How about some fall food plot pics and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about some fall food plot pics and such

Been real dry around my place, no rain since early October. I planted purple top turnips, Daikon radish, Elbon rye, clover and forage oats. The radishes and turnips are huge, but the rest of the seed has laid dormant because of the drought. Hoping for rain this week.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM.

The field with the brush pile in it is near a creek and an adjoining pasture. The pasture is right at 1/4 mile wide. In the evenings you can sit at one end of the food plot and watch the does walk single file across the 1/4 mile pasture to get to the turnips. That pasture has my cattle in so there is no trees or cover, I was amazed the first time I seen it. I would not think they would cross open ground like that.

Comment

You must have had more rain than me. Mine came up and died. Wait til you get a freeze the turnips will turn sweet and the deer will go nuts over them.

Comment

My plot came in real good this year. Rain came just in time.

Deer won't even touch the corn but they'll sit in this field all day. More of it to the left of this pic.
        Attached Files

Comment

Plot in Collin is going great, peas, wheat, oats, clover, chicory, and brassicas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            You must have had more rain than me. Mine came up and died. Wait til you get a freeze the turnips will turn sweet and the deer will go nuts over them.
            Well the turnip and radish tops are starting to turn yellow as you can see in the pics. I hope a little moisture will help germinate the rye and oats.

Comment

I planted wheat and daikon radish with some Austrian winter peas thrown in. My plots look like a golf course. Deer are keeping them mowed !
              Attached Files

Comment

Boy they have mowed that down Drycreek. I was worried you quit farming.

Comment

It’s been really dry around my house, too. I worked a little harder than usual this year on plot preparation & fertilizing, thank goodness. I have 17 acres between 3 plots at the house that are looking good, for now. Getting a good rain tonight, so they should be good for the duration.

The deer are just now starting to hit them decently because there are still dry acorns in the woods. This rain and the cold snap later this week should help me out. I’ve got a couple big boys that should be getting hungry soon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Other side of that plot where i actually have a tree to climb....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Turner Seed Fall Mix in a first year plot. It got in the ground a couple weeks later than I wanted but is coming up good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6492.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	24522299

Name:	IMG_6488.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	24522300

Name:	IMG_6489.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	24522301

Comment

Razrbk89 your plot looks good, much better than mine.

Comment

I don't have any pics of my creek bottom plot at Mt. Enterprise, but the wheat in the exclusion cage is about a foot tall, so looks can be decieving as far as how much forage has actually been available. This pic is in Trinity Co. where I planted GRO Mass Builder. I've not had over 2.5 to 3 inches of rain on this since I planted, but I got some Sunday, although I don't know how much. There's a feeder at the end of the plot, but as Houston Hunter said, the deer stay in the plot mostly and don't eat that much corn.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            Razrbk89 your plot looks good, much better than mine.
                            Thanks! Mostly luck since it’s been dry. I did spend extra time getting the top smooth before planting and covered it quickly. Turkeys can pick up a lot of seed if it’s not covered.

The deer haven’t been hitting them yet besides maybe nibbling some clover. I expect that to change in the next week or two, and I’m betting I’ll have a lot of new bucks on camera. Good plots can really draw the deer in from a distance!

Comment

looks like my turnip plot last year....deer or hogs wont touch it. never again

Comment

Working...
                              X