Turkey chokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RyanC26 View Post
    I was looking at the Jelly Head. Up close does it do to much damage?
    Get the Jelly Head. I shoot one on my Benelli with Hevi-shot, a 60 yd shot is no problem. Depends on what your definition of up close is? Just take the bird before he gets right on top of you.

Comment

I have done a ton of research on this with this exact gun. Here's all you need to know and you can thank me later. This is the best patterning shell and chock combo out of that gun.

Primos Jellyhead .660
      Winchester XR #6's

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        One of my old hunting buddies uses a .410 bore for turkey hunting and #6 shot. He calls 'em in to within 20 yards or less and shoots 'em in the head. He told me a turkey's head is as big as a dove, and we have dove hunted with .410's for over 30 years... rest of that turkey's body don't matter. Shoot his dove sized head. Easy as shooting a dove sitting on a fence post...
        I have an O/U .410 I am going to have to give that a whirl. That sounds like a blast. Well, no pun intended but there it is. I'd guess at that close of a range 7.5 would kill them just as dead and be a more dense pattern.

Comment

I can testify to the possible downside of using a super-tight choke. A few years back I had been working a gobbler for about 30 minutes. He was slowly getting closer when another gobbler who had come in silently popped out of the brush at maybe 12 yards. He was to my right and I shouldered the shotgun awkwardly and missed! It was really embarrassing - I didn't know you could miss a turkey with a shotgun! Later that day I shot at cardboard from that distance and discovered the pattern was maybe the size of a softball. I decided to go back to my stock full Remchoke. I will trade the chance to kill one at 50 yards to make sure I kill them at shorter ranges

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I can testify to the possible downside of using a super-tight choke. A few years back I had been working a gobbler for about 30 minutes. He was slowly getting closer when another gobbler who had come in silently popped out of the brush at maybe 12 yards. He was to my right and I shouldered the shotgun awkwardly and missed! It was really embarrassing - I didn't know you could miss a turkey with a shotgun! Later that day I shot at cardboard from that distance and discovered the pattern was maybe the size of a softball. I decided to go back to my stock full Remchoke. I will trade the chance to kill one at 50 yards to make sure I kill them at shorter ranges
            John, I had a very similar experience with a buddy I took hunting... He only had a 20 ga. so I gave him my 101 12 ga, full over full with high brass #5's... told him when I call and they come in, shoot 'em in the head... I did one flyin' down cackle, and 2 big gobblers pitched down out of a big pecan tree about 20 feet in front of us and immediately went into a strut... I whispered "SHOOT"... he did, twice, both birds flew off untouched! This guy was a very good upland bird shotgunner and he was plenty embarrassed about missing 2 20+ pound giant quail at 15 yards... sittin' still!! It happens!

Comment

Best Turkey Choke for the SBEII is Indian Creek, hands down best turkey choke on the market

Comment

We are heading into Bass Pro Shops now. I didn’t realize there was a difference between the Crio Chokes and the Beretta/Benelli chokes. Glad I looked before we came up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Killed 2 with one shot with a mossberg 500 super full choke the cheapest one I could find and shooting Winchester supreme turkey loads they were 53 yards knocked them both clean over.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Killed 2 with one shot with a mossberg 500 super full choke the cheapest one I could find and shooting Winchester supreme turkey loads they were 53 yards knocked them both clean over.

Me too
                    Same gun but at 30 yards

Comment

Even though BPS Grapevine was sold out of the chokes I am interested in, I bought a new hen decoy. Their reality series looks awesome. I am thinking about replacing my Jake decoy with one of those as well.

Comment

Full choke and #4 mags- killer.

Comment

Regular old full choke and either 3" 4 or 5's. Shot two last year with a full choked .410 with 6's.

Comment

You can kill em with a skeet choke if you get them where they need to be. Stock full chokes are fine.

I shoot a Benelli 20 ga and use a Primos Jellyhead because I like the way it rolls off my tongue when I say it and its gets me into the cool club.... Seriously though, I misplaced my full and bought what a buddy of mine had some good success with years ago. It patterned well with 3" #4 Pheasant loads and it has killed everything it threw lead at. I'm sold but I'm not going to say it is better than anything else or "hands down the best" because I haven't compared it to anything else. It just works for me for the distance I like to kill turkeys.

And no thanks to the specialized turkey shells. The are specialized in that they take more cash out of your wallet than they need too.
                            Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

If I shotgun hunt it's with a 20 gauge, modified choke, 20 yards or less. I'll be trying the .410 thing with a full choke this season. There is really zero reason to shoot a turkey at 40+ yards in my opinion. My buddy uses a choke called the "undertaker", it's pretty hard on them birds.

Comment

I agree with a lot of the comments here. If you are trying to kill turkeys out past 30 yards, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like duck hunting, be where they want to be, good decoys and placement and good calling in small amounts and you'll have them in your lap. People who shoot turkeys with a shotgun at 70 yards are not turkey hunters.....there....I said it....

Comment

Working...
                                X