No announcement yet.

New to hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion, the only fun way to hunt a hog is with dogs. I know that many think that it is total chaos but if done with good dogs and hunters that know what they are doing, it is actually pretty orderly. One, you need broke dogs that are trained to find and bay up the hogs and then lead the catch dogs into the bay. Once the hogs are caught, you move in and catch the hog/hogs by the hind legs and then stab them in the heart with a long bladed knife by entering behind the front leg. The reason for using the knife is so that you do not risk injury from a bullet as dogs are going to be all over the hog.
    While sitting over bait can be productive, it is also extremely boring.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Anything 6 volt
      Anything with WGI written on it
      I have had really good luck with my Sunslinger 6v. going on three years now and still throwing corn 20ft from the feeder. I have not had to change the battery either in the last three years.

I am building a second feeder for hogs this year that is a winch up. hopefully it will do the trick.

Comment

How does an elevated stand (15-20 feet) work for the the hogs not winding you?
        It seems like most are setting up ground level.
        Thanks

Comment

You don’t need a sidearm or someone backing you up like moose or Africa. Killed a bunch- tied a bunch up hver dogs. My wife has killed about 2 dozen off the ground with her bow. She usually finds them before I go pick her up. Best advice I can give. Use a timed feeder and shoot them hard quartered away with a bow

Comment

Working...
          X