Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NMHUNTER99 View Post
    What does a pumper do in the oilfield?
    they report how much oil/water the wells (they get this info by strapping tanks or electronically at the tank battery) have made and do very basic maintenance work on wells.

Comment

Looking at going into an entry level position in nm what does it normally pay?

Comment

Here in Artesia? It is going to depend on the company you hire on with.

Comment

Looking at cimarex they're hiring for entry level pumper

Comment

Been told pumpers are a pretty much secure job being you always need them. Just looking to get a little more info on the job

Comment

Friend of mine said it was the greatest job in the oilfield, captains pay with private responsibilities. My view was quite a bit different, very monotonous to the point of being torture, but don't let anyone mislead you, your responsible for millions of dollars worth of product and equipment, to accurately record daily production and well test, so that the revenue and allowables can be reported to govt. regulatory people, royalty owners and the bean counters that run the numbers to decide if you get to stay or not. That's a broad overview of a pumpers responsibilities and all that has to be done within guidelines set by OSHA, EPA, RRC, the board of directors, the bean counters, the engineers and geologist, and last but not least the parade of jackasses jockeying for supervisor positions on their way up the corporate ladder. Your welcome for that lovely mental image in the land of milk and honey where the unicorns frolic among the rainbows. Truthfully it is what you make of it, good pay, good hours, good benefits. I did it for 30 yrs, got out as soon as I met retirement requirements, it makes the career change much smoother. If you'll go into it with realization of just how much equip. and product you're responsible for and not just another guy on the payroll you'll do well. Good luck in your career.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                Friend of mine said it was the greatest job in the oilfield, captains pay with private responsibilities. My view was quite a bit different, very monotonous to the point of being torture, but don't let anyone mislead you, your responsible for millions of dollars worth of product and equipment, to accurately record daily production and well test, so that the revenue and allowables can be reported to govt. regulatory people, royalty owners and the bean counters that run the numbers to decide if you get to stay or not. That's a broad overview of a pumpers responsibilities and all that has to be done within guidelines set by OSHA, EPA, RRC, the board of directors, the bean counters, the engineers and geologist, and last but not least the parade of jackasses jockeying for supervisor positions on their way up the corporate ladder. Your welcome for that lovely mental image in the land of milk and honey where the unicorns frolic among the rainbows. Truthfully it is what you make of it, good pay, good hours, good benefits. I did it for 30 yrs, got out as soon as I met retirement requirements, it makes the career change much smoother. If you'll go into it with realization of just how much equip. and product you're responsible for and not just another guy on the payroll you'll do well. Good luck in your career.

That seems to pretty much sum it up. Seems like something I could handle doing for a while not many jobs around where I'm located

Comment

Been told pumpers are a pretty much secure job being you always need them. Just looking to get a little more info on the job
                  Job description will depend on the company and what kind of wells. When I was a pumper (25 years ago), I worked for a mom and pop and we had different wells - free flowing gas wells, pumping oil wells, gas-lift wells and disposal wells...around 20 wells for me to produce.

I kept the leases mowed, monthly compressor maintenance, daily well production reports, scheduled oil and water hauls, winterizing, equipment repairs, etc. Some companies have contractors do much of that work. And maybe today's equipment requires less attention.

The job is somewhat secure...at least until the wells are no longer commercially productive or another company buys the wells and has their own pumpers.

Not trying to scare you, just giving you the benefit of my experience. I loved the oil patch.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                    Yep, my son has a service company out west. His prices have always been on the lower side, to be more competative. He has had to cut those prices by 40% since December to keep in good graces.
                    I just don't see how in the world anyone could or would cut rate by 40%!!

That would leave zero margins and put 90% of companies in the red......

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                      I just don't see how in the world anyone could or would cut rate by 40%!!

That would leave zero margins and put 90% of companies in the red......
                      He has a solid business and is doing everything he can to keep his guys working. Still leaves him a small profit but I guess he must be in the other 10%. I don't know - I don't get in his business.

Comment

Depends what company you work for. Many companies hire pumpers through a contract company....and only the top hand are employed by the oil company directly.

I'd say $18-$22 starting out with a little bump in pay once you prove that you are committed to your job and not just looking for a pay check. (90 days)

Many companies provide everything you need for the job. Truck. Tools. Phone. Fuel card. Computer. Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                          He has a solid business and is doing everything he can to keep his guys working. Still leaves him a small profit but I guess he must be in the other 10%. I don't know - I don't get in his business.

Is he in the rental business?

Comment

The slow down has definitely hit us now.. We are SLOW.. Probably gonna have to let a few guys go pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                              Is he in the rental business?
                              Rents a little but more of his work is service related.

Comment

40% cut on prices is crazy. I've had some friends who got asked to cut prices by 20%, they are in the rental side. The company just asked for a flat 20% cut on everything that was on location, all the way down to portapotties.

As for my company, I'd cut prices some depending on which company asked, but not 40%

Comment

Working...
                                X