it, so he knows what's going on most of the time. Our land is outside of town 15 miles, in a town of about 10,000. We know just about everyone. It's your typical small town, so if someone does something, everyone knows about it within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                      Plenty of hogs in Texas on public land...48 bucks...get your bow and go....the army corps lake where I live has thousands of hogs....I shot a trophy boar 3 weeks ago
                      I Agree! There are hogs all over a lot of Corps property and a lot of those permits are free[emoji106]

Comment

ADD: We only let friends hunt when we are down. No one regardless of how well I know them has free reign.

Big bucks and hunting make people do stupid things

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I HAVE FREE REIGN TO PIG HUNT ON ALOT OF LAND AROUND ME(several hundred acres)!!! In the offseason I can go whenever, and during deer season I ask as I do not want to interfere with people's deer hunting.

And most of these people I know well and we are a close knit group around us. Hogs cause damage and these people want them killed like I do
                        Last edited by gingib; 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
                          I Agree! There are hogs all over a lot of Corps property and a lot of those permits are free[emoji106]
                          This may be a stupid question, but how do you find Corps property that is legal to hunt on?

Back home, a lot of the woods surrounding ours is either public or forest crop, obviously no military bases.

Comment

Good thread. I agree with a lot that has been mentioned!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              This may be a stupid question, but how do you find Corps property that is legal to hunt on?

Back home, a lot of the woods surrounding ours is either public or forest crop, obviously no military bases.
                              This article is a little outdated, but most of the info is the same.

Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine, the Outdoor Magazine of Texas: Editorial Information.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Also there was a thread started about protecting our Texas Public Hunting Lands:

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Since it started a group of us have gathered info and one even got us a Web page set up:

Comment

Working...
                                X