NRA asks ATF to review bumpstocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
    That's interesting. Who do you sell them to, to turn that profit?
    Run an add on here:

Comment

Rights vs Capabilities

I can't understand why I still haven't heard someone say, "Thank God he used a gun." I say this every time something like this happens. As several here have stated, he could have done much more damage with his plane and explosives. Don't people see that once they take away the means through restricting firearms (although with the money he had illegality wouldn't actually have been an obstacle for him) these mass murderers will turn to other more lethal means?

As for the question, "When has an e-mail killed someone?" hundreds if not thousands of people (even some of the mass murderers mentioned on this and other threads) have used it to help them commit various murderous atrocities. Various others have used it to find information about drugs that have resulted in fatalities as well. In addition, many of the whackos who've committed these slayings were inspired/warped by violent TV, music and Video Games. If you believe we should ban bump stocks, you have to also believe we should ban these and censor information on the internet.

Finally, should people be allowed to buy a tank? Yes, they should. They should also be allowed to buy bombers and carriers in the event they need to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. Of course most of us cannot afford to do so but I assure you that for those who can afford to, again legality is not an obstacle for them.

Comment

Yes, buying a tank should be 1000% legal if it's not already. Not sure what you'd do with it other than run over cars. Good luck buying the munitions. The contractors who make those will not sell to anyone but the Gubmint.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
          Before you take the argument to F-22's, tomahawk missiles, and nukes...there is some point where they are no longer arms. I don't know what that point is, and I don't feel like wasting the brain energy to try to figure it out right now.
          The tesla guy is becoming a lil Kim Jung as he's constantly testing space rockets.
          If I hit the $700 million power ball should I be able to purchase a $40million helicopter loaded with 50 cal gunners?

And you wrote "where they are no longer arms...." and that is exactly what we're facing now.
          The govt is saying a suppressor (and soon coming) bumpstocks are not "arms" and can be banned outside of the 2nd.
          It's a constant power grab rights reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
            Yes, buying a tank should be 1000% legal if it's not already. Not sure what you'd do with it other than run over cars. Good luck buying the munitions. The contractors who make those will not sell to anyone but the Gubmint.
            Again, if I have $700 million in the bank (either hiring the powerball or getting a five year extension on my NBA contract) why wouldn't a contractor sell me $20million worth of munitions?
            They sell them to north Korea and Iran all day as it is.

