muleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gohunt.com

The best collection of resources including draw odds, units, preference points, bonus points, success rates, etc for all the western states. They have podcasts as well that give more insight how to use the site. For instance, you can't just look at the odds for unit. You might end up with a unit thats all private lands, etc. You can also pay to join Insider, which I have not done yet as I don't plan to hunt out west this year. Anyway, something to look at if you're venturing outside of Texas.

J

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
      Gohunt.com

The best collection of resources including draw odds, units, preference points, bonus points, success rates, etc for all the western states. They have podcasts as well that give more insight how to use the site. For instance, you can't just look at the odds for unit. You might end up with a unit thats all private lands, etc. You can also pay to join Insider, which I have not done yet as I don't plan to hunt out west this year. Anyway, something to look at if you're venturing outside of Texas.

J
      The problem with that site and others like eastmens is everybody is reading them and it makes the draw odds harder in the more desirable units.

Comment

I would suggest Idaho archery over the counter tags. Tons of public land. I killed a doe second day, should have waited, i saw multiple decent bucks in bow range. I was elk hunting and decided to grab a mule deer tag. These were mountain muleys and were not monsters, but it was public land DIY and it was a blast.

Comment

I drew Sierra Diablo about 5 years ago. Had a great time, but only was allowed to hunt 1300 acres. Everyone killed a deer except me. Not that I didn't see any, I just didn't see one I wanted. I've already got 3 on the wall and was waiting for something exceptional. I did see bighorn sheep though. That was definitely a plus. I'm looking at maybe trying again this next year and maybe New Mexico.

Comment

Gohunt.com

J
            Of course. It goes without saying that you have to research each state and it's units for BLM areas vs private land owner.

Comment

2013 killed a muley buck scoring 146 at Matador WMA in Texas! Haven't been drawn again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                The problem with that site and others like eastmens is everybody is reading them and it makes the draw odds harder in the more desirable units.
                Oh I know... it makes the site completely useless

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                  Do you have to be drawn for Lake Meredith? I didn't think you did
                  It's not a draw. Just put on your orange and go.

Comment

Oh I know... it makes the site completely useless
                    That's not what I was saying. Just saying if a unit looks good on there or they talk up a unit everybody is reading it so you can expect the odds to go down the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      That's not what I was saying. Just saying if a unit looks good on there or they talk up a unit everybody is reading it so you can expect the odds to go down the next year.
                      That's this era of social networking. It happens on this site, AT, and every other site. The information they have isn't anything magic. You can go to all these states individual sites or call their wildlife departments for the same info. Odds won't change THAT much. Success rates won't change at all. There will be ups and downs with all the units with drawing success.
                      Use the tools that are available to you, learn how to use them to your advantage. 99% of hunters are lazy and won't do the work before or during the hunt, especially out west. Know how to put in to multiple states and multiple units and put the odds in your favor. Then bust your tail scouting and on the hunt. Very few people do this.

Comment

The second part of your post is what I was talking about. All the information is already out there for those of us that know where to look. But when they put a lot of it in one spot like on go hunt it becomes easy. Therefore the people that were to lazy to look into the info before will start putting in.
                        I dread when something I was planning on putting in for shows up in a magazine because the odds of getting drawn usually go way down after for a while at least.

Also to the op. Like others said lake Meredith is the only public place in Texas without drawing. Other options are to put in for tpwd draw hunts and hope for the best. But if you want to be able to go consistently you'll have to look into other states.

Comment

I definitely get what you're saying. My thought process is regardless if the information is in one place or not, people are still required to do a lot of leg work. Most people still wont do it. One top of that, to get the really good stuff in that site, you need to join/PAY for the information. That weeds out a heck of a lot of folks. Knowing how to read a map will weed out a bunch more. Draw odds are not changed much by sites like this. The biggest factor to changing draw odds are government regulations and changing of those regulations as it applies to preference or bonus points, in state vs out of state hunters, amount of tags issued for the unit, etc. Per usual, the Gov't will screw you much faster.

J

Comment

Working...
                          X