Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
      x2 He will make you ware short cut off shorts. I hear
      Not until the second date.

Comment

New to bow hunting

Are there hogs where you are hunting?
        If so, go hunt some of those this spring.
        You'll learn a lot by figuring out the mistakes you make.
        Shooting at a live animal is a lot different than a block target. When you draw back on one you'll see what we're talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Pay the $ for lessons at a pro shop and don’t have to un-learn bad habits. Archery is all about form and repeating the shot sequence every shot.

As a bowhunter, when I practice the only arrow I ‘score’ is the first shot, cold.

Hunt with the wind always in your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get the best equipment you can afford but don't get caught up in buying new stuff all the time. Practice some, hunt more. Paper and 3D targets don't act like animals. If you want to be a shooter, kill all the paper and 3D animals you want. If you want to be a hunter then get in the woods. Yes, form is important and accuracy is important for an ethical shot, no need to practice at 30+ yards. Sight your bow in for 20 yards and get the animals close, you will learn their behavior, their patterns, and what will spook them(probably more this than anything for a while), then when it all comes together you harvest your animal. It could take one sit, or several seasons. Stay with it, don't be discouraged on a bad shot(they will happen), and find someone nearby that can shorten the learning curve. You will get all types of info on this website, some good and some bad(not intentionally), take what works for you and discard the rest. Once you get the hang of it, share archery/hunting with a friend. Get them into it so we can pass on and grow this type of hunting/activity with as many folks as we can. Best of luck

Comment

A shot is forever. There is no taking it back or reset button. Take your time. Mentally practice as much as you physically practice.

Comment

First deer might take a while. Don't get discouraged, well that's what I tell myself as I am still waiting 5 years in.

Enjoy flinging arrows!

Comment

Don’t know which bass pro you went to, but I hang out around Katy. And they used to offer classes through Katy ISD extended education on archery. Really liked the teacher. Not sure if it is still offered.

Lots and lots and lots of patience

Comment

Always attach your release to the "GRIP" of your bow so you dont leave it in the truck or at home your first hunt. I say grip because if you attach it around the limd it can get caught in the cam if you pull you bow back. All these and more are lessons learned the hard way.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Attach your release to your bow anywhere you want, because you should refrain from drawing your bow back with your fingers anyway and never with out an arrow loaded. This his how dry fires happen.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Attach your release to your bow anywhere you want, because you should refrain from drawing your bow back with your fingers anyway and never with out an arrow loaded. This his how dry fires happen.
                        Yes you are correct, but we all do it sooner or later.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                          True but about once a week I hear, “my buddy, Dad, girlfriend, wife, kid, tried to draw my bow while I wasn’t looking!”

Soooo...attach your release to something other than your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            True but about once a week I hear, “my buddy, Dad, girlfriend, wife, kid, tried to draw my bow while I wasn’t looking!”

Nope.

Comment

Lot's good advice so far. The old saying, practice makes perfect. is true. But only if it's good practice!!

Get either a good shop, like CCR, to help with form or a good buddy that is an archer first before you learn bad form. The 3D range is a good idea, shooting like you are going to hunt (standing/sitting/blind/treestand) and practice some with the type of clothing you will hunt with.

If hunting from a treestand please, wear a harness and practice wearing the harness and putting up your stand many times before tearin *** out into the woods...

Lastly, take a IBEP Bowhunter Ed class. If you're local to DFW we (I'm a bow ed and treestand safety instructor) have a class coming up on the 24th of this month. PM me if you would like details.

mike

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Put a zip tie around your string/cable...

Comment

Working...
                                X