Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
    Public Service Announcement: I took a drive out to the refuge a little while ago. The only access to the refuge is from FM106. Buena Vista Road is still under construction and from the looks of it, will not be ready for a few months. Those staying in Port Isabel and Laguna Vista can get there by heading to Bayview on FM510, taking a right on Ted Hunt Rd., and then taking a right on FM106.

P.S. I saw some nilgai off 510, not near the refuge though.
    Appreciate that info compadre! That's not to bad out of the way. Buena Vista Road was sure getting rough, glad they are fixing it. Do you know if they have done any repairs on the stretch leading right into the refuge? That road sure will test out a set of shocks.

Comment

No luck on the road in. It's gonna get worse the more rain we get.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
        No luck on the road in. It's gonna get worse the more rain we get.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Yes I agree. Early this year, I noticed they actually had the road going into the refugee repaired (band aid) and it was smooth heading to the Hunter Check station/Visitor center, HOWEVER, towards the end of the summer, the condition of the road became worse.

The road inside the refugee that is 7 miles long north and south, County Road, was in excellent shape. No pot holes and solid.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
          Looking forward to your report!
          Its up, JackRyan. Around the Campfire.

Comment

My Brother and I got drawn again, going out for the first archery hunt 11/17-11/22. Ready to go and scout and get a shot on a good buck or nilgai. After last year i been waiting for this hunt getting my bow tuned in im excited to get a LA buck

Comment

Originally posted by DannyGarcia View Post
              My Brother and I got drawn again, going out for the first archery hunt 11/17-11/22. Ready to go and scout and get a shot on a good buck or nilgai. After last year i been waiting for this hunt getting my bow tuned in im excited to get a LA buck
              Awesome! I'm impressed by the number of hunters that hunted last year that are drawn again this year! I'd expect alot more success and animals to hit the chalkboard this time! If I recall correctly, last year on the (Dec 1-6) 2nd hunt there were 17 successful hunters of a possible 252 total hunters...

I'm already going to say it...

GBludau is making the chalk board again this year! With a Nilgai! Place your bets!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                Awesome! I'm impressed by the number of hunters that hunted last year that are drawn again this year! I'd expect alot more success and animals to hit the chalkboard this time! If I recall correctly, last year on the (Dec 1-6) 2nd hunt there were 17 successful hunters of a possible 252 total hunters...

I'm already going to say it...

GBludau is making the chalk board again this year! With a Nilgai! Place your bets!

Best of luck man, I hope you pull it off!
                As a beginner I really can't imagine getting within bow range on a Nilgai. Their eye sight is unbelievable.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just drew the late archery hunt 12/1-12/5

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                    Best of luck man, I hope you pull it off!
                    As a beginner I really can't imagine getting within bow range on a Nilgai. Their eye sight is unbelievable.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
                    I know what you mean. It would be extremely difficult to spot and stalk a nilgai within bow range. Gotta be still and in the right place at the right time! I've actually been practicing up out to 100yards....I feel pretty confident!

Comment

Won the archery only hunt on Nilgai Antelope, Dec 01, 2017 – Dec 05, 2017.

I know it's going to be a hard hunt, I can only hunt until the 3rd, then I have to head to Chap for the archery deer hunt.

Do most of you guys hunt out there all day?
                      Can you just camp at the place?

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post

I know it's going to be a hard hunt, I can only hunt until the 3rd, then I have to head to Chap for the archery deer hunt.

This will be my first year but my Trad buddy and his brother hunted last year and stayed out all day, said there was good level of activity all day.

Campground is on the North side of LANWR, Adolph Thomae Jr. Park. The website says no reservations but they'll take them, I've got a tent site already reserved. I'll be in an old blue '88 Land Cruiser. I've seen a few guys talking campground on here. If anyone's out there feel free to swing by

Comment

I've only had two bow shots at nilgai at LA in the last 5 or so years. Both times while sitting in a tripod. Flew one over the back and last year stuck one cow good, but too high and never found her. Very little blood trail. I've seen one drop dead about 100 yards from me one time with the arrow in the middle of the torso and had to track down the hunters who were looking for her about 500-600 yards away. Tough critters.

Comment

Plan on hunting all day. Nilgai move at all times of the day. I hunted out there last year and saw the most movement around 10am. I'm hunting there again this year and planning on sticking one. I had a few within 100 yards but my bow wasn't sighted that far. I feel pretty confident up to 100 yards now so I'm hoping to get a shot at one. Good luck out there!

Comment

I'll be there the first archery hunt. We plan to camp out at the County park. I also plan to stay all day every day.

Stocked up on Permethrin and plenty of Thermacell! Will be using a crossbow! I'm feeling real confident with my shooting ability! I'm really hoping for anything I can stick an arrow in but especially hoping for a decent buck or a nilgai. I don't care if it's a bull or cow but I want some of that meat!

Comment

Welllllll gentleman.... I fell from a ladder last Friday and broke my humerus. Looks like I'm not gonna make it. Keeping my hopes up though

Comment

Working...
                                X