Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 volt trolling motor wiring diagram

Fellas,

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 80 lbs thrust, 24 volt trolling motor. Does anyone have a diagram of how I should set up the wiring on the batteries?

Also, what is the difference between a 12/24 volt and a 24 volt. I have been looking through the internet, and cant find what I need. If anyone has a diagram of what it looks like, that would be great. Also, do I need a 3-pronged plug or a 4-pronged plug to plug in my trolling motor to?

Thanks for the help. Hope I dont sound too much like a rookie. LOL!

I didn't dig tooo deep but here is a quick google.

http://www.imarksweb.net/book/minn+k...owners+manual/

more
    MinnKota Service Manual
    Last edited by Philip-TX; 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Very simple you will need a jumper wire to go on the positive (+) side of one battery to the (-) on the other battery. Then hook up the moto wires red to the open positive side of the one battery and the black wire to the open negative on the open battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Rather_B_Fishin View Post
        Very simple you will need a jumper wire to go on the positive (+) side of one battery to the (-) on the other battery. Then hook up the moto wires red to the open positive side of the one battery and the black wire to the open negative on the open battery.
        ^^^^ this and also get a 3 prong twist lock plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Rather_B_Fishin View Post
          do not do this if you have a 12/24v switch on your foot control. If you have the switch on the foot control then you should have four cables to go back to the batteries. If this is the case then just hook black to neg and red/orange to positive.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. How would I tell if my foot control is a 12/24 volt or just a 24 volt?

Also, does anyone have any diagram, to show me? I am just a visual learner. LOL! Not too smart, so I have to see it on paper. LOL!

Thanks again.

Comment

Also, there is some wires on it that look like they plug into a Sonar or GPS. It has a plug, that looks just like the ones that plug into my Lowrance unit.

Can anyone tell me what this plug is for? Thanks.

Comment

On my 36/24 volt 101 minn Kota Fourtrex there was only 2 wires going back to the batterys but I used the old wires that was already there. When I changed battery just had to remove swap jumper wires and the 2 batt wires.

Comment

You want to make absolutely sure that your wiring is rated for at least 60amps and install a 60amp breaker between the batteries and the motor.

Some older boats were wired with 12ga for trolling motors. That's only good for about 40amps. That 80lb motor will draw around 56amps at full power and roast 12ga wire!

Use 8ga marine wire and install the breaker. The three prong twist plug by marinco is the way to go for plugs. You only wire two prongs but the third helps it lock securely in place.

Rigging two 12V batteries in series is how you get the 24V. They need to both be deep cycle batteries that are the same age. Don't mix battery types and batteries of different age in series circuits.

Comment

try this forum

Comment

Manuals and diagrams

http://www.fish307.com/minnkotatroll...uals-2003.aspx

Comment

Thanks again. Keep em coming. Can never have too much knowledge?

Any more info from the green screen brothers.

Comment

Don't hook a big motor like that up to inadequate batteries.

The rating you need to worry about the most is the RC (reserve capacity) rating. Those are typically tested at 25amp or 23amp draw. You want that number to be close to or over 200. Ask the seller if it was tested at 25 or 23 amps. The RC is the minutes of run time you get at the rated test amps.

Amp Hours is a Low current test at 1 - 5 amps. It doesn't really help you sizing a battery for a high amp draw trolling motor.

Comment

Ok, so what size battery should I go with, when putting these two together? Also, I have found a diagram, but any others would still be helpful.

Comment

Since a 80# MinnKota can use up to 56 amps, if the distance from batteries to troller is very far 6 guage wire is a better choice. You can get 6 guage marine duplex on Ebay priced reasonably. If you run a troller hard like we do the twistlock troller plugs can't handle it and burn up. The Anderson quick connectors are cheaper and will last 10X as long.

Comment

Working...
                              X