No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jbarr I agree with you. Just got done with 2 game sin the cold wind. Team my kid is on has 3 coaches that were all from D1 college programs. They don't have kids playing baseball. They could care less about who's parents get upset. Ive seen them bench everyone of the kids at some point. It is kinda nice as none of the kids have anything to gripe about because someone else in playing in front of them.

Comment

Worst thing about "select" type ball is the parents.

Comment

I had a lot of good times watching my boys play select baseball. I really don't see anyway around it if your son is going to play for a good high school program. The coaching and competition in little league is very poor these days. My older two boys are a junior and senior at Boerne Champion this year. All 26 players on our varsity roster played select baseball. I honestly don't remember a player ever coming thru rec ball and making our high school team. It is time consuming and expensive but the competition they face pays off in high school. Most high school coaches these days just manage the players they have. The actual teaching is all done by the ex pro select coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          Worst thing about "select" type ball is the parents.
          No doubt. You see a some kids that just look like they don't even want to be there, but are there because mom and dad want them there. There are plenty of parents that act a fool and take most of the fun out of it for the kids. Every kid on the field is going to be in the big leagues someday in their parent's minds.

Comment

ALL 3 of my son's played select BB and HS sports. I was so thrilled when select was over and my school tax $$ and hard earned cash went to their HS years. If I had all the $$ I spent on equipment, fees, travel, hotels...dang...I'd have every hunting opportunity I would ever want available. But, then I would have never seen those great memories I'll take to my grave. Enjoy....but wow, it's a challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
              ALL 3 of my son's played select BB and HS sports. I was so thrilled when select was over and my school tax $$ and hard earned cash went to their HS years. If I had all the $$ I spent on equipment, fees, travel, hotels...dang...I'd have every hunting opportunity I would ever want available. But, then I would have never seen those great memories I'll take to my grave. Enjoy....but wow, it's a challenge!
              X2. Sacrifices we make for our kids.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post
                Banditos and the Bengals are 2 of the best baseball organizations around. I wish they weren't so far away from us.
                Might check out Texas Bluechips thats where we are and its a great place. The coaches really care about the kids. They are growing very fast also. My son plays on the 8u team.

Comment

some of the best fun and worst times. my son started with d-bat when he was younger and loved it then it started to be only about the money not quality. just MY opinion. began to be about how many more teams could they add not just cut kids that didn't make the 2 teams his age group had. we then played for arlington A's . My son then decided baseball became less and less fun and focused on football and got football scholarship and baseball was his better sport.

never forget the conversation with his varsity coach after he benched my son after he got on base all3 times up to bat and scored all 3 times. my son was lead off, led the team in on base % and led the team by a long shot in walks. coach said he wanted someone more aggressive at swinging bat......he would rather have some one swinging away striking out and not getting on vs someone that gets walked on avg twice a game.

Comment

My oldest is playing select and nations elite - 10U. He plays with a tight knit group of Sugar Land kids on a team called the Salty Dawgs. We may see some of you guys in the near future.

Comment

My two cents as the father of 4 girls, two of which played a lot of AAU Basketball and two that will soon:

If you have your kid in it for the love of the game, then great....support them and push them to be as good as they're willing to work to be. If you've got your kid in it so that they can get a scholarship to play college ball, save your money that you're spending on select ball and pay for college yourself. My girls played with and against plenty of kids whose parents were dropping a ton of coin on select basketball so their kid would get noticed and get a scholarship. That same money would have paid for an education at a decent school. Instead, their kids ended up playing at some school you've never heard of in BFE, Iowa or Backwoods, Kentucky on a partial scholarship and Mom and Dad were out thousands of dollars spent on select basketball. My daughter made a choice early on, D1 or nothing. When she didn't get a D1 offer, she chose to go to TAMU on a Daddy scholarship. We were fortunate that the AAU team that she played for was sponsored and we paid a very small amount. She got a ton of experience, a ton of exposure and her game was elevated through tougher competition. Keep those goals in mind and you won't have many regrets.

Off my soapbox now.

Comment

Have a daughter playing 8U select. This is our first year in select and so far so good. We are playing competitively at the tourneys we have been to but are not the best team yet by far. It beats the same old league ball year after year for sure. We had gotten to the point that she had exceeded 95% in her age group in league and needed a more competitive field to play in. She has her hands full now for sure but is making huge strides on the field. Great memories for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          My two cents as the father of 4 girls, two of which played a lot of AAU Basketball and two that will soon:

If you have your kid in it for the love of the game, then great....support them and push them to be as good as they're willing to work to be. If you've got your kid in it so that they can get a scholarship to play college ball, save your money that you're spending on select ball and pay for college yourself. My girls played with and against plenty of kids whose parents were dropping a ton of coin on select basketball so their kid would get noticed and get a scholarship. That same money would have paid for an education at a decent school. Instead, their kids ended up playing at some school you've never heard of in BFE, Iowa or Backwoods, Kentucky on a partial scholarship and Mom and Dad were out thousands of dollars spent on select basketball. My daughter made a choice early on, D1 or nothing. When she didn't get a D1 offer, she chose to go to TAMU on a Daddy scholarship. We were fortunate that the AAU team that she played for was sponsored and we paid a very small amount. She got a ton of experience, a ton of exposure and her game was elevated through tougher competition. Keep those goals in mind and you won't have many regrets.

Off my soapbox now.
                          Very well said and I'll add that the NCAA still allows 11.7 total scholarships per baseball team, to be split among a 35 man roster.

Comment

Curt- spot on. I see a lot o folks dumping $$$ in thinking there is some type of return. I have no idea what my kid will do. He may not even play high school baseball as he seems to like football more. He does like baseball and likes playing at the level he is playing. I do support him hope this baseball teaches something positive about life.

Yesterday he did throw 2 shutout innings and had a 3 RBI double in a 4 run tie ballgame.

Comment

I have been doing this for along time and have seen my fair share of daddy ball. Like I said up top I have a son on the team, but he earns his spot every week just like every kid on the team. I have benched him more than his fair share for making mistakes as other have out played him on days. I care about the development of the kids and putting the best product on the field to win ball games. I will say this as well if you are in select ball to see your kid get a scholarship your in it for the wrong reasons only about 20% of the kids go on to play college ball and start and maybe less than that. I love this game and the kids that play it and if I can give them their best shot at playing at a higher level then my job is done. I only worry about the kids not the parents most parents need to just sit back and let their kids play ball.

Comment

If you have a team that 20% play ball past high school then y'all are putting out some studs. Baseball is not a sport you get rides to school with anymore

Comment

Working...
                                X