No announcement yet.

School me on hearing protection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Howard Leight are great, for the price, IF you order the replacement gel ear pads off amazon. I think they are Zohan brand.

Comment

Walkers game ear are ok but definitely not indoors. They don’t suppress enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mac777 View Post
        Im new but have profound hearing loss so i thought i would comment.

if you are being told to get real hearing aids, I have had good results with Starkey and Audibel since 2007. But the prices are ridiculous. However, each ear is programmed for your specific hearing loss and they work well. go cic or invisible, they will try to talk you into the over the ear but those get knocked off and beat up and visible if you worry about that...they do have good mics tho.

For hearing protection I use molded made for my ear protection inserts. You can get at some gun show booths (like Tanner in Denver) they do the whole ear mold and make right there while you wait. an audiologist can also make. gunshows are cheaper cost for this..

When i misplace my molded (like right now) I will use foam inserts the round orange or blue ones and then some really good 3M or other branded headphones for snowboarding type .

I have found even better inserts for the ear to block everything from motorcycle riding ...they are the best for shutting down all noise, put some headphones over this and I would imagine it what being deaf would be like...i cant find the name of them and my motorcycle and those plugs are out of state where i ride
        Which brand is best for headphones?

Comment

Bump

Comment

I also have the same issue

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Randy2Loris View Post
                Which brand is best for headphones?
                MSA/Sordin are as close to objectively "the best" as you're likely to get.

Comment

I am a big fan of the Howard Leights.... I have used them for 5-6 years and they seal on my melon head just fine. They are adjustable and I have no issue making them fit

I like them because they are slim, because they do their job with the gun fire, the battery life is great and they amplify conversations in the field. We call birds for each other if we see them to help each other out and these electronic muffs shine there...especially when its windy. Once I get into the field I don't even notice them being there.

Only downfall is you have to wear them with a baseball type cap. If I want to wear my big sun hat on those brutal Sept afternoons I bought a pair of Decibullz self molding plugs with the percussive filters. They are great on the clays range and shooting in general as they allow for general conversation, but they don't allow me to hear my buddies calling birds for me in the field. I'm sold on them for shooting in general but not for the whole dove hunting game like my Howard Leights.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=decibullz...b_sb_ss_i_3_18

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9995.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	24592295
                  Last edited by Smart; 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I bought these a few years ago for all my family. They have been good

Pro For Sho 34dB Shooting Ear Protection - Special Designed Ear Muffs Lighter Weight & Maximum Hearing Protection - Standard Size, Purple
                    by Pro For Sho
                    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FL5BQGA..._GX6FDbRE4MX30

Comment

Foam Plugs with muffs worn over. Field Artillery for a few years and lots of lead down range. I'm 60 and can still hear, mostly...(have trouble hearing my wife I'm told :-))

Comment

I worked in a factory from my early 20's and wore EAR brand plug (the yellow memory foam cylinders) religiously. In spite of being in a place for 20 years that caused most of my coworkers to have profound hearing loss, my ears are pretty good for a man now approaching 60.

In terms of electronic ear pro - MSA/Sordin, Peltor, Walkers - probably in that order are the best due to the compression technology they use over the cheaper (but better than nothing) Howard Leight's that just clip the sound.

My favorite ear pro when hunting is from Silencerco. But on the range even when I'm using a suppressor it's EAR plugs and Peltor Sport Tac's over the top.

Comment

Dang, yall stepped up with a lot of info, thanx.

Comment

I’m another big fan of Howard Leights. They fit me good, they amplify sounds to a certain dB limit, and you can get them pretty cheap. Amazon puts them on sale from time to time.

Comment

All hearing protection has a db rating on them or the packaging I'd have to redo some research as to how much they actually reduce the noise but get the highest rating ones you can get back when I went through the training those little Christmas shaped rubber ones were the worst they had a nrr (noise reduction rating) of 3 and would let like 97% of the db through (these aren't actual numbers just kinda as close as I can remember) the best ones you could get plugs or muffs were 29. There were some things we did, like depressuring high pressure gas lines, we had to put in plugs put muffs over that and still had to get 2-300 feet away to get into the >100db range. If I remember right any hp with nrr of 29 would put you in the safe zone with most gunfire.

Comment

Me and my wife both use the Peltor's.

After years of range shooting, hunting and "Siren's" I though I was ok but my wife tells me I'm getting worse hearing her? Maybe so, but I call it "Selective Hearing Loss."

Seriously, I do have some problems due to the past so TAKE PRECAUTIONS NOW!

Comment

Working...
                                X