Comment

Good grief.
              If this discussion had not been conceived - as a figure of speech - by such a tragic event, it would be almost laughable. But it's not amusing and it never will be. 58 people dead and one mothereffer that don't count. All somebody's son or daughter or father or mother or brother or sister or a close or distant relative or a dear friend. Forever dead.
              Several hundred more injured. I don't know about y'all, but I personally know some people that got shot and the few of those that are still alive are just barely. I'll mention that I am a veteran, US Army. November, 1965 - November 1971. Some serious **** going on in SE Asia, do the arithmetic before challenging my experience in such matters.
              I passed down all my guns to my son after I had killed my first deer with a bow, which was in 2005, I think. I've owned more guns than most people have owned shoes, no clue as to just how many. I shot quail and I shot pheasants and I shot waterfowl and I shot doves and I shot clay targets (and a few deer) with 1100's, Browning A5's and a couple Beretta's and numerous O/U's of several makes and 870's and Model 12's (pre-64's, I'm a purist) and yessir, a few times I killed 5 on a covey rise or scratched down 3 when the ducks or geese came in just right. So I can appreciate the need and desire for a repeating firearm. Pistols? Not many, a couple dozen or so, mostly wheel guns 'cause I can't hit the ground with any **** pistol. There ain't enough fingers and toes belonging to the last dozen or so posters to count the rifles I've owned - did a lot of trading, always seeking the one that had no misses installed by the factory. I owned one Model 742 in .308 and 3 different .22 caliber semi-autos. Several lever actions, both Winchester and Marlins. All the rest were bolt guns except one. A little Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 caliber, and right behind it, a Sako mannlicher stocked .243, was my favorite.
              If I missed any deer more than twice and they were still a possible, I can't recall exactly when it might have been.
              I love classic weapons, real and good wood and fine checkering and I think it was Warren Page that said that only accurate rifles are interesting.
              To digress briefly, I've still kept one home defense weapon, (although I live in an established and safe area) an 870, skeet-choked barrel, stocked with 4 rounds ought buckshot. Why only four? The only thing more frightening than the sound of a rattlesnake going off in the dark is the sound of a pump shotgun being racked in the dark.
              Moving on along, I wouldn't own any AR whatever - don't know **** about 'em and don't want to learn. They wouldn't even make good trotline sinkers unless you tied two of them together to make enough weight to sink the line properly.
              All that, and more than enough said - they ain't needed for sporting, nor for self-defense purposes. Pure toys, and God knows that I appreciate toys, to the extent that indulging myself in toys has extended my need to work awhile longer and I'm 71 years old.
              Grenades are illegal, fully automatic weapons are illegal (mostly), rocket launchers are illegal - anybody own a BAR or an M50? These particular weapons and too many more to address are designed for killing people. The armed forces' business and the law enforcement's business. All others might want them, but they ain't needed. Tell yourselves otherwise till the world looks square and level...
              I say make bump stocks and magazines that hold more than 8 rounds or so illegal for all others outside those entities.
              I have no statistics to reinforce what I'm about to say; (Livin'2hunt, you paying attention?) it is my belief that had that crazy mothereffer had not had the weapons he had that less people would be dead. Less moms and dads and people that loved the dead grieving for their losses. I can't speak for everyone, but I can sure speak for me, I could never recover from the loss of one of my babies.
              In conclusion, and allow me to repeat myself before completely closing... ban the god**** things entirely designed for killing people weapons. Other than for the military and for law enforcement.
              Yeah, I have some liberal leanings - life's experiences have molded me into who I am, for better or for worse. And I smoke some dope from time to time - just as I enjoy a drink from time to time. Pull that card - I don't care and I never will care. My son and my daughter and my grandchildren love me and respect me. I won't go so far as to say that I love me, but I'm okay with myself 'cause I might as well be.
              If some particular readers are not - well, I'll just write that off as a personal problem.

Thems my thoughts and my last words on the matter.
              Bob Lee

Comment

Originally posted by boblee View Post
                Good grief.
                If this discussion had not been conceived - as a figure of speech - by such a tragic event, it would be almost laughable. But it's not amusing and it never will be. 58 people dead and one mothereffer that don't count. All somebody's son or daughter or father or mother or brother or sister or a close or distant relative or a dear friend. Forever dead.
                Several hundred more injured. I don't know about y'all, but I personally know some people that got shot and the few of those that are still alive are just barely. I'll mention that I am a veteran, US Army. November, 1965 - November 1971. Some serious **** going on in SE Asia, do the arithmetic before challenging my experience in such matters.
                I passed down all my guns to my son after I had killed my first deer with a bow, which was in 2005, I think. I've owned more guns than most people have owned shoes, no clue as to just how many. I shot quail and I shot pheasants and I shot waterfowl and I shot doves and I shot clay targets (and a few deer) with 1100's, Browning A5's and a couple Beretta's and numerous O/U's of several makes and 870's and Model 12's (pre-64's, I'm a purist) and yessir, a few times I killed 5 on a covey rise or scratched down 3 when the ducks or geese came in just right. So I can appreciate the need and desire for a repeating firearm. Pistols? Not many, a couple dozen or so, mostly wheel guns 'cause I can't hit the ground with any **** pistol. There ain't enough fingers and toes belonging to the last dozen or so posters to count the rifles I've owned - did a lot of trading, always seeking the one that had no misses installed by the factory. I owned one Model 742 in .308 and 3 different .22 caliber semi-autos. Several lever actions, both Winchester and Marlins. All the rest were bolt guns except one. A little Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 caliber, and right behind it, a Sako mannlicher stocked .243, was my favorite.
                If I missed any deer more than twice and they were still a possible, I can't recall exactly when it might have been.
                I love classic weapons, real and good wood and fine checkering and I think it was Warren Page that said that only accurate rifles are interesting.
                To digress briefly, I've still kept one home defense weapon, (although I live in an established and safe area) an 870, skeet-choked barrel, stocked with 4 rounds ought buckshot. Why only four? The only thing more frightening than the sound of a rattlesnake going off in the dark is the sound of a pump shotgun being racked in the dark.
                Moving on along, I wouldn't own any AR whatever - don't know **** about 'em and don't want to learn. They wouldn't even make good trotline sinkers unless you tied two of them together to make enough weight to sink the line properly.
                All that, and more than enough said - they ain't needed for sporting, nor for self-defense purposes. Pure toys, and God knows that I appreciate toys, to the extent that indulging myself in toys has extended my need to work awhile longer and I'm 71 years old.
                Grenades are illegal, fully automatic weapons are illegal (mostly), rocket launchers are illegal - anybody own a BAR or an M50? These particular weapons and too many more to address are designed for killing people. The armed forces' business and the law enforcement's business. All others might want them, but they ain't needed. Tell yourselves otherwise till the world looks square and level...
                I say make bump stocks and magazines that hold more than 8 rounds or so illegal for all others outside those entities.
                I have no statistics to reinforce what I'm about to say; (Livin'2hunt, you paying attention?) it is my belief that had that crazy mothereffer had not had the weapons he had that less people would be dead. Less moms and dads and people that loved the dead grieving for their losses. I can't speak for everyone, but I can sure speak for me, I could never recover from the loss of one of my babies.
                In conclusion, and allow me to repeat myself before completely closing... ban the god**** things entirely designed for killing people weapons. Other than for the military and for law enforcement.
                Yeah, I have some liberal leanings - life's experiences have molded me into who I am, for better or for worse. And I smoke some dope from time to time - just as I enjoy a drink from time to time. Pull that card - I don't care and I never will care. My son and my daughter and my grandchildren love me and respect me. I won't go so far as to say that I love me, but I'm okay with myself 'cause I might as well be.
                If some particular readers are not - well, I'll just write that off as a personal problem.

