How Much Is Enough / Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Is Enough / Too Much?

Currently shooting a Bear Grizzly 45# @ 28". I'm shooting CE Heritage 150's with 165g Zwickey 2-blade heads. This set-up shoots great for me on targets. I haven't killed any big game with it yet as I haven't had the opportunity. Is it worth going up to 200 - 210g heads? If I had any experience with this set-up on deer, I would at least have a data point - I'm just a big fan of heavy. I also plan on taking this set-up to Colorado again this fall for elk.

Just curious on feedback from real world experience.

Thanks,
    skooter

Skooter 165 - 200 =35 grain difference which imo won't make much difference in the long run. I would suggest finding a broadhead that you like and tuning for that head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't speak for elk, but my GT 400's full length with a 135 grain Zwickey blew right through that aoudad last weekend at Big Oak. My bow is a tad heavier, 49@29 though. I'm sure some folks more knowledgeable than me will chime in but you're definitely good for deer sized critters.

Comment

IF, your arrows are tuned to the bow, 165 grain is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
          IF, your arrows are tuned to the bow, 165 grain is plenty.

That's what I was thinking. But I don't know either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the total arrow weight? That is the number you need to look at. For hunting, I like at least 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight (gpp). For light weight bows, maybe even a little more. If you are over 10gpp, and your arrow is well tuned, and you can put that arrow in the correct spot on an animal, it will work just fine for most everything we can hunt around here!

Also, if your current arrow is well tuned, you cannot add a whole lot of tip weight without having to also adjust shaft length to make everything right again.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              What is the total arrow weight? That is the number you need to look at. For hunting, I like at least 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight (gpp). For light weight bows, maybe even a little more. If you are over 10gpp, and your arrow is well tuned, and you can put that arrow in the correct spot on an animal, it will work just fine for most everything we can hunt around here!

Also, if your current arrow is well tuned, you cannot add a whole lot of tip weight without having to also adjust shaft length to make everything right again.

Bisch
              With those arrows and that draw weight, he is easily more than 10gpp. Probably 11gpp or a touch higher depending if he kept them full length or cut them to 29"

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Per my handy dandy new scale, I'm 472.3gn.

Comment

I weighed the broad head, and it was almost 150gn on the button.

Comment

I'm going to piggyback on this thread if that's ok, I'm new to traditional, switched over from a compound about three months ago. I'm definitely more comfortable and a lot more accurate. But what I'm wondering is, I'm shooting a Bear Kodiak Magnum 40 lb at 28-29 inch draw length, when I bought the bow the guy at Cabela's told me 160 grain Zwickeys were too heavy, is that true? I like the idea of a heavier punch, especially against hog and larger bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by texasguy83 View Post
                      I'm going to piggyback on this thread if that's ok, I'm new to traditional, switched over from a compound about three months ago. I'm definitely more comfortable and a lot more accurate. But what I'm wondering is, I'm shooting a Bear Kodiak Magnum 40 lb at 28-29 inch draw length, when I bought the bow the guy at Cabela's told me 160 grain Zwickeys were too heavy, is that true? I like the idea of a heavier punch, especially against hog and larger bucks.
                      The broadhead is only to heavy if you can't cut your arrows down anymore to accommodate it's weight. Even then You can buy new arrows with a stiffer spine and tune them for that front weight. I like to tinker with the 3 Rivers dynamic spine calculator. Just don't cut em to the exact length the calculator says. That calculator will get you close, your own form will dictate the fine tuning. There are a lot of things you can do to make it work. Worst case your arrows are too weak. Stiffer spined arrows tend to be a heavier grain per inch so really, like Bisch said, total arrow weight is what your looking for. Set a goal for arrow weight and tune to get there. Again the dynamic spine calculator is a great start for doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by texasguy83 View Post
                        Most of the guys at Cabelas don't know anything about trad setups! A 160gr point/broadhead is not too heavy! Neither is a 175gr, or 200gr, or even heavier! There really is no such thing as too heavy as long as you whole arrow is made right thru tuning. A 40# draw weight is pretty light (a great weight to learn on; you did right by starting there), so if you get too carried away with total arrow weight it will at some point get hard to aim because it will drop like a rock. With trad bows, heavier is usually better for hunting, as long as it is well tuned, and you can aim it well. I would strive for a total arrow weight around 450gr or so. That is 11 grains per pound of draw weight, and would very well for hunting deer sized game.

Bisch

Comment

What Bisch said, twice!

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, I figured that guys in a chain store weren't the best source of information, I'll check out the 3 Rivers calculator and aim for a heavier arrow, between practicing more and hitting the gym heavier recently I hope to jump up to a 50# Bear Super Grizzly or Bear Supermag 48, not sure which is a better bow, going to try them both out and see.

Comment

That 48" bow might give you fits? Shorter bows create more finger pinch (esp if you have a longer draw length) and are a bit harder to control for MOST folks. They are much easier for shorter draw lengths. You won't know for sure until you try one out though.

And btw, a 10# jump at one time is a BIG jump!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X