Show off your leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thorntoncw View Post
    All this leatherwork makes me want to pick up a new hobby! What would you guys recommend for beginners? Start kit? Tools? Projects?
    This is the starter set I began with. It's got a few projects included. Belt, cell phone case, checkbook cover, wallet, etc.

This is what I do most of my work with. I use 8-9 oz and also 4-5 oz. It's relatively inexpensive and on sale now. It's difficult to get good stamp impressions on leather that's too thin. 4-5oz is really on the thin side of carving leather. I prefer 8-9 or 9-10 for my carving/tooling leather.

I'm a fan of the Sheridan style carving but I'm not creative enough yet to draw up my own designs. So, patterns for things I make myself are non-existent.

After you get started, you'll find out what you like the best. Stamp work (basket weave and geometrical stamps) look very good as well and take just as much time if not more than carving.

All in all, you can get started for less than $100 for the kit and make a few projects. They also sell other project kits. Belts, iPad cases, credit card holders, etc.

And a lot of youtube videos. Tandy has some good instructional videos. This is the first one...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynofyY2fL4"]‪Tandy Leather Factory - Basic Leather Carving w/ George Hurst‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Good to be back I've Ben on vacation for two weeks with no phone reception. Man the new stuffs looking good tubby.

Comment

Thanks Tubby! I'm going to order the started kit now.

Comment

All this leatherwork makes me want to pick up a new hobby! What would you guys recommend for beginners? Start kit? Tools? Projects?
          I would start with going to Tandy or looking them up online to get started and tubby is right YouTube is the way to go to learn things. Good luck show off your work when you do some.

Comment

How much leather would I need to start out with? 14sqft enough?

Comment

Originally posted by BOWMAN1836 View Post
              Good to be back I've Ben on vacation for two weeks with no phone reception. Man the new stuffs looking good tubby.
              Welcome back! I hope you were vacationing someplace cool!! (as in NOT HOT!!!)

I wonder who could use this....

Comment

How much leather would I need to start out with? 14sqft enough?
                I think that's plenty to start out with. It'll give you enough to have some practice pieces and also make a few projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post

Sweet i know i can. Man that turned out nice thanks. Can't wait to get it now . Yea i was I'n Sw la for two weeks that's where i was raised and took my kids there for summer break. They had a blast we camped out at the Sabine where i use to A's a kid and they rode there 4 wheelers till they broke them lol. Had a blast. But it was Hottt

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post

I know it has my initials on it man that looks awesome can't wait to get it. We were I'n Sw La for two weeks that is where i was raised. I took my kids for my summer visitation period camping on the Sabine where i use to go A's a kid it was great and the kids got to ride there 4 wheelers till they broke them lol my oldest broke her rear shock and my middle blew her carb up so i spent a day fixing those. They had so much fun they didn't want to leave. It was very hot though but worth it. Here's my crew.
                    Attached Files

Comment

nice work

Comment

Sorry for the double still having tech diffaculties lol

Comment

Originally posted by BOWMAN1836 View Post
                          I know it has my initials on it man that looks awesome can't wait to get it. We were I'n Sw La for two weeks that is where i was raised. I took my kids for my summer visitation period camping on the Sabine where i use to go A's a kid it was great and the kids got to ride there 4 wheelers till they broke them lol my oldest broke her rear shock and my middle blew her carb up so i spent a day fixing those. They had so much fun they didn't want to leave. It was very hot though but worth it. Here's my crew.
                          Hope you enjoy it! Of course, it's got some minor imperfections. I'm my worst critic...

It's good to get away whether you go someplace that's just as hot or not.

Good looking crew!

Comment

nice work, looks great

Comment

My latest project.

My wife is attending a baby shower and wanted to do something different. These friends are ranchers so she had me put together a cowboy tool kit.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312063835.597201.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24005725

Gotta have the chinks, spurs, rope and words of wisdom from the man himself.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312064005.551869.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	24005726Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312064048.501411.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	24005727

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312064111.296570.jpg