Thems my thoughts and my last words on the matter.
                Bob Lee
                With all due respect Bob, you have the right to be wrong.

Comment

Leave me alone with my whores and dope, but no more than 8 rounds for you to protect yourself and your family? Okie dokie.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                    Leave me alone with my whores and dope, but no more than 8 rounds for you to protect yourself and your family? Okie dokie.
                    Tim Murphy, is that you????

Comment

Any rebuttal?
                      Seriously, you don't answer questions then get all snippy about no rebuttals...

Sorry. I thought I answered all your questions. Which did I miss?
                      Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                      Since you're going to duck and dodge with semantics, perhaps I should have asked:

Other than the 2nd Amendment, which Rights are you willing to forego or a portion thereof?
                      And this

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      Alcohol kills far more than 58, vehicles and hammers too... shall we prohibit them?
                      I deleted all the other words, leaving the questions only, didn't want the clutter to cause confusion

Comment

Bob Lee, though you may not respect mine, I respect your opinion and I will fight to my dying breath for you to say and believe what you just expressed. Thank you for your service and I will not pretend to know your experiences. That being said Sir, you are free to vanquish any of your Rights you so choose. Your opinions, beliefs and experiences don't afford you or me the authority to quell anyone's 2nd Amendment Rights. And yes, I do find it a touch hypocritical that you want to be left alone about your weed but you don't want me to have MY toys. Yours are okay but mine aren't? How about my long range rifles? I can blow up a cantaloupe at 800 yards like I'm shooting a tree'd coon. Those rifles can accept a 20 round magazine. Sir, while I respect you, you and I will have to agree to disagree because me and my high capacity magazines have harmed no one.

P.S. It doesn't bother me that you smoke weed.

Comment

Once again... a right has nothing to do with need.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            Once again... a right has nothing to do with need.

On the money.

It is a Bill of Rights....not a Bill of Needs.

Comment

What's an "M50" ?

Comment

It is foolishness to think that a bump fire stock is the *only* thing that enabled him to kill 58 and wound many more. Based on what we already know, the man had at least two other tools (bomb materials, airplane) that would have resulted in many THOUSANDS dead.

The simple fact is the shooter wanted to play god of wrath for 15 minutes, raining down his judgment upon the land. I paraphrased this quote from the following article, which I think everyone here should take the time to read. Twice.

Sharing Options Whenever God is formally excluded from anything, we should always suspect a power play. The “exile” of God, the “death” of God, the “silence” of God, are always seen by the unbelieving heart of man as constituting some kind of a job opening. The primal temptation was “you shall be as God” (Gen. … Continue Reading "Shooters, the Tower of Babel, and Gun Control"

Comment

Working...
                                X