who all has beehives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who all has beehives?

So after I got attacked today it got me thinking how I'd like to eat those bastages honey. Who has hives? Where do you get them? How hard is it to rob them and get the honey to an edible amount and how often can you Rob them.

who all has beehives?

I make my own hives . I run top bar hives . There are lot of supply stores . Mann lake . Dixie bee supply . eBay and Amazon . I have not harvested my honey yet . Still new bee keeper . I have harvested about 10 gallons of honey from cut out jobs .

Comment

The good news is you are not allergic. Owning and robing bee hives = 50 bites a year. We had 2 and after a couple of years it was a just a mosquito bite.
      Now at 61 I am very allergic to all wasp / bee bites......

Comment

who all has beehives?

also get my bees from removals or swarm traps . Buying bees is very expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          I make my own hives . I run top bar hives . There are lot of supply stores . Mann lake . Dixie bee supply . eBay and Amazon . I have not harvested my honey yet . Still new bee keeper . I have harvested about 10 gallons of honey from cut out jobs .
          How do you make a hive?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            also get my bees from removals or swarm traps . Buying bees is very expensive
            Will a colony live/produce for very long? Can you just set out an empty hive and have bees take up residence?

Comment

my dads been doing it for 20 years, it can be a lot of work but very fun and rewarding if you get into it. I even had a bee hive in my room like an ant farm….my dad ran a tunnel from outside our house and had three clear plexiglass hives stacked. I need to find a pic and post it, it was impressive.

Comment

who all has beehives?

I just watched a few YouTube videos on top bar hives . As for the traps I built I use a lure called swarm commander or lemon grass oil . It smells just like the pheromones the queen puts out when she is ready to breed . I like to place them about 8 to 10 feet up in a tree . I just set a few traps last week .

Comment

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

A swarm I caught in my trap . Trap has been out 5 days .

Comment

I've been a hobbyist beekeeper for quite some time. You can order bees from the Weavers here in Texas. You can order equipment from Dadant also in Texas. Catching swarms can be a way to obtain honey bees is how I got started but now a days you have to be careful. They can be a wild Africanized swarm.

Comment

I have 4 hives, I got all of them by removing them for other people. I get 15-20 quarts of honey per hive when we have a good/wet year. During the drought years, I got none.

Comment

I have 2 hives in oak trees about 50 yards apart. The problem with them is I want to replace the fence line and they are too close to be running a welder close to. One is 5 foot off ground and other is 15 foot. Both have been there for past 10 years. I was quoted 200 dollars for each hive to remove them....my father was a bee keeper he had all equipment to remove the honey but him at 88 years young he can't do it anymore. I was going to wait for very cold day then dump insecticide in hole in oak tree and seal them up ..Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                          I have 2 hives in oak trees about 50 yards apart. The problem with them is I want to replace the fence line and they are too close to be running a welder close to. One is 5 foot off ground and other is 15 foot. Both have been there for past 10 years. I was quoted 200 dollars for each hive to remove them....my father was a bee keeper he had all equipment to remove the honey but him at 88 years young he can't do it anymore. I was going to wait for very cold day then dump insecticide in hole in oak tree and seal them up ..Andy
                          I bet you could find someone to get them for free. Been populations are also on the decline. And think about all that good honey.

Comment

S&S, There is a place on the east side of Conroe that has some old used ones for sale. It is a salvage yard on HWY 105 near FM 1485. You would have to clean them up and make sure there are no mites in them. They have a couple different sizes.

Comment

I wonder how many bees are in this one? Hairspray is what's killing all the bees.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X