Teacher Pay raises, Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.

You knew the pay scale for said job when you picked it as your major.

Comment

Alright....so opinion time....I think that our teachers definitely deserve raises. But I also think that all school personnel deserve to be paid a living wage. I understand that the money has to come from somewhere (our pockets) but the lunch lady and the maintenance men and the janitors have bills too. And yes...I realize they can do what all of us have done and fight and scratch and claw for education and opportunity but in some areas it's not as easily accomplished.

When teachers are making 36k a year what do we presume the support staff are making? If we are having to subsidize their way of life through government handouts anyway let's slash those programs and add that money to their checks. If at that point they can't swim or make poor choices with well then let em sink.
      Last edited by Jon B; 04-04-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        The legislature is trying to give teachers a pay raise for this coming year, but the bis being presented by the Senate and House are far apart. The Senate wants an across the board $5000 raise for teachers and librarians. The House is proposing less than $2000 across the board with most money going to the districts to dole out as they see fit (most teachers will not see any of that money given to the districts IMHO).

I know some on here will say we do not need a pay raise because of all the time we have off during the year (yea right!), but the pay raises we get from year to year are down right sorry. My pay raise this year was $200 as will next year's raise!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the Legislature is saying the average salary for a Texas school teacher is over $53,000 per year. In this district and we are not all that small, a teacher would have to teach 22 years to reach the $53,000 level, 22 YEARS!

I personally want the across the board $5000 raise and believe we have earned it and I firmly believe that any "extra" money given for raises to a district, we will never see a penny of that. While we get these whopping $200 raises each year on average, some at our Central office enjoyed a $5000 to $20,000 pay raise!

OK my rant is over as I have to get ready for the 16 kids in my unit that ALL have behaviors problems. Suprisingly, I have yet to be bloodied working with these kids YET! A big change from the previous 8 years where I was bloodied multiple times during the year.

Have a great day TBH'ers!
        You can't give it to the districts to dole out. It needs to be across the board if they're going to do it.

Comment

Raise the salary across the board $10k. Improve pension. Most underpaid professional field out there and can’t think of anything more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I'd vote for $10,000...
            This!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
              After spending the last several years around the latest group of young adults, I would say that teachers deserve everything they can get. The kids are a general PIA. The parents are worse. If my parents saw me behave the way I have seen some 18-21 years old. They would have beat me to within an inch of my life and disowned me. I have seen parents excuse ridiculous behavior and get angry at the authority figure for correcting or attempting to correct it.
              If you want a job where you get paid accordingly for taking care of humans that are PIA then go be a corrections officer. You are paid to teach, if you dont like it quit. There are other 2.0 GPA students straight out of school lined up to teach our youth.

Comment

No, money needs to go to Taj Mahal school buildings and football stadiums like we do in Alvin ISD.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
                  I’d say most teachers deserve a raise but an across the board I dunno, I understand giving it to the district and them not doling it out, but shouldn’t You get a raise based on merits not just because? I didn’t get a raise this year and I work in a hospital saving people lives and keeping them alive, most years we get 3% based on all the extra crap we do outside of normal work day. Teachers should get raises based on performance not just handing out free money because you signed up for a job knowing the pay scale then changing your mind.

Remember a teacher taught you how to save lives and keep them alive.

Comment

Teachers deserve a 10k increase in pay. Very difficult job. God bless y’all in the education world.

Comment

For any who say no, I'd say go get yourself a substitute teacher license and give it a try.

This is a job I wish everybody could try for at least a day or two.

Some classrooms are great. Others, you're thinking 'how does this teacher do this every day?'.

Comment

Teachers are vitally important to our children and their futures they deserve more pay but the state will not fund the local budgets in order to allow for across the board raises without raising local property taxes which no one is in favor of it is hard for a district to make raises work...if they mandate this raise I pray they provide the funding from the state level if not all tax payers will be held responsible for more property tax to cover it...it is truly a double edge sword...
                        I serve on our local board and it has really frustrated me how the state handles funding our schools in general when we know the revenue the state has taken in over the last few years due to the eagle ford and many other revenue sources (lottery etc.) and they don't invest it in our people!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          This state ****** away enough money on non-essential BS to turn our education system into a model for the rest of the country. No state is better equipped to do it, and it embarrasses me that we havn't yet.
                          Bingeaux!!![emoji298][emoji298][emoji298]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t have to read anything other than the title.

Absolutely! And while we are at it let’s add first responders to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
                              I’d say most teachers deserve a raise but an across the board I dunno, I understand giving it to the district and them not doling it out, but shouldn’t You get a raise based on merits not just because? I didn’t get a raise this year and I work in a hospital saving people lives and keeping them alive, most years we get 3% based on all the extra crap we do outside of normal work day. Teachers should get raises based on performance not just handing out free money because you signed up for a job knowing the pay scale then changing your mind.
                              It's hard to base anything on "performance" for teachers. I use to agree with you, but after seeing the crap my wife deals with I just feel for them now. People will say "well base it off of the STAAR test", what about the teachers like my wife who are teaching 3rd graders that can't read and have only been speaking English for a year?? She didn't ask for the obstacle, but she works her *** of 14 hours a day and looses time with our 7 month old because she cares.. The entire system is pegged against the teachers.

Allowing the district to handle money is a lot like this....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwZVGKG30s"]And it's GONE!!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
                                No.

You knew the pay scale for said job when you picked it as your major.
                                They knew the rough amounts they could possibly start at. But had no idea how bad raises would be. And no idea heath care costs would soar or retirement packages would be this bad.

How about if all people paid with taxpayer money rom now on gets the same benefits as teachers?

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
                                If you want a job where you get paid accordingly for taking care of humans that are PIA then go be a corrections officer. You are paid to teach, if you dont like it quit. There are other 2.0 GPA students straight out of school lined up to teach our youth.
                                And that's the problem. The good teachers are being replaced by young brainwashed just out of college teachers.

I don't know about you but in every other profession that's a bad thing. You want all new rookie LEOs to help you? A whole rookie fire department coming to your house fire? Nothing but fresh out of school doctors operating on you?

And also they are paid to be puppets now. They thought they were getting paid to teach..which is what they should be doing versus the other BS they deal with each day.

Comment

Working...
                                X