Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devin View Post
    I think something in the neighborhood of 30 ft-lbs is much more realistic.... especially for Texas sized WT's.
    That's just cause you shoot those baby deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Does anyone know of a person that has actually had their bow checked for draw weight? Just curious.
      I'd like to know that as well. Don't know I've ever heard of anyone being checked. Are Warden's even currently equipped with a means of checking this?

I sent an email to TPWD asking for more info on the history of the 40# requirement and how it was selected. I'll post if I get anything back.

That's just cause you shoot those baby deer!
      Wrong! I don't shoot ANY deer.

And, watch it, Deputy!
      Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Devin i think that is realistic whith that criteria that would get our youth hunting deer instead of video games cell phonest etc what is Ted Nugents favorite quote???

Comment

I say do away with minumium all together! Let the hunter decide. There is no min. for rifles (except rimfire) even though there are many .17 - .22 calibers out there that have no business in a deer blind. IMOP.

Comment

Sorry, Devin, I keep forgettin' that Blaine fills the freezer for you!

Comment

I have no problem with 35# draw. But it's not just about someone being able to draw the weight but being mature enough to make that shot. I believe in teaching my children and grandkids that some things have to be earned and if they are not mature enough or strong enough to pull a bow and make a ethical shot, they won't take it. Is it disappointing for them yes, but that is part of growing up and being responsible. I also wouldn't let a child who can barely draw the legal draw weight and hunt till he or she can repeatedly draw the bow and shoot consistently with it.

Comment

What was wrong with the old rule "capable of shooting a hunting tipped arrow 135 yards" , how in the world did that ever get changed ????.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  Does anyone know of a person that has actually had their bow checked for draw weight? Just curious.
                  That's too much trouble. It's easier for game wardens to just browse the hunting magazines looking for perps!

Comment

im heading to the woods sorry to get this going im going on a few day survival hunt with recurves ill be hunting hogs im getting dropped off at the nagelina national forest ill be back sunday sometime thansk for every involved

Comment

Cotton I agree totally. I just think it is not very feasible logistically.

Comment

Only 2 ex's neither draw pull 40# both are about 65 now.

Here is Red Dots red deer cow taken with a 33# Parker Challenger bow and she got a clean pass thru too.

Tink

Comment

LOL @ 135yard test...............Thumper....where do you propose a warden does the test? At what angle are you suppose to shoot? How many shots do you get? Into the wind or down wind?

Comment

Originally posted by soccert View Post
                            I have no problem with 35# draw. But it's not just about someone being able to draw the weight but being mature enough to make that shot. I believe in teaching my children and grandkids that some things have to be earned and if they are not mature enough or strong enough to pull a bow and make a ethical shot, they won't take it. Is it disappointing for them yes, but that is part of growing up and being responsible. I also wouldn't let a child who can barely draw the legal draw weight and hunt till he or she can repeatedly draw the bow and shoot consistently with it.
                            So you think there should be an age limit on hunting! How old should a kid be before they can hunt?

I used my own judgment with Matt. The law said he could hunt on his own at 12 but I didn't let him until he was 13. I'm guessing parents still use commonsense?

Comment

Yes, it is done and many GWs carry scales with them.

Howie~I applauded you for getting your daughter involved in bowhunting! Congrats to her on the hogs that she has taken!

My position is not a popular one on this subject. I am opposed to lowering the minimum draw weight. I realize my limitations with my equipment and I know that there are African game animals and animals such as nilgai that I will not be able to hunt because I cannot pull an acceptible or legal limit to do so. If I am lucky enough to go to Africa, I will hunt the animals that I am allowed to kill with the draw weight that I can pull. In addition, there are many times that I have been unable to take a big, mature buck, because of lease rules, etc. I believe that we owe it to our children to get them involved in the sport, but also teach them the patience and importance of the rules and regulations that are in effect. I believe in teaching my children the whole concept of hunting and conservation. Neither of my children can pull 40#s, but it does not keep them from hunting with me. When Hunter is strong enough to pull 40#s, she will be mature enough and experienced enough to make an ethical shot or wait for the opportunity to do so. With that being said, if the minimum draw weight is lowered then I believe that we should make IBEP mandatory. JMHO!

Comment

Cotton, up north in PA, you are not allowed to hunt until 12yo. I was flabbergasted when I learned there was no min age in Tx. But then again, I was flabbergasted when I saw the price you pay to hunt in Texas, then again, I was flabbergasted when I saw the RACKS in Texas. GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                